testtest

Component Shortages

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Saw this on another site.

Quote...
  1. Brass. The copper mines in Chile are running on skeleton staff due to Covid. Copper is needed for certain self defense bullets, and for making the brass for the cartridge casings. It’s really hard to come by now. Even aluminum is in short supply. Soviet steel case ammo is more available, but due to hoarding, not even that is on store shelves.
  2. Lead. The last US smelter in MO is near shut down over Covid. Hard to make bullets without lead. All our lead now comes from China…
  3. Powder. Hodgdon’s Powders make most of their powder in Australia. Not long ago there were intense wildfires in Oz, and their route from factory to port took them through the worst of the fires. No one will transport gunpowder through a fire zone!! No sooner were the fires out than Covid came along. So there has been a shortage of powder to make cartridges for some time. You can get reloading quantities for home reloading still, but not so much the tons needed for full-on factory output.
  4. Bullet manufacturers. Apart from the shortage of raw materials, there are shortages of workers to run the machinery.

Last edited:
Saw this on another site.

Quote...
  1. Brass. The copper mines in Chile are running on skeleton staff due to Covid. Copper is needed for certain self defense bullets, and for making the brass for the cartridge casings. It’s really hard to come by now. Even aluminum is in short supply. Soviet steel case ammo is more available, but due to hoarding, not even that is on store shelves.
  2. Lead. The last US smelter in MO is near shut down over Covid. Hard to make bullets without lead. All our lead now comes from China…
  3. Powder. Hodgdon’s Powders make most of their powder in Australia. Not long ago there were intense wildfires in Oz, and their route from factory to port took them through the worst of the fires. No one will transport gunpowder through a fire zone!! No sooner were the fires out than Covid came along. So there has been a shortage of powder to make cartridges for some time. You can get reloading quantities for home reloading still, but not so much the tons needed for full-on factory output.
  4. Bullet manufacturers. Apart from the shortage of raw materials, there are shortages of workers to run the machinery.
Good Ammo status post @Talyn, thanks for sharing 👍. Although I have a hardy supply of most common calibers, I'm not shooting as much until supply and price start to come back and prices down (at least somewhat), before jumping back into buying.

Interesting article on potential of beating the ammo shortage with less common calibers. Depending on when this article was written, it may not even be entirely true. (as in, is 10mm and 357 Sig, readily available?). Then there the "Component Shortages", that will eventually affect all these calibers too.

Interesting article on potential of beating the ammo shortage with less common calibers. Depending on when this article was written, it may not even be entirely true. (as in, is 10mm and 357 Sig, readily available?). Then there the "Component Shortages", that will eventually affect all these calibers too.

I'm dong that in addition to getting into a new cartridge/rifle set-up.

A big problem here in Michigan is that primers are getting as rare as Hen's teeth. I notice one reloading company put out an add for powder, brass, bullets and primers. They give credit from the items towards purchase of their loaded ammo. You know things are tight when a manufacturer can not get supplies.

With the shortage of supplies I wonder how long before the industry finds good reliable alternatives.
Supply will catch up eventually. I would bet money those companies that source, manufacture and distribute the supplies are looking at quick expansion of parts, sources and suppliers. Too much money to be had not to.
Like White Claw... money making machine with that new category of hard seltzer. Now there are 50 hard seltzers.
Ammo will be same way with current suppliers looking to expand inventory to sell and make $$$$

Back