testtest

Concealed Carry Corner: The Importance Of Magazines

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
With countless options and manufacturers of magazines, it can be tough to know exactly which one is best for you and your carry needs.

The Importance Of Magazines

F22ECD9B-DEFB-4CAB-B4A1-D365C131A062-660x327.jpeg

An ex police armorer once told me the number one cause of stoppages and fsilures in pistols was magazine related. Either poor quality or dirty no maintenance were the two biggest reasons. 1911s are especially vulnerable to poor magazines.

Last edited:
When I got my surplus EG Majarov I bought 10 magazines to go with it. It would only run well with one. I tore them all apart and cleaned the magazine bodies and followers and put in new springs and the stoppages and not holding slide open after last round went away. Have not had one case of either since.

Why do some manufacturers ship cheap magazines with their handguns? I have owned Springfield and Kimber 1911s that shipped with cheap steel mags that both had to be replaced with better quality mags. Even my Sig P226 Legion shipped with magazines of questionable appearance (matte finish), but luckily these all function perfectly.

I carry OEM. I have replaced my 1911s with Wilson Combat. When I bought the Kimbers I was hearing bad things about frequent jamming, so I bought WC replacements and only run them. Have never had an issue. Not one.
I should clarify...I do not carry 1911, too big for me, but they are favorites at the range. I carry a Hellcat and a S&W M&P9 Shield EZ. Those guns I carry the OEM mags.

I should clarify...I do not carry 1911, too big for me, but they are favorites at the range. I carry a Hellcat and a S&W M&P9 Shield EZ. Those guns I carry the OEM mags.
I used to carry 1911s until my motorcycle wreck back in 2015. When I had 1911s(from different manufacturers, Sig Sauer, Springfield Armory, Para Ordinance, etc, etc.) I only carried Chip McCormick or Wilson Combat magazines.

Nowadays with my Glock 19 Gen 5 I use OEM magazines. It's nice that Glock 17 mags work in my Glock 19...:)

Good night sites and magazines...not making too many modifications or not making more than 1 modification at a time, usually prevents most malfunctions...:) Knowing what ammunition your firearm handles best also helps...:)

With countless options and manufacturers of magazines, it can be tough to know exactly which one is best for you and your carry needs.

The Importance Of Magazines

F22ECD9B-DEFB-4CAB-B4A1-D365C131A062-660x327.jpeg
This was a good read for me, as I have been carrying for less than a year. It answered questions I was going to ask here on the forum. How often to switch out the ammo and rotate mags through the months. I have been learning lots here. :)

I’ll probably get some flak on this here, but I am a firm believer in using original factory mags in my guns, now I have bought and used Mag-Pul for my G19 with no issues, but only for range use, factory mags for CCW or home defense
I also have Magpul magazines for my G19(Gen 5). I use them with snap caps to train and as extra magazines.

Gun Mag Warehouse sometimes has some great prices on magazines (OEM, Magpul, etc.). I've been impressed with how quickly Gun Mag Warehouse ships my orders and how quickly they arrive. But I'm in Texas, they're in Texas...:)

My AR556 has Magpul furniture on it and I've been very impressed with the quality of their products. I also have a Magpul sling and Magpul forend grip on the AR556...:)

I’ll probably get some flak on this here, but I am a firm believer in using original factory mags in my guns, now I have bought and used Mag-Pul for my G19 with no issues, but only for range use, factory mags for CCW or home defense
No flak from this camp. I'm certain I don't possess nearly the number of firearms than that of alot of members, so I've not needed to replace many magazines. I've simply tried to service my originals faithfully, and replace in kind as needed.

The vast majority of "metal" OEM mags are made by Mecgar so if you only want the pistol manufacturers name & higher price on it you'll pass on the same mag that Mecgar sells for a better price. So your SA stamped Mecgar mag is made by Megar for SA with their stamping on it.

But aftermarket 1911 mags from CM, Wilson. Brown are all GTG.

I only use Magpul Glock mags for range work since they're not as good as OEM Glock-branded, & SGM makes good "big-stick" Glock mags.

Last edited:
Back