testtest

Cold Weather Injuries – Treatment and Prevention

My dad always told me that working outside in winter was an exercise in not being cold, not staying warm. If you dress inlayers to where you are not quite cold, then you can move around without sweating, sweat kills in cold weather.

If you dress in layers you can remove or add layers to stay regulated. This is one reason I dress in layers and not heavy for hunting, and carry a tump line of a thick wool blanket on my back. The blanket provides extra security for bivouac if needed.

Last edited:
My dad always told me that working outside in winter was an exercise in not being cold, not staying warm. If you dress inlayers to where you are not quite cold, then you can move around without sweating, sweat kills in cold weather.

If you dress in layers you can remove or add layers to stay regulated. This is one reason I dress in layers and not heavy for hunting, and carry a tump line of a thick wool blanket on my back. The blanket provides extra security for bivouac if needed.

Your dad gave you good advice. Hot or cold, layering and in how garments fit is important in many kinds of weather is much on survival. Looser fitting clothing works good as an insulator because of the air acting as an insulator. Basically, it's the air that acts as an insulator, not always or completely the method used in insulation, but both are very important.

In warmer weather, looser fitting clothing can also act as a gathering device and shade for air when traveling. - There's good reason Arabic countries use the loose fittting clothing they do just as northern climates people use different retention garb for the cooler climate. Besides, three piece suits and ties can be very uncomfortable in many? - Is a joke, some suits can be very comfortable. Like with other garments, the trick is in the fit.

Proper ventilation and air flow with clothing and other things is very important. Too much or too little can be dangerous. Generally speaking, a little venting here and there is good, too much or too little is almost like having none at all for people and places. Good ventilation isn't just important for survival clothing, it is for habitat or shelter as well. Poor ventilation and / or circulation can encourage many undesirable things like oxygen deprivation, rot and mold.

I appreciate the informative comments within this thread. Living where I do, it's inevitable that I'll have to deal with the cold and everything that comes with it. I'll add my cold injury prevention method to the mix---stay inside, that's what I do.

On staying inside? Good luck....Just hope power and heat stays on all winter, winter storms can be rough inside or out. Is good to be prepared for the rough stuff even if staying mainly indoors too. Have stayed home through many storms because of dangerous outside conditions or pets welfare, pets aren't always welcome everywhere. Back ups of most things are very important inside or out.

^ @BobM , as-usual, brings up a very good point.

We've seen how "staying inside" can have hazards, too, particularly in those areas of the country/world where folks are not used to colder weather. Carbon monoxide poisoning, for example, became more prevalent in Texas this past February, due to the unexpected winter storm there:

Our pets, too, deserve some forethought where it comes to disaster preparedness.

Back