testtest

Comfort in a holster

I carry iwb at about 4:00 and I’m a heavyset guy and like most have tried about a dozen different holsters and have found N82 to be by far the most comfortable in all squatting/sitting/driving situations and is easy on off

I'm tired of wasting bucks on holsters that don't work for me. Been cc for two years and usually don't carry because the weight of the firearm (XDS 9mm 3.3) is too heavy and pulls my pants down. Leather gun belts don't work cause my weight constantly is changing (going to gym). Have a 511 web style belt that use a ratchet buckle but still not perfect. Warm weather forget it. Now that it is cold will try a shoulder harness due to jacket. Also use a laser and so many holsters won't work with it. Suggestions?
Have you tried a belly band? Belly band is all I use while riding my bike (foot powered) . Normally carry appendix IWB, however, with the forward body kant on a bike only a belly band will keep pistol close to my body.

My main cc is the XDS 3.3 9mm, in the Alien Gear IWB 4.0 holster, carried in roughly the 4 - 4:30 position. For the range, I'll usually have the XD Mod2 9mm carried in the Alien Gear OWB Belt Slide, or the OWB Paddle Holster. Changing between pistols is an easy shift changing the shells. Hence the "Shape Shifter".

I'm tired of wasting bucks on holsters that don't work for me. Been cc for two years and usually don't carry because the weight of the firearm (XDS 9mm 3.3) is too heavy and pulls my pants down. Leather gun belts don't work cause my weight constantly is changing (going to gym). Have a 511 web style belt that use a ratchet buckle but still not perfect. Warm weather forget it. Now that it is cold will try a shoulder harness due to jacket. Also use a laser and so many holsters won't work with it. Suggestions?
I carry the XDS 3.3 9mm also, and the belt I bought is the Blue Alpha Low Profile EDC nylon belt. So far, so good. Also works okay when carrying the XD Mod2 in a owb position also.

Last edited:
I have a seabag full of holsters none work well all the time, few are ever comfortable, but carrying a pistol is comforting to me, do you ever feel not well dressed just going to the mailbox? I carry several different guns but a Springfield 1911 is my church gun carried OWB at 3 0clock under my suit jacket in a quick release double snap by Blackhawk, a really bright flashlight, a karambit, and of course a spare mag by Wilson combat all on a thick, wide belt. I would carry a PR-24 but they are too long. Am I ready? Awareness is readiness! But I know I’m ready for lunch.

I have a seabag full of holsters none work well all the time, few are ever comfortable, but carrying a pistol is comforting to me, do you ever feel not well dressed just going to the mailbox? I carry several different guns but a Springfield 1911 is my church gun carried OWB at 3 0clock under my suit jacket in a quick release double snap by Blackhawk, a really bright flashlight, a karambit, and of course a spare mag by Wilson combat all on a thick, wide belt. I would carry a PR-24 but they are too long. Am I ready? Awareness is readiness! But I know I’m ready for lunch.
Seabag? I had one of those......a long, long time ago. :)

My EDC these days is my XD(m) 3.8 Compact, and I have Crossbreed OWB (Snapslide) and IWB (Supertuck) holsters. If I had not put on 20 pounds over the past few months of eating like a pig, I would be using the Supertuck. As it is, I use the Snapslide on my belt, and it’s close to my body at 4 o’clock and very comfortable. I just cover it with a untucked shirt or a jacket. Once I get a few pounds back off I’ll be able to carry IWB again without being in the last hole of my belt.

I have to wonder in the winter, with a gun as small as the Hellcat, if a pocket holster would be an option in a coat pocket. I carry a LCP in a Desantis Superfly holster when I have to go anywhere with a shirt tucked in and no jacket, and leave it in my coat pocket often in winter. For IWB with the Hellcat I think the Crossbreed Minituck might be a good option.

I use a MTR Avenger IWB or a Crossbreed and have been using Versacarry for my OWB. I use a Versacarry 2ply belt for all holsters. The belt has made a big difference in my comfort.

Contour 2.jpg

I feel your pain, as a big guy I have the same issues. I always ankle carry an XDs 9mm 3.3, I have a post on the LPV ankle holster that I use.

This may be sacrilege, but if you have a body type where you just CAN'T carry on a belt, IWB or OWB, then the gun you have with you is better than the gun you leave at home because you can't carry it. I pocket carry a Ruger LCP in a Desantis Nemesis holster when I cannot carry my XD-M Compact. I've had the LCP for 10 years, and had to replace the pocket holster recently as I had worn all the "tackiness" off it, that kept it in place in my pocket. There are a lot of nice small 9mm pistols these days if you have negative feelings towards .380. The Springfield 911 9mm for example, although it is thicker at 1" than my 0.7" thick LCP.

This may be sacrilege, but if you have a body type where you just CAN'T carry on a belt, IWB or OWB, then the gun you have with you is better than the gun you leave at home because you can't carry it. I pocket carry a Ruger LCP in a Desantis Nemesis holster when I cannot carry my XD-M Compact. I've had the LCP for 10 years, and had to replace the pocket holster recently as I had worn all the "tackiness" off it, that kept it in place in my pocket. There are a lot of nice small 9mm pistols these days if you have negative feelings towards .380. The Springfield 911 9mm for example, although it is thicker at 1" than my 0.7" thick LCP.
Springfield 911 and the Springfield Hellcat with the 11+1 flush mag are both great options and work for pocket carry.

I carry IWB kydex by concealment express. I find them relatively comfortable. I carry 4-5 o’clock. I carry XDS 9 or 45 depending on mood. The worst thing is the rear sight digging in while seated. The most comfortable is my m&p 380 bodyguard. I don’t even know it is there most of the time.

I have to use a OWB due to my beer belly. I could quit drinking and slim down, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Anyhoo, going OWB with my kydex Phalanx Defense Systems holster gives me a reason to dress like a slob, with an untucked shirt :)

I carry IWB when not at work, HAWG holster, Crossbreed, and Alien Gear with the latter being the most comfortable.
I pocket carry at work (service field) because I am in attics and crawlspaces most days. This is not conducive to appendix carry or hip carry unless you like banging your firearm on rocks and rafters. Clinger and Remora both make good options for the pocket.
Clinger also offers a cushion to go on IWB holsters that I am going to try on the HAWG that is supposed to do away with the bite of the kydex.

You might consider a "belly band" style of holster. I have a Stoner brand, and find it nearly perfect for certain situations. Good luck in your search. Good shooting!

I am not the skinniest person in the world and an inside the waist band holster just does not fit me. On the other hand a belt loop holster is more comfortable but a pain in the butt to remove through the day......think potty breaks, or when I sit down to work on someones gun, maybe enter a post office or court house. So a paddle offer the comfort over the IWB and is easier to remove quickly if I need to over a belt.

Thought I would throw in some of my absolute favorites. I love the GLS/ALS Safariland belt/Paddle holsters. Especially the multi fit versions like the 578 multifit. One holster gives me the security of an auto locking holster, the speed of draw that will give me an advantage, does not wear my guns appearance that much and fits a bunch of different pistols depending on the need. Adjust the holster and you can carry a Glock, then the next day adjust the holster and carry an M&P or XD.
I have a JM4 Tactical magnetic holster I love it. Easy on and off.

Back