testtest

cleaning 1911 slide

Old_Me

Ronin
i went to the range yesterday, took my D/W Pointman .45

had a good time, as usual.

took the gun home for a field stripping/cleaning and lube, as usual.

as i was scrubbing the breech face with the brass (bronze??) cleaning brush, a bristle came off and went into the extractor opening.

now, in all frankness, i didn't think that one little bristle would be problematic, but i couldn't let it stay in there either.

so, now, this was going to be my first time, taking apart a 1911 slide.

i have taken apart all my Glock slides however.

came apart easy enough, removed the bristle, cleaned out the extractor tube and the firing pin tube, then "tried" to reassemble.

actually, that was easy as well....however, i had the firing pin stop backasswards.....

oh well.......got it right, eventually.

not too many rds thru this particular D/W, only now...300

was dirty inside there, but then again, i do shoot reloaded ammo, and i know for a fact, where i get that from, it IS dirty ammo.

tell you what too, i was a tiny bit nervous about taking apart a high dollar 1911, over a "cheaper" Glock

now, to buy more brass (bronze??) cleaning brushes.

I only use a nylon ‘toothbrush’ brush to clean breechface, rails etc.

But whatever you do, I’d advise against using any brush of harder material than brgonze.
yeah, i just ordered up 2 sets of 10 bronze cleaning brushes made by Otis. i, for whatever reason, thought they were brass, but after seeing the brushes online, they are indeed bronze. even the Hoppes, which is also bronze.

but too, in my arsenal of cleaning supplies, i do have tooth brushes.

If it works like a regular 1911, look at the rear of the slide where the firing pin is. Push the firing pin in and carefully slide the retaining clip down. Remember the pin has a strong spring that can send the pin flying across the room or into your face.

yeah, i had a terry towel on my work bench, held the slide very close to it, at a downward angle, and slid off the pin stop. easy peasy......

Back