testtest

Chronograph: Why checking your speed proves invaluable

I hope to obtain and use a chronograph one day. I never have, and at this point I have nowhere to use one. All of my shooting is an indoor, 20 yard range. Now, the state outdoor shooting range that closed for a 3 month renovation 2 years ago recently opened. I have plans to check it out. I'm confident that a chronograph will bless me with its presence next year.
That said, I really want to get a chronograph on the most painful load I've ever made up. Here are the load details, just for reference.
R-P case, 40 S&W, CCI 500 SPP, Vihtavuori 3N37 7.3gr (starting load), Everglades Ammo 165gr JHP RN, 1.125" COL. Springfield EMP 40 S&W 3" barrel.
I shot 5 rounds of the 8 I loaded into the magazine, then had to quit. The rounds were dead center accurate, but the recoil was so severe I thought I would ruin my gun. 1911s can take a pounding, but I've never fired anything that beat me up as this load. I immediately put those rounds away, swearing to never touch that load again. I could still feel the results the next day throughout my right chest and back. Aleve helped...a little.
I've reconfirmed that load in multiple VV catalogues and their loading app. Never again!

A chronograph IS a great tool for the hand loader
I did pretty much the same thing with a 3 1/2 inch barrel , after that I shoot 180gr at 900 fps out of that pistol

Back