testtest

Cleaning Your BCG: Keep Your AR Running

Good read.
Dismantling, field strip and cleaning regiment is an important step to master.
Found this on the auto parts checkout counter the needle point is quite handy...

image.jpg

At one point I needed a way to clean many guns with as little time and effort as possible. A parts washer with mineral spirits, wire tooth brushes, and an air compressor with minimal scraping got it done. Of course you need to be sure to lube adequately afterward because the solvent strips all the oil away.

Since getting my SIG piston driven 516 I have been amazed at how clean the bolt carrier group stays as compared to a direct impingement rifle. My experience is that AR's like to run wet. My $.02 worth.

At one point I needed a way to clean many guns with as little time and effort as possible. A parts washer with mineral spirits, wire tooth brushes, and an air compressor with minimal scraping got it done. Of course you need to be sure to lube adequately afterward because the solvent strips all the oil away.

Since getting my SIG piston driven 516 I have been amazed at how clean the bolt carrier group stays as compared to a direct impingement rifle. My experience is that AR's like to run wet. My $.02 worth.
Everyone says that, but lubing mine much more conservatively than most internet videos tell you to do has worked for me just fine. I lube what needs to be lubed and nothing else. I have never just sprayed my BCGs through the ejection port. I lube the bolt and all the bearing surfaces ( anything that ends up looking shiny.)

IME people dramatically overlube their guns. Not just ARs either.

Good article and brought my attention back to my BCG on my AR-15. After reading it, I actually pulled it out of the safe to re-examine and insure my BCG was as clean as it should be!
In 1975 - 1979 I was issued an M-16 A1. Of course, the US Army taught us quite well how and why to keep that weapon clean & lubed. Pretty much every time we shoot, I clean the weapons thoroughly.
It was a good refresher!

Since I last posted in this thread I have discovered Wilson Ultima Lube, which is like a medium between grease and oil. It's like I imagine LSA to be. Not straight grease but definitely thicker than oil or CLP. I have been lubing all my BCGs with it. Man the action is slick and smooth. I use Slip 2000 EWL on everything else.

I use SEAL 1 on everything handguns rifles and shotguns. It's an all in one does everything product. Have not had any issues with it. Used to use Break Free religiously on everything but switched to SEAL 1. Just my two cents worth....

I use SEAL 1 on everything handguns rifles and shotguns. It's an all in one does everything product. Have not had any issues with it. Used to use Break Free religiously on everything but switched to SEAL 1. Just my two cents worth....
I use Seal 1 too. Normally just on the bore. It definitely cleans carbon way better than normal bore solvent. Though I have used it like a grease.

Break-Free CLP-4 is what I have been using the last couple years. No problems. Needed some, was too busy to go shopping and I got it on Amazon. Been good on all Rifles, Handguns and Shotguns.

Do not know why this statement went BIG & BOLD!

Break-Free CLP-4 is what I have been using the last couple years. No problems. Needed some, was too busy to go shopping and I got it on Amazon. Been good on all Rifles, Handguns and Shotguns.

Do not know why this statement went BIG & BOLD!
Break Free is good stuff for sure. I switched from Break Free CLP to Lucas Oil Extreme awhile back.

I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but I was curious about something. How many of you remove and clean your ejectors as part of routine maintenance ? I haven't mostly because I don't have spare roll pins ( this will soon be rectified however) and conventional wisdom is that roll pins are a one time use item.

Back