testtest

Colt's .22 Diamondback is Back!

"If you stand on the street corner giving away--not selling, mind you, but giving away--chocolate ice cream, somebody will come up and ask for vanilla."

--Snake's Dad

Not quite.

Just a rechambered .357 King Cobra (V-frame) to save $$ reintroducing the original D-frame. At least they didn't call the new one a Diamondback.

Not quite.

Just a rechambered .357 King Cobra (V-frame) to save $$ reintroducing the original D-frame. At least they didn't call the new one a Diamondback.
The V-frame was the Trooper Mk V and the original .357 King Cobra. I'm not sure what they're calling the frame that the new Cobras and King Cobras are built on, but it's D-frame size.

Yes, I partially agree and I agree not sure what frame size Colt is calling the new ones, but they're still not a D-frame.

Is the Colt King Cobra a D frame?

The Colt King Cobra is a stainless steel, double action revolver built on a modified version of Colt's D-Frame. BUT...grips are not interchangeable between the old and new guns, so the frame size of the new King Cobra has deviated from the historical, see the info below.

From the ColtForum (you know all this already but posted for others info)

A simplified reference guide to figure out which frame your Colt revolver has.

D Frame – Long (prior to 1966)
(1907 to 1927, 'narrow' 1-9/16" square butt)
(1928 to 1933, 'wide' 1-3/4" square butt)
(1933 and after, round butt)
  • Police Positive Special
  • Early Detective Special
D Frame – Short (after 1966)
  • Detective Special
  • Cobra
  • Agent
  • Courier
  • Diamondback
  • Viper
  • Commando Special
C Frame (Same grips as D Frame – Long)
  • Police Positive
  • Police Positive Target (1926 to 1941)
  • Bankers Special
SF Frame
  • SF-VI
  • DS-II
  • Magnum Carry
E & I Frame (Same frame, different firing pin mounts)
E Frame
(firing pin mounted on hammer)
  • Army Special
  • Official Police
  • Officers Model
  • Camp Perry (heavily modified E frame)
  • Officers Model Target
  • Commando
  • Officers Model Special
  • Border Patrol (1953-1954)
  • Officers Model Match
  • Marshal
  • Trooper (1953-1961)
I Frame (firing pin mounted in frame)
  • Trooper (1961-1969)
  • Colt "357"
  • Python
J Frame
  • Trooper Mark III
  • Lawman Mark III
  • Metropolitan Police Mark III
  • Officer’s Model Match Mark III
  • Official Police Mark III
  • Border Patrol (1970-1975)
V Frame
  • Trooper Mark V
  • King Cobra
MM Frame
  • Anaconda (modified V frame)
Small Frame (New Pocket)
  • New Pocket
  • New Police (modified New Pocket grip frame with longer square butt)
G Frame
  • Pocket Positive (improved New Police frame)
  • Police Positive (only the 'small' frame .32 New Police model)
  • Police Positive Target (1907 to 1925)
Large Frame (New Service)
  • New Service
  • U.S. Model 1909
  • U.S. Model 1917
  • Shooting Master (Same grip frame but different grips)
This article doesn't explain what frame size the new pistol really is, and since D-frame grips won't fit (without modification) I still wouldn't call it a D-frame.

Last edited:
Some have said...The frame is about the same size as the S&W "K" frame and the Colt and S&W "K" frame cylinders are the same diameter.

and

...the New Cobra and King Cobra are upgraded Colt SFVI/DS-II and Magnum Carry models. The new models are built on the same size SF-VI frame and cylinder, which itself was an upgraded "D" frame changed to stainless steel and with a transfer bar action.

Smith K and Colt D cylinder diameters are nearly identical at around, IIRC, 1.4 inches. Smith K frame is a little bigger and heavier than the Colt D frame. I don't have one of the "new" Cobras/King Cobras so I'm not 100% certain, but I suspect it's in the ballpark of the D frame. The "new" guns (including the .22 KC) might be on the SF frame on your chart above.

Have you seen this...

Colt Custom Shop "blackened" SS new Colt Python. Black DLC polished finish

download (1).jpg

download.jpg

Yes, I partially agree and I agree not sure what frame size Colt is calling the new ones, but they're still not a D-frame.

The Colt King Cobra is a stainless steel, double action revolver built on a modified version of Colt's D-Frame. BUT...grips are not interchangeable between the old and new guns, so the frame size of the new King Cobra has deviated from the historical, see the info below.

• Detective Special
  • Cobra
  • Agent
  • Courier
  • Diamondback
  • Viper
  • Commando Special
  • Police Positive
  • Bankers Special
SF Frame
  • SF-VI
  • DS-II
  • Magnum Carry
E Frame
  • Army Special
  • Official Police
  • Officers Model
  • Officers Model Target
  • Commando
  • Officers Model Special
  • Officers Model Match
  • Marshal
  • Trooper (1953-1961)
  • Trooper (1961-1969)
  • Colt "357"
  • Python
J Frame
  • Trooper Mark III
  • Lawman Mark III
V Frame
  • Trooper Mark V
  • King Cobra
MM Frame
Small Frame (New Pocket)
  • New Pocket
G Frame
  • New Service
  • U.S. Model 1909
  • U.S. Model 1917
This article doesn't explain what frame size the new pistol really is, and since D-frame grips won't fit (without modification) I still wouldn't call it a D-frame.

Nice breakdown, thanks

• Detective Special
  • Cobra
  • Agent
  • Courier
  • Diamondback
  • Viper
  • Commando Special
  • Police Positive
  • Bankers Special
SF Frame
  • SF-VI
  • DS-II
  • Magnum Carry
E Frame
  • Army Special
  • Official Police
  • Officers Model
  • Officers Model Target
  • Commando
  • Officers Model Special
  • Officers Model Match
  • Marshal
  • Trooper (1953-1961)
  • Trooper (1961-1969)
  • Colt "357"
  • Python
J Frame
  • Trooper Mark III
  • Lawman Mark III
V Frame
  • Trooper Mark V
  • King Cobra
MM Frame
Small Frame (New Pocket)
  • New Pocket
G Frame
  • New Service
  • U.S. Model 1909
  • U.S. Model 1917

Great listing and description of frames ..... can you explain/point out the difference between for the MkIII (J frame) and MkV (V frame) Troopers? I know you already listed them as a different frame, but what is the actual difference? Holding the two up together I've not seen a distinguishing or marked difference but would like to know.

Thanks and regards, JJ

Normally. the main difference in frames are their sizes, but with the Trooper-family the frame differences are subtle, and the differences are mainly internal. For every Trooper change Colt made a frame-category change based on the subtle changes.

The Mk. III series was an economy version of the earlier Trooper/357 line (ran from 1961 to ~1968) when the "new" Colt Mk. III was introduced. An analogy is like the economy differences between Pre 64 vs. Post 64 Winchesters. Note: The 357 was absorbed into the original Trooper line in 1961 by simply changing the Troopers caliber to .357 magnum.

The Trooper Mk. III used sintered metal parts and requiring less hand fitting, they were cheaper to manufacture and lower maintenance than the previous design.

The Mk. V action did away with the sintered metal parts and was slightly smaller than the Mk. III action (Colt was trying to compete with the K-frame S&Ws). It was also smoother than the Mk. III and had a shorter hammer throw hence a shorter lock time.

Note: there's some debate on the actual frame-size for the original King Cobra. One is the V-frame (listed above) and others say it was the AA-frame. Some say...the "AA" frame is nothing more than the "V" frame with a different barrel, and was first made in stainless steel, later in blue.

Mk. III series started in ~1968, and evolved into the Mk.V series starting around 1980. The original Trooper was discontinued, and that design series evolved into the King Cobra in SS or blue in the early 80s.

Last edited:
Normally. the main difference in frames are their sizes, but with the Trooper-family the frame differences are subtle, and the differences are mainly internal. For every Trooper change Colt made a frame-category change based on the subtle changes.

The Mk. III series was an economy version of the earlier Trooper/357 line (ran from 1961 to ~1968) when the "new" Colt Mk. III was introduced. An analogy is like the economy differences between Pre 64 vs. Post 64 Winchesters. Note: The 357 was absorbed into the original Trooper line in 1961 by simply changing the Troopers caliber to .357 magnum.

The Trooper Mk. III used sintered metal parts and requiring less hand fitting, they were cheaper to manufacture and lower maintenance than the previous design.

The Mk. V action did away with the sintered metal parts and was slightly smaller than the Mk. III action (Colt was trying to compete with the K-frame S&Ws). It was also smoother than the Mk. III and had a shorter hammer throw hence a shorter lock time.

Note: there's some debate on the actual frame-size for the original King Cobra. One is the V-frame (listed above) and others say it was the AA-frame. Some say...the "AA" frame is nothing more than the "V" frame with a different barrel, and was first made in stainless steel, later in blue.

Mk. III series started in ~1968, and evolved into the Mk.V series starting around 1980. The original Trooper was discontinued, and that design series evolved into the King Cobra in SS or blue in the early 80s.
Great info, thanks. I have both a MkIII and a MkV and have wondered the real difference. Side by side they're much the same in appearance. Thanks again, JJ

Back