testtest

Colt Mustang

N

nmedge

Since my LGS knows i like Colts he showed me one yesterday. He has had it for a while, it is brand new but never sold. It's a Colt Mustang .380. It is all black with a lower polymer grip. I know it's not made anymore and was wondering if anyone here has one. I don't see it as a carry gun as all my carry guns are strikers but it would be used at the range and i like Colts! If anyone has one here let me know what you think about this pistol- good or bad. He wants $599 for it.

In the 70's one of my patrol partners carried one these as backup and off duty. It was one of the few.380's I saw back in the,day that would run reliably with the crappy .380 ammo we had available back then. It was a shooter. A friend now has a SIG 238 that runs like a champ.

Yea, dated and they could be very finicky, had one back in the day, would not feed or chamber any ammo, mine was the stainless model. My thought, if you just wanted to collect it yea, but as a shooter, I myself probably would pass, but this is just my thoughts, it’s your decision, there must have been a reason it’s been there that long and as NOS

As far as reliability goes I know a Leo who retired in 2000 and it has been his daily carry since that time. Don't think he would carry something he did not trust his life to. Which is the big reason I have looked at them on and off.

His uniform these days is shorts flip flops and Hawaiian shirts at the beach. I did see one picture of him in white linen slacks an orange t-shirt and mesh shoes and I told him he looked like an old decrepit Don Johnson. To which he said his wife had a crush on Sonny Crockett lol.

Last edited:
We saw reliability issues with .380 pistols in the 70's-80's that was mostly attributed to poor ammo. We had some Walther PPKs pistols for UC agents that were jam o matics because of underpowered ammo. We dumped them and bought a few G26's to replace them.
The ammo is much better nowadays but the .380 cartridge seems redundant with all the micro guns available in 9mm today. The Mustang is an interesting gun that will run with good ammo.

Back