testtest

CobraTec Knives?

wmg1299

Professional
I got into firearms pretty late in the game (I didn't buy my first gun until I was 28), and have never been a "knife guy". I carried a small Buck folder as a kid, and carried a Leatherman for work as an adult until I became a police officer. I liked the Kershaw Speedsafe assisted-opening system, so I carried assorted Kershaws throughout my LEO career. I have always tried to buy American whenever possible, and have carried a USA Made Kershaw Link for the past few years.

One of the most upstanding officers I had the honor of serving with has been doing some work with a company called CobraTec out of Waxahachie, TX. From what I can tell, the blades are made overseas out of D2 Steel and the knives are assembled in Texas. I picked up two of their side-button automatic knives to show my support. They seem like quality knives, but I admittedly know almost nothing about knives. Do any of the more experienced knife owners on this forum have any knowledge of this company or their products? I'm keeping the knives regardless, because I bought them to support a buddy, but I'd like to know if they are viewed as generally reliable knives that would be worth carrying over my Kershaw. Any honest and educated opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have this OTF from them. ---> https://cobratecknives.com/collections/lightweight/products/lightweight-carbon-fiber

I ordered it on 8-24-2020 and it was i9n my mail on 8-27-20. I have carried and used it every day since I got it . It seems to hold an edge reasonably well and is fairly easy to sharpen. It is also very easy to take apart and work on should you need to.
I hope this helps you.

Which knives did you buy?

I replaced a Kershaw Launch 6 with the CobraTec . The Kershaw is a nice auto knife but it doesn't have a safety and after cutting myself 3 times because the blade had opened in my pocket , without me knowing , I was looking for something different.

I wasn't sure that I would like an OTF but had always wanted one . I love this one.

I got into firearms pretty late in the game (I didn't buy my first gun until I was 28), and have never been a "knife guy". I carried a small Buck folder as a kid, and carried a Leatherman for work as an adult until I became a police officer. I liked the Kershaw Speedsafe assisted-opening system, so I carried assorted Kershaws throughout my LEO career. I have always tried to buy American whenever possible, and have carried a USA Made Kershaw Link for the past few years.

One of the most upstanding officers I had the honor of serving with has been doing some work with a company called CobraTec out of Waxahachie, TX. From what I can tell, the blades are made overseas out of D2 Steel and the knives are assembled in Texas. I picked up two of their side-button automatic knives to show my support. They seem like quality knives, but I admittedly know almost nothing about knives. Do any of the more experienced knife owners on this forum have any knowledge of this company or their products? I'm keeping the knives regardless, because I bought them to support a buddy, but I'd like to know if they are viewed as generally reliable knives that would be worth carrying over my Kershaw. Any honest and educated opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I haven't heard of that town in a while. I've only been thru there once back in 12/17/15 heading to Houston for high school football championship game. I'll check out their site.

Last edited:
I was dubious at best when I read this and started looking at reviews. Most Microtech clones are cheap Chinese junk with little but negative reviews on the knife sites. But after a quick few minutes look I have not found anything really negative yet.

Am going to have to look deeper into them. I have 2 Microtech Ucx 85s for EDC but would not mind one of the larger models to toss in my GHB along with my Marbles sheath knife. This might be worthwhile as a cheap not worry about yet decent alternative.

Back