testtest

Colt MK IV

So here are some before and after pics of the 500A.

Before

ZVm8aaN.jpg

1wtVdGP.jpg

EwO7yyv.jpg

HttTtg2.jpg

s3GcCN0.jpg

After

Ih79SKI.jpg

1gXKH18.jpg

71j5hF9.jpg

ZBpHvcZ.jpg

kcZRsMW.jpg

Id3E4xL.jpg

JCMpH08.jpg

u8WJFoe.jpg

Looks like that’s a full stainless Officers…

You’ll want to make sure you use grease on the rails.
Looks like that’s a full stainless Officers…

You’ll want to make sure you use grease on the rails.

I considered it. It is pretty stiff. The recoil spring is a small one inside a bigger one. The recoil spring plug is slotted and there is a lug on it. You push it down and turn it 1/4 turn and it locks itself down while you remove the bushing. I got it oiled pretty good. I'll take the slide off and grease it before we go to the range with it though.

Wow, nice clean up on the shotgun….looks good

I considered using my bench grinder with a brass brush wheel, but I used 0000 steel wool and elbow grease instead. I tried to not take off too much of the bluing. Luckily no pitting.

I kinda like the way it breaks down. I've never seen a Mossberg with the dual slide/action rails. Getting the action out was easier than on my old 500. There was some rust in the barrel which required some honing, but not too much. This gun was put away dirty many years ago. I'm pretty sure the bolt has never been cleaned until today. They lived in an RV ( a converted tour bus actually) in Donna Texas. Clearly the humidity has it's way with stuff down there. I'm not a fan of the wood furniture. It's a 20" barrel with rifle sights and the LOP is too long for a defensive shotgun. I think I have him talked into letting me put some Magpul stuff on it though.

I thought something was strange. I just went and looked and my Mossberg 500, which is easily 30 plus years old, has dual slide bars. It's not a single. The action is definitely removed differently than this 500A though. So when and on what models did Mossberg use a single slide bar ?

I have a Colt Mustang Plus II, Mark IV series 80 .380 auto. I have shot it several times and have never had any problems. It is also a great carry gun. I also own and consistantly carry a Colt Mark IV series 80 .45 ACP Lightwieght Officers Model. That is my primary off duty carry. It is very reliable and accurate. Ive upgraded a few things and it is like clockwork..just a great gun. I come from a family who swears by colt handguns so Im in favor of them. IMO, If the price is right I dont think you will be sorry.

I thought something was strange. I just went and looked and my Mossberg 500, which is easily 30 plus years old, has dual slide bars. It's not a single. The action is definitely removed differently than this 500A though. So when and on what models did Mossberg use a single slide bar ?
My first 500 probably 40 years ago used a single slide bar. But, I think they were problematic as they were replaced fairly rapidly. I remember with real fast racking like shooting at a group of partridge erupting from your feet it could tie up. I bought it from ACE hardware and they took it back months later for the new two bar.

Ezcellant work, you gave new life to an old distressed gun. Well done...
Thank you sir.

There are still two more. An old Stevens Model 26 that god only knows if I can save and another old bolt action .22. Neither is in good shape, although the bolt action can surely be cleaned up proper. Not so sure about the old Stevens Crackshot. I can get parts for it though so maybe.

Back