testtest

Classics That Are Worth Reading?

wmg1299

Professional
I grew up as a huge sports fan. I gave up on the NFL and NBA completely last year due to the constant insertion of politics into the games. For the first time in 40 years, I haven’t watched an MLB game all summer for the same reason. I had a brief and mediocre pro MMA career in my younger days, and the big organizations have avoided becoming SJW platforms, so I will still watch fights every now and then.

With all the free time from ditching pro sports, I’ve started reading many more books. The problem is, I find myself reading current books, which tend to draw me back into the political realm. Strictly out of spite, I’ve read every recent non-fiction book that progressives have tried to ban. Several of them were good books, but none of them were a relaxing read due to the political tone.

I want to start reading the classics that I should have read as a kid. I’ve read about 20 famous works that are considered classics, but there are easily a hundred more that I haven’t read. What I’m hoping to avoid is long-winded “Classic” works that are only relevant because college professors love them. I’ll read War and Peace if it tells a great story, but not just to prove that I’m artsy enough to read a 1400-page novel.

Which of the classic books have you guys read and actually enjoyed?

I grew up as a huge sports fan. I gave up on the NFL and NBA completely last year due to the constant insertion of politics into the games. For the first time in 40 years, I haven’t watched an MLB game all summer for the same reason. I had a brief and mediocre pro MMA career in my younger days, and the big organizations have avoided becoming SJW platforms, so I will still watch fights every now and then.

With all the free time from ditching pro sports, I’ve started reading many more books. The problem is, I find myself reading current books, which tend to draw me back into the political realm. Strictly out of spite, I’ve read every recent non-fiction book that progressives have tried to ban. Several of them were good books, but none of them were a relaxing read due to the political tone.

I want to start reading the classics that I should have read as a kid. I’ve read about 20 famous works that are considered classics, but there are easily a hundred more that I haven’t read. What I’m hoping to avoid is long-winded “Classic” works that are only relevant because college professors love them. I’ll read War and Peace if it tells a great story, but not just to prove that I’m artsy enough to read a 1400-page novel.

Which of the classic books have you guys read and actually enjoyed?
My favorite classics book is To Kill a Mockingbird I read this book once a year

I am a big fan of the classics. Steinbeck, JD Salinger, Truman Capote, George Orwell, Aldous Huxley, etc..

Start with Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger and On the Road by Jack Kerouac.
I read most of Kerouac's stuff when I was in college. I liked On the Road, but Maggie Cassidy was actually my favorite of his books. I read 1984 last month, and am working through Brave New World now. I was supposed to read them both in high school, but I was stubborn and rarely ever actually read anything I was "assigned".

I've also read Catcher In the Rye during my college years. It's a stupid reason, but I picked it up after seeing the Mel Gibson/Julia Roberts Conspiracy Theory movie. I believe I saw the movie on a date and was a little embarrassed to admit that I had no idea what Catcher was about and didn't see why it was such a big part of the movie.

I have never read any of Steinbeck's works. My father was a Steinbeck fan, and I think there may be an old copy of Cannery Row somewhere in my house. I'll put Steinbeck on the list.

My favorite classics book is To Kill a Mockingbird I read this book once a year
My son had to read To Kill a Mockingbird for school last year. I'm an attorney, and it's pretty much mandatory that we all read Mockingbird. Law school professors make so many Atticus Finch references that anyone who hasn't read it will fall behind. Luckily, it's an excellent book. I even named the family beagle Scout because of it.

My classics would include The volumes of the collected Sherlock Holmes works by Conan Doyle originally published in Strand magazine. the Hobbitt and Lord of the Rings trilogy. Frankenstien, Dracula, the complete works of Edgar Allen Poe, various HG Wells.

Not considered classics would be the Wheel of Time series, Carry the Wind series, Fred Bears field notes, The overmountain men series, Allen Ekerts Frontiersmen series

Allen Ekerts works are quite good, and I understand very historically accurate where he weaves dialog around known historical characters and events.

It's a little sad, but I know most of Verne's and Wells' stories from comic book style "Illustrated Books" that I had as a child. They weren't actually comic books, but they weren't much different. It's probably about time that I read a version without pictures.
I had those, too…they made me want to read the actual books after…

I read most of Kerouac's stuff when I was in college. I liked On the Road, but Maggie Cassidy was actually my favorite of his books. I read 1984 last month, and am working through Brave New World now. I was supposed to read them both in high school, but I was stubborn and rarely ever actually read anything I was "assigned".

I've also read Catcher In the Rye during my college years. It's a stupid reason, but I picked it up after seeing the Mel Gibson/Julia Roberts Conspiracy Theory movie. I believe I saw the movie on a date and was a little embarrassed to admit that I had no idea what Catcher was about and didn't see why it was such a big part of the movie.

I have never read any of Steinbeck's works. My father was a Steinbeck fan, and I think there may be an old copy of Cannery Row somewhere in my house. I'll put Steinbeck on the list.

My favorite Salinger books are Franny and Zooey and Raise High the Roofbeams Carpenter.

Steinbeck's short stories are fantastic. Tortilla Flats, Of Mice and Men, etc...

- The Bible ( I’m on Romans right now)
- All Quiet on the Western Front, by Remarque
- Kim, by Rudyard Kipling
- Short stories by William Faulkner (southern gothic)

Recommend two that contain more than people realize:
- Treasure Island by RL Stevenson
- Silas Marner by Elliot

Not classic but a few to consider:
- slapstick outdoor humor by Patrick F. McManus
- The Old Man and the Boy, Robt Ruark
- Centennial and Chesapeake, both James Michener (a discerning reader will get more history out of him than any college course).

Read many Classics Illustrated mags when younger and indeed they did point me in the direction of the actual books. Have read much, mostly fantasy, fiction and historical type books....and way too many tech books. :) But, haven't read them many in years. Rarely watch TV anymore. Maybe a good time to start back up on reading them with all the craziness going on though?

On bright side and a little off the wall, have heard libraries are opening back up. Local one here is now open. Other reason mentioned libraries opening back up is they have lists of different types, fields, etc. of various books. Sometimes those library lists are available online to general public too....just need to know correct site is all. May help you in your search?

My favorite go to classic is the Bible. I love reading the corresponding Proverb for the day of the month.
That's a given for me. I've been doing the Join the Journey daily devotionals since 2012. I read The Bible when I was growing up, but didn't even come close to appreciating it. I've read completely through multiple times by now, but still learn new things when reading scripture.

By the way, I’m not much on drawn out Russian literature… but there’s a short story by Tolstoy everyone here oughta read:
How Much Land Does a Man Need?

*** Break ***
If you are into American classics of the pioneer genre, try
My Antonia by Cather ( and her others like O! Pioneers! )
Old Jules, by Mari Sandoz ( not listed as a classic anywhere I’ve seen, but oughta be for its portrayal of Nebraska’s ‘taming’)

That's a given for me. I've been doing the Join the Journey daily devotionals since 2012. I read The Bible when I was growing up, but didn't even come close to appreciating it. I've read completely through multiple times by now, but still learn new things when reading scripture.
Also the only authentic self-help book there is.

Back