testtest

Cold winter wear

Sld1959

Hellcat
What is your preferred cold weather wear.

Mine is generally some combination of the options below.

Underwear:

Normal extended outdoor - silk longjohn uppers and lowers.

Colder weather silk longjohns and wool longjohn upper and lowers.

Clothing:

Normal - cargo pants, jeans. T-shirt, polo shirt, flannel shirt

Colder weather - Filson wool pants, Berne canvas insulated bibs. Filson wool shirt, Berne insulated canvas coat.

Footwear:

Normal - Tennis Shoes, cowboy Boots, un-insulated waterproof desert boots. Cotton or thin wool socks.

Colder- un-insulated desert boots with sheepskin insoles. Lacrosse pacboots. Thick wool socks.

Accessories:

Normal - deerskin gloves. Cashmere lined deerskin gloves. Oil cloth Fedora

Colder- wool lined Deerskin gloves, wool fingerless gloves inner with wool mitten outer. Mittens on lanyard to drop away when needed. Oil cloth fedora, Fur trapper hat, merino wool scarf.

These options layered and varied have served me through all manner of cold, snow and skeet and ice for daily uses, working outside and hunting/winter camping for 50 years or so.

So, current temp is -7/-41 windchill.

When I take the dog out—briefly—I’m just wearing my fleece-lined DTC pants, my heavy work parka over that, heated gloves, fleece beany & scarf. For the 5 minutes or so, it’s not too bad.

Tomorrow, when I have to blow out from this mess, I’ll be wearing Carhartt insulated bibs over sweats, 1000gram thinsulate boots, and heated gloves…that should be good for the hour or so I’ll be outside in a -30 windchill.

Hunting or extended time in the brutal cold I layer up and/or wear coveralls. Non insulated, waterproof Thoroughgoods.

Currently brief forays out to tend to the cat next door, check bird feeders, get the mail, etc. I have just jeans, thermal undershirt, t-shirt, lined flannel and a pair of LaCrosse uninsulated rubber boots.

I will be making a trip to town later and I will ditch the rubber boots for some Cabelas low top canvas/rubber boots.

So, current temp is -7/-41 windchill.

When I take the dog out—briefly—I’m just wearing my fleece-lined DTC pants, my heavy work parka over that, heated gloves, fleece beany & scarf. For the 5 minutes or so, it’s not too bad.

Tomorrow, when I have to blow out from this mess, I’ll be wearing Carhartt insulated bibs over sweats, 1000gram thinsulate boots, and heated gloves…that should be good for the hour or so I’ll be outside in a -30 windchill.

Sounds like a man with plenty of experience. What brand heated gloves do you have? I have considered them in the past.

When I was on missile crew duty in the Air Force, I would ride my Yahama 200cc street bike to the base until the temp got to 10 above zero. I had on cotton long johns under my crew uniform. Next I hung a lighter fluid powered Zippo hand warmer on my chest and topped that with my crew jacket, helmet and a wool scarf. I had a pair of Harley-Davidson leather fur lined mittens.

The oil in the throttle cable would stiffen up enough so it would stay where I set it allowing me to place my hands on the cylinders to keep them warm. That way, my wife would have a car to use. When I got promoted to 1st Lt, I was getting paid enough to afford the payments on a Volvo station waggon (purchase price new - $4500). Ah, to be young again.

Just finished pushing the light 3-6” drifts of snow off the walk and driveway….-2°F with gusts to 25 mph. Found out within 5 mins that a Carhartt parka, Northface fleece underneath, skull cap, leather gloves, but no long j’s, legs never seem to get cold unless Im sitting/standing still was too much.
Nothing worse than sweating from being too overdressed for activity. I also hate to drive and have no mobility from overstuffed outerwear.
Not sure if it’s the cold weather or the piling on of garments I hate most.

These outer gear work very well for me for general stuff out of the house this time of the year.

12ERO5HH-2

20221223_131541.jpg

Seriously,

live in Colorado. The last winter I worked it started snowing in early October and the snow continued until mid June.

I worked outside at night and I had to dress around my gun.

At work I wore a full set of long johns (Army waffle tops) and a Sweatshirt under my uniform and a light outer layer (coat). The idea was to only have one layer over the gun The last year I worked I decided to put it to the test. Lightweight under layer, waffle tops, uniform pants and shirt, a sweater and a thinsulate beanie. It got down to minus twelve degrees fahrenheit before I had to put on a coat (USGI ECWCS Fleece)

In retirement I keep the same principle. I use a light cover layer so I don't look odd keeping my jacket (usually a pull over fleece or a fleece vest) on indoors and wear the winter clothes under my clothes.

These last few days where it's been insanely old I've been wearing a Columbia Parka over everything when I had to go outside

When writing my initial post I forgot to mention I wear a lot of vests from thermal lined, to single layer fleeces.

I was concentrating on working outdoors wear not just daily wear. My normal everyday attire in winter is a hoodie vest paired with light leather jacket neither of which is normally zipped closed a pair of wool lined Deerskin gloves are stuffed in the pockets. This suffices for normal daily wear. The jacket akways comes off to drive.

Living in S Texas cold gear for me is what many of you might call spring wear. However this past week it has been UA Heat Gear, Thinsulate Socks, My FRC's, Irish Setters, Heavy Coat with a Balaclava , Gloves, and a Hard Hat.

Back