testtest

Commentary: Why Do We Hate the NRA

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it's No Results Assertained!
I've heard a lotta people call them Negotiating Rights Away.

Edit: Also, the NRA's financial bungling - like the moniker "Negotiating Rights Away" - has likewise become memeable. While other groups are hitting back HARD with lawsuits, NRA has to beg for donations because they've frittered away hundred of MILLIONS of dollars!!
FPC-GOA-NRA lawsuits vs donations.jpg

Wood stock, poly stock, laughing stock NRA.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a member of the NRA for a looong time and I have been amazed at their silence regarding the upper level managements money wasting. I am also wondering about their silence on the craziness going on in Virginia. The NRA seems to be more interested in fundraising than anything else these days.

I'm also a member of Gun Owners of America and they seem to be much more active and using their funds appropriately. They have even filed law suits on the Virginia debacle.

If you haven't joined GOA yet, please do!
I totally ditto what you're saying. Truth is, NRA's inaction when gun rights activism is needed most is borderline criminal. They purportedly have over 5 million members (probably half that to 3 million in reality), but you don't see them using their organizational largess to activate & turn out the entire membership to actually speak out and PUT PRESSURE on politicians!! GOA does this on a shoestring and gets many times better results with 3 million members, with monies going into lawsuits and other effective projects. GOA partners with other 2A groups especially at the state level like they JUST DID with VCDL just this past Monday. NRA doesn't; instead they suck the oxygen out of the room. Also, they do events separate from anyone else and as January 13's NRA event shows, they get people to show up by passing out "free stuff" (donated MAGPUL magazines, in this instance). Plus you have FPC, they have even fewer members than GOA and they're an absolute BEAST on lawsuits!!! They get a LOT of donations in place of memberships, too.

Truth is, it's more than just the corruption & graft of people like Wayne LaPierre that's wrecking the NRA. You got guys like Josh Powell who went with WLP to meet Trump and demand the bumpstock ban behind closed doors. Powell was the prime mover of NRA's support for implementing Red Flag laws nationwide. And then you have Bill Brewer, the Outside Counsel that WLP hired. He's an antigun Democrat who donates LAVISHLY to antigun groups and Democrats. HOW MUCH OF THE MANY MILLIONS HE'S PAID ANNUALLY GONE DIRECTLY FROM NRA COFFERS INTO THESE ANTIGUN GROUPS??? We may never know!! But we can certainly bet it's happening BIG TIME.

Truth is, I learned many years ago about a lot of this which is why I rescinded my NRA Life membership over 10 years ago. The NRA leadership have so insulated themselves that they are IMMUNE FROM ANY OR ALL ACCOUNTABILITY. That's part of why you have an insane number of BoD members (76). Most nonprofits NRA's size would have only 2 1/2 dozen Board members at most. Such an unwieldy size helps WLP wag the dog and tell the Board what to do rather than the other way around. It's why there has been no success in reforming the NRA in 45 years, and why GOA was formed instead. And that inability to reform the NRA means that their baleful track record in actually PROMOTING gun control for the last 100 years is known only to a relative few! Do the homework for yourself. All the gun control we have today COULD HAVE BEEN STOPPED DEAD IF NRA WANTED TO. INSTEAD THEY APPROVED IT.

NO NRA.png

I haven't gotten mine yet. I have to say, though, that the stuff about buying suits, etc., for upper management is (I think) just part of the attack by the PR firm Ackermann on NRA's CEO. I suspect it is mostly BS.
I checked, and the documentation on this is legit. AckMac may have leaked this, but you can't file fradulent records in court as facts in your case, that's a felony. Also, other public records like IRS filings (which includes additional docs on WLP's expensive wardrobe habit). The anti's are eating this up because it's such a windfall to them. They fail to see that NRA is a paper tiger nowadays (mainly because of their gross financial mismanagement) and that they're not the 800lb. gorilla they should fear. That baton passes to GOA and their members, which for the last 25 years has been doing the heavy lifting NRA steals credit from.

That being said, NRA and the top management know they're in the legal fight for their lives and that they gotta win or NRA ceases to exist... and likely, some people are gonna go to prison (WLP) for the shenanigans they thought no one would learn about till after they dropped dead from old age (again, WLP).

OH, ONE OTHER THING... Maybe I'm waxing paranoid, but since WLP was a Democrat congressional operative right before coming on board with the NRA, and given his track record of selling us up the river, could it be POSSIBLE that he's been a deep-cover MOLE??? Think about it... and why of all the millions of lawyers in the DC area, WLP HAD TO PICK an antigun lawyer whose loyalty to the other side is unshakable?? AT WHAT POINT DO WE ACKNOWLEDGE THERE IS A MASSIVE CONFLICT OF INTEREST WITH BREWER????

Have your received your "NRA Special Announcements" letter from Wayne? (see below). I received this the other day and it seems to reflect the NRA's concern on the funds appropriation investigation undertaken by State and local municipalities.
I'm a lifetime member, and like you, I'm concerned enough about this that I just recently joined the GOA.

NRA

Dear NRA Members,
As I visit with NRA members across the country, they often ask about our efforts to confront attacks on the NRA and the freedoms for which it stands.
Politically motivated government officials and the regulators they appoint in places like San Francisco, Los Angeles, and the State of New York continue to attempt to weaponize their powers to try to silence the NRA. We are determined to confront this behavior directly to safeguard the NRA's right to free speech and to protect you – our members.
You should know that constitutional scholars, opinion leaders, and members of the national media are taking notice. The NRA is fighting back and winning in the courtroom – and in the court of public opinion.
Please see the following National Review editorial by legal writer Walter Olson, "Progressive Governments' Economic War on the NRA Fails in Court."
In the editorial, Olson addresses efforts by government officials in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York to "take down the hated National Rifle Association by targeting its pocketbook."
Olson writes in support of the NRA's legal advocacy and observes that San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York are "facing a legal reckoning in court, based not on the Second Amendment but on the First. Without needing to even consider the issue of gun rights, federal courts are recognizing that boycotts enforced by government power can menace free speech and free association."
Olson places particular emphasis on the NRA's advocacy against New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and New York state regulators. We are fighting back against a premeditated attempt to coerce banks and insurance companies to refrain from doing business with the NRA and groups like it lest they suffer the wrath of New York state regulators.
Olson observes, "While Cuomo was of course free to express his own views, the Constitution would have something to say about it if he or his appointees had made veiled threats against banks and insurers to encourage them to disassociate from the NRA."
I know that the NRA would not be winning without your tireless support and financial commitment. Thanks for standing with us and being our partner in this hard fight for freedom at this crucial time in our country.
Now, let's roll up our sleeves and get to work. You and I have a country to save this November.
Wayne Signature

Wayne LaPierre

You can read the article by clicking following this link or on the hyperlink above:
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/01/progressive-governments-economic-war-againts-nra-fails-in-court/
© 2020 National Rifle Association Privacy Policy Unsubscribe
Manage your email preferences
11250 Waples Mill Rd. Fairfax, VA 22030​
Shouldn't they protect all of 2A rights and not just members! Whether it's gimicks or ploys by anti 2A peeps a 100,000,000 man march on the Capitol would be great. If I had the funds too be there I would.

I checked, and the documentation on this is legit. AckMac may have leaked this, but you can't file fradulent records in court as facts in your case, that's a felony. Also, other public records like IRS filings (which includes additional docs on WLP's expensive wardrobe habit). The anti's are eating this up because it's such a windfall to them. They fail to see that NRA is a paper tiger nowadays (mainly because of their gross financial mismanagement) and that they're not the 800lb. gorilla they should fear. That baton passes to GOA and their members, which for the last 25 years has been doing the heavy lifting NRA steals credit from.

That being said, NRA and the top management know they're in the legal fight for their lives and that they gotta win or NRA ceases to exist... and likely, some people are gonna go to prison (WLP) for the shenanigans they thought no one would learn about till after they dropped dead from old age (again, WLP).

OH, ONE OTHER THING... Maybe I'm waxing paranoid, but since WLP was a Democrat congressional operative right before coming on board with the NRA, and given his track record of selling us up the river, could it be POSSIBLE that he's been a deep-cover MOLE??? Think about it... and why of all the millions of lawyers in the DC area, WLP HAD TO PICK an antigun lawyer whose loyalty to the other side is unshakable?? AT WHAT POINT DO WE ACKNOWLEDGE THERE IS A MASSIVE CONFLICT OF INTEREST WITH BREWER????
I hope the NRA is not being like the political institutions have been for self gain. You know Clinton's and their underhanded dealings. They should go on "The Biggest Looser" or more like the sorist looser.

I hope the NRA is not being like the political institutions have been for self gain. You know Clinton's and their underhanded dealings. They should go on "The Biggest Looser" or more like the sorist looser.
That's exactly what the sinking feeling in my gut is telling me. I've followed the NRA propaganda for over 25 years now and their breathless exhortations that apocalyptic disaster is just around the corner! and if you don't donate NOW, all will be lost!! All approved and signed by WLP himself.

If even only HALF of what's being said is true about the graft and corruption, I can expact with 100% certainty that two things will happen:
1) WLP will go directly to prison for the remainder of his natural life, and even if he lives to be 100 won't even begin to make up for what he's done... and
2) The NRA will be utterly ruined, its charter revoked, disbanded and its assets seized to pay off creditors and cover court costs. If someone has ANYTHING on loan to the NRA museum, it would be a good idea if they reclaimed it NOW.

Also, I place some blame on all this on the fudds that have been 'true believers' of the infallibility of the NRA even now that these revelations have come forth. They spit in the eye of everyone trying desperately to reform the NRA while there's still an NRA left to reform, they continue to scoff at all the Black Rifle 2A activists who SPECIFICALLY WARNED THESE FUDDS that the anti-gunners were coming after THEIR guns too, which we now know to be indisputable thanks to all the 2020 Dems running (or dropped out, like Beto). They adamantly refuse to believe anything is wrong in the kingdom even though the enemy is inside the gates already, and cram their fingers in their ears & shout LALALALALALALA!!! to drown out the watchman's final warning!

Ok, I'm all out of rant. I'll leave this matter to your fine judgment.

I still think it is not too late to save the NRA. There are a few folks trying to change the NRA. Check out Save The Second (Savethe2A.org) and read their information and check out the videos and podcasts. These guys pushed to require mandatory attendance at Board meetings by Board members (some of whom had missed meetings for years) at the September meeting. They thought they were blown off, but at the January meeting the Board adopted mandatory attendance as a policy. Mr. LaPierre needs to realize it is time to retire, the size of the Board needs to be reduced, term limits for Board members, etc. We can change the NRA if we will work together, and although I am probably a Fudd (by the way, does that mean an Elmer Fudd or a fuddy duddy?), I think the NRA is worth saving.

I still think it is not too late to save the NRA. There are a few folks trying to change the NRA. Check out Save The Second (Savethe2A.org) and read their information and check out the videos and podcasts. These guys pushed to require mandatory attendance at Board meetings by Board members (some of whom had missed meetings for years) at the September meeting. They thought they were blown off, but at the January meeting the Board adopted mandatory attendance as a policy. Mr. LaPierre needs to realize it is time to retire, the size of the Board needs to be reduced, term limits for Board members, etc. We can change the NRA if we will work together, and although I am probably a Fudd (by the way, does that mean an Elmer Fudd or a fuddy duddy?), I think the NRA is worth saving.

I too am a big supporter of Save the Second and hope the NRA can be reformed, but knowing what's been going on at HQ for the last 25 or so years, I am really concerned that that the rumors of criminal financial shenanigans are 100% true.

I wouldn't call you a fudd, as fudds guzzle the koolaid and sycophantically defend Radioactive Wayne.
Dont be fudd.jpg

The NRA BOD is beginning to implement some reforms, so let's hope that this is the start of a trend. Nonetheless, they need to fire Wayne as well as Josh Powell, and that needs to happen ASAP - they're the heart of the problem with HQ.

Allen West would make an awesome EVP, but as I said in another post elsewhere, I rescinded my life membership over 10 years ago because I won't support an org that's actively stabbing us in the back. Thus I haven't been a voting member for quite some time. I didn't see the point in being a voting life member when WLP has fully insulated himself from any accountability.

Hopefully, the BoD will be able to "persuade" WLP it is time to retire.

One can only hope - but considering the lengths that WLP has gone to, to stay in his position over the last 30 years, I don't believe 'persuasion' will have an iota of impact on Wayne's intransigence. They WILL have to FIRE HIM. But only after they vote to break his employment and severance contract - the little turd got all his yes-men and yes-women to INCREASE his annual salary from 1.4 million to OVER 4 MILLION!! And his severance package is basically his annual salary to be paid out every year for the next 20 years. NRA JUST DOESN'T HAVE $80 MILLION TO MAKE HIM GO AWAY HAPPY!

They're gonna have to find a reason to terminate him FOR CAUSE, so they don't have to pay him another red cent. Problem is, anything that he can be fired for cause will be discoverable not just with regards to the ongoing lawsuit with AckMac, but the State of NY. Something that could criminally blow back on the BOD, since they rubber-stamped everything WLP did for the last few decades. Basically, if WLP goes down, he's made sure the whole damn NRA goes down with him. And that's why I got the hell out of the NRA more than a decade ago.

Maybe someone could help me out here. I've been a lifetime member for about 2 years, and before that, an annual member each year since 2012. When I became a lifetime member, I E-mailed them, asking how one goes about voting (since I understood Lifetime members are eligible to vote). After several E-mails with no response, and phone calls that were just endless "wait on the line", I figured they really didn't want me to vote,, and it was a way to keep the same board in power. Someone in one of the Thread posts, indicated it should be in the magazine I get from them (Thank you for that). Well, I finally got my copy of American Rifleman and noticed I finally have a ballot to vote on. It's a list of 39 names that I can vote for 31 of those. These are "Director Nominations" for the Board of Directors that consists of 76 members. My Question(s): Do NRA members get to vote for the offices or President, Chairman, etc. or is this done by the Board of Directors? Who are the ones that make up the Nominating Committee that come up with this list? I'm fearful that the Board makes all the decisions on nominations & votes for the higher offices, thus keeping everything and everybody "Status Que" resulting in "The Rich, get Richer" plane of existance. (Note: I've haven't yet read the rules, Nominees Bio's, etc. Perhaps answers to my questions lie within. Figured I'd ask if anyone knows. Personally, I'm not a fan of staying with a Board that's been there for ions. I'd prefer sweeping changes and getting in new blood and views on the Board including the higher offices). Thanks

One can only hope - but considering the lengths that WLP has gone to, to stay in his position over the last 30 years, I don't believe 'persuasion' will have an iota of impact on Wayne's intransigence. They WILL have to FIRE HIM. But only after they vote to break his employment and severance contract - the little turd got all his yes-men and yes-women to INCREASE his annual salary from 1.4 million to OVER 4 MILLION!! And his severance package is basically his annual salary to be paid out every year for the next 20 years. NRA JUST DOESN'T HAVE $80 MILLION TO MAKE HIM GO AWAY HAPPY!

They're gonna have to find a reason to terminate him FOR CAUSE, so they don't have to pay him another red cent. Problem is, anything that he can be fired for cause will be discoverable not just with regards to the ongoing lawsuit with AckMac, but the State of NY. Something that could criminally blow back on the BOD, since they rubber-stamped everything WLP did for the last few decades. Basically, if WLP goes down, he's made sure the whole **** NRA goes down with him. And that's why I got the hell out of the NRA more than a decade ago.
Thanks Minutman1969, this answers some of the questions I just posted before seeing this. I agree with your sentiments.

Maybe someone could help me out here. I've been a lifetime member for about 2 years, and before that, an annual member each year since 2012. When I became a lifetime member, I E-mailed them, asking how one goes about voting (since I understood Lifetime members are eligible to vote). After several E-mails with no response, and phone calls that were just endless "wait on the line", I figured they really didn't want me to vote,, and it was a way to keep the same board in power. Someone in one of the Thread posts, indicated it should be in the magazine I get from them (Thank you for that). Well, I finally got my copy of American Rifleman and noticed I finally have a ballot to vote on. It's a list of 39 names that I can vote for 31 of those. These are "Director Nominations" for the Board of Directors that consists of 76 members. My Question(s): Do NRA members get to vote for the offices or President, Chairman, etc. or is this done by the Board of Directors? Who are the ones that make up the Nominating Committee that come up with this list? I'm fearful that the Board makes all the decisions on nominations & votes for the higher offices, thus keeping everything and everybody "Status Que" resulting in "The Rich, get Richer" plane of existance. (Note: I've haven't yet read the rules, Nominees Bio's, etc. Perhaps answers to my questions lie within. Figured I'd ask if anyone knows. Personally, I'm not a fan of staying with a Board that's been there for ions. I'd prefer sweeping changes and getting in new blood and views on the Board including the higher offices). Thanks

As I remember it, voting members are allowed to vote on the Board members that are up for re-election, but the nominating committee of the Board selects the slate. So basically the NRA is telling you who to vote for. What many members either do not know or understand is that they do not have to vote for the entire number of directors offered. They can bullet-vote for ONE OR TWO SPECIFIC DIRECTOR NOMINEES, and if enough members do this they can force a change in who sits on the Board. However, the EVP (that's Radioactive Wayne) has the power to pick the President of the NRA (this started in the 1990's as a way to insulate WLP from ouster). The President then essentially assigns BOD members to the various committees, and they can accept or decline. The President essentially works for the EVP, which is kinda backwards.... but the President is also the EVP's "enforcer" who can refuse to assign ANY committee positions to BOD members who are reformers. This is what has created the EVP-centric cult of personality that keeps the BOD in line with the EVP's wishes.

NRA members do NOT get to pick the President, VP's, or other top positions. The BOD does that. The EVP or the President, if I also remember correctly, picks who serves on the Nominating Committee. Also, BOD members have resisted the downsizing of the BOD because no one wants to be among those who are asked to just leave at the end of their term.

Like I said, the byzantine organizational structure, rules, bylaws, and voting of the NRA really insulates those at the top from accountability to the members. The head honchos claim it's to protect the NRA from the anti-gunners (AS IF those people would pay to join for life and participate in the NRA for the purpose of infiltrating & undermining them), but the truth is, WLP and the top people at NRA are the ones wrecking the NRA. Much is happening to expose what's been going on behind closed doors at HQ, but additional revelations depend on people caring enough to pay attention and not let the Old Guard sweep the dirty laundry under the rug as they've done countless times before.

They've benefited greatly from people leaving them to operate without oversight, and they are hoping beyond hope that people will forget what's happened in the last 12 months so the Old Guard, WLP, and Josh Powell can all go back to fleecing the members. So they can go back to stabbing ALL gun owners in the back with compromise deals & other betrayals that keep the threat of 2A armageddon front and center.... because the politics of fear is so effective at raising money and increasing power!!

As I remember it, voting members are allowed to vote on the Board members that are up for re-election, but the nominating committee of the Board selects the slate. So basically the NRA is telling you who to vote for. What many members either do not know or understand is that they do not have to vote for the entire number of directors offered. They can bullet-vote for ONE OR TWO SPECIFIC DIRECTOR NOMINEES, and if enough members do this they can force a change in who sits on the Board. However, the EVP (that's Radioactive Wayne) has the power to pick the President of the NRA (this started in the 1990's as a way to insulate WLP from ouster). The President then essentially assigns BOD members to the various committees, and they can accept or decline. The President essentially works for the EVP, which is kinda backwards.... but the President is also the EVP's "enforcer" who can refuse to assign ANY committee positions to BOD members who are reformers. This is what has created the EVP-centric cult of personality that keeps the BOD in line with the EVP's wishes.

NRA members do NOT get to pick the President, VP's, or other top positions. The BOD does that. The EVP or the President, if I also remember correctly, picks who serves on the Nominating Committee. Also, BOD members have resisted the downsizing of the BOD because no one wants to be among those who are asked to just leave at the end of their term.

Like I said, the byzantine organizational structure, rules, bylaws, and voting of the NRA really insulates those at the top from accountability to the members. The head honchos claim it's to protect the NRA from the anti-gunners (AS IF those people would pay to join for life and participate in the NRA for the purpose of infiltrating & undermining them), but the truth is, WLP and the top people at NRA are the ones wrecking the NRA. Much is happening to expose what's been going on behind closed doors at HQ, but additional revelations depend on people caring enough to pay attention and not let the Old Guard sweep the dirty laundry under the rug as they've done countless times before.

They've benefited greatly from people leaving them to operate without oversight, and they are hoping beyond hope that people will forget what's happened in the last 12 months so the Old Guard, WLP, and Josh Powell can all go back to fleecing the members. So they can go back to stabbing ALL gun owners in the back with compromise deals & other betrayals that keep the threat of 2A armageddon front and center.... because the politics of fear is so effective at raising money and increasing power!!
Thanks Minuteman1969, that answers my questions and what I feared was how it was set up. It sounds like it's almost like the hierarchy of "The Church Of Scientology" (no, I'm not a member, just know from watching documentaries on the subject). One person rules lackeys and subordinates through fear and intimidation, where change cannot or will not, take place. Although I'm not a fan of State AG's looking into and perhaps bring charges on NRA funding allocations, it may be the only way to get rid of this despot and allow change to hopefully occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back