testtest

Conceal carry owner stops robbery

Customer with conceal carry stop robbery in PA.
One shot, either lucky or well trained.
I’m not being sarcastic.
This situation has been discussed many times on the forum, not being charged is understandable however that doesn’t mean he won’t be sued by the family of the bad actor even though he was threatening multiple people with a gun.
Unfortunately this is a litigious age where people expect money for nothing. Don’t get me wrong the man was justified in defending himself.
Period.

I’m not being sarcastic.
This situation has been discussed many times on the forum, not being charged is understandable however that doesn’t mean he won’t be sued by the family of the bad actor even though he was threatening multiple people with a gun.
Unfortunately this is a litigious age where people expect money for nothing. Don’t get me wrong the man was justified in defending himself.
Period.
Robber pointed gun at him. Family can sue all they want, but he was directly threatened at gunpoint.

I’m not being sarcastic.
Period.
The root of the problem is not so much the families filing suit, it's the liberal attitudes of most of society and even the judges today. Filing suit has always been a prerogative of American judicial and legal systems, because there are times when it is warranted and even necessary. However, over time and with society's changing attitudes, it is now to the point of exactly what you've said above. Not right .... just the way it is.

Much of this attitude has derived from the many, many cases and over years where insurance companies are involved in the defense. People who sit on juries (not all but a large majority) see insurance companies as 'deep' pockets and will return verdicts/judgements against them never understanding that it's us, the public who ultimately end up paying for these outlandish judgements.

And if/when the family files suit for whatever charge their shyster lawyer can come up with in this situation, it's a civil suit. Civil suits require only a preponderance of evidence to get a positive verdict for the plaintiff. In our criminal courts it requires a much higher standard, that being "beyond a reasonable doubt". But as long as our laws and courts are open to this kind of ridiculous outcomes, we'll see it get only worse. In this case and others like it where the law sees no criminal charges to be filed, there should be no avenue for civil charges to be filed.

And, the police have not filed charges against him. That in itself, goes a long way.

Guy's gonna be out court costs and legal fees, unless he gets a lawyer who is smart enough to counter-sue for expenses. If it comes to it.
Some states, like mine, have laws attached to stand your ground and castle which shield you from civil liability unless you have been charged with a crime. So solly Mr. Robber’s family. No free money for you.

Back