testtest

Concealed Carry "Insurance"

Jfal

Professional
Anyone have comments/experience on the multitude of insurance(s) available? I saw a U-tube upload recently explaining how USCCA policy does not cover anything when you are "charged" with a felony (and any shooting you are involved with will be a felony in a lot of states/cities...think of the poor convenience store clerk in NY who shot an attacker and was charged by the DA), and if convicted, you owe them back any expenses paid on your behalf in your defense. Also said the USCCA policy requires any attorneys hired (by you) must abide by USCCA rules and regulations in your defense, thereby eliminating/breaking attorney-client privilege law(s). I have no personal experience here, but if your policy is canceled when you are (only) charged, what good is the insurance? Is this policy only for the initial investigation representation (of you, as a defendant)? I don't make enough to keep an attorney on retainer...I hear it's $10k initially plus maintenance fees thereafter...

Anyone have comments/experience on the multitude of insurance(s) available? I saw a U-tube upload recently explaining how USCCA policy does not cover anything when you are "charged" with a felony (and any shooting you are involved with will be a felony in a lot of states/cities...think of the poor convenience store clerk in NY who shot an attacker and was charged by the DA), and if convicted, you owe them back any expenses paid on your behalf in your defense. Also said the USCCA policy requires any attorneys hired (by you) must abide by USCCA rules and regulations in your defense, thereby eliminating/breaking attorney-client privilege law(s). I have no personal experience here, but if your policy is canceled when you are (only) charged, what good is the insurance? Is this policy only for the initial investigation representation (of you, as a defendant)? I don't make enough to keep an attorney on retainer...I hear it's $10k initially plus maintenance fees thereafter...
I have my own lawyer.

There are other threads here ( try the Search function) where this has been discussed. But it’s been awhile since I’ve seen it come up…

My limited understanding is that some of these services (USCCA?) function more or less like insurance. Others (US Law Shield?) don’t.

Guess it kinda depends on what you want out of it. But as with anything involving legalities, read the fine print, disclaimers, and exclusions.

An attorney that’s supplied by the Company has an obligation to the Company, then the Insured.
It’s always been that an insurance plan of any sort will not cover intentional, careless or negligent acts, that’s what the Company atty will determine - i.e. “what’s this going to cost us”.
There was discussion about an umbrella policy to fill gaps but they also have liability limitations also determined on the actions of the insured.
We seen police acting within the scope of the law, engage with armed assailants and still get charged by zealous justice reform activist prosecutors.
Mostly and depends where geographically, LE needs to prove greater force was necessary to overcome the assailant to make an arrest. Citizen is not afforded the same option as LE and is not, in some locales, to engage in a LE function and should withdraw from further involvement.

A private person is not a protected as LE, whom are also levied with punitive damages on top of suits that are settled, the jurisdiction does not pay punitive awards.

The NYC case was knife involved, and everyone could see he was on defensive, the initial problem with DA was the clerk was suppose ton surrender to attack. Week later DA dropped it only as more evidence came forward. Seems NYC DA “acted stupidly” and rushed judgement.
Hope the clerk has good representation.

The kid in Indiana mall incident may find his actions scrutinized by civil attorneys but not criminally. The mall did it’s due diligence by putting up a sign, but failed to (fill in the blank). This is how civil liability is fortuitous to the plaintiff or the estate of and leaves a poor samaritan poorer...they’ll seek the max from his insurance if any then go after the deeper pockets.

Instead of spouting falsehoods, search for the extensive threads already dedicated to this. Better yet go to the website of these orgs and actually see for yourself what they are all about.

If all of this is true I don't know how they could stay in business since it appears they do nothing for your money.

For something that important you should be reading the whole contract anyway. It’s not that long and is in fairly plain language. I’m getting ready to switch from USCCA to Second Call defense. The coverage amounts are a little less (last time I checked) but I’ve listened to a number of long interviews the founder has done, on a fav podcast I listen to, and he is hell bent on helping legal gun owners defend their right to self defense. Second Call Defense very much feels like a personal calling for him whereas USCCA feels like a company selling a product (albeit, hopefully, for the right reasons).

Instead of spouting falsehoods, search for the extensive threads already dedicated to this. Better yet go to the website of these orgs and actually see for yourself what they are all about.
The only claim I made in the thread is that I watched a video. I also did not find any threads on this site discussing specifically whether any insurance policies get canceled if you are charged with a felony. Nor did I find any of them discussing customers owing back money if they are convicted.

Clearly you have made a significant claim, that "none of that is true". Thank you, your reply has certainly sparked me to read the USCCA policy as it pertains to the claims made in the video I questioned.

You are welcome to block me, I'd rather you didn't reply to me with unhelpful snark to questions I post when I ask for opinions.

I am with CCW Safe. They offer more in terms of services than most do. Check them out as well. This really isn't "insurance" per say. It is more along the lines of paying a law firm or lawyer a monthly/yearly fee in the event you need them. They cover all aspects of the trial, from research, to witnesses, to all the things that go into a legal trial, as well as bond, etc. They also cover some things such as crime scene clean up (think home defense), recovery of your firearm, red flag charges, etc. They are there to help cover the costs of both a criminal and civil trial. They will provide you with a lawyer, or you can supply your own, it depends on them whether they will work with your lawyer or not. That is in the contract. Some of them will come after you for costs in the event you are found guilty, some may not. While I live in Florida, and some may say I don't need this, for me it is more for the civil trial, if God forbid I should ever have to use my firearm in self defense or defense of my wife, family and loved ones. To me, it just gives me peace of mind knowing that I am not going to have to go broke or file bankruptcy defending myself. And the way things have gotten in this nation, I don't trust the justice system to do the right thing in a "good shoot", whether that be criminal or civil. Yes, it comes at a price. But, it comes down to what your "peace of mind" is worth. Some may want it, some may not. Some may need it, some may not. I am not recommending one way or the other, everybody's situation/life needs and residency are different. Some people don't believe in it. If things weren't the way they are today, I would be in that camp. Do your research and do what is best for YOU and your situation/family.

For something that important you should be reading the whole contract anyway. It’s not that long and is in fairly plain language. I’m getting ready to switch from USCCA to Second Call defense. The coverage amounts are a little less (last time I checked) but I’ve listened to a number of long interviews the founder has done, on a fav podcast I listen to, and he is hell bent on helping legal gun owners defend their right to self defense. Second Call Defense very much feels like a personal calling for him whereas USCCA feels like a company selling a product (albeit, hopefully, for the right reasons).
Agreed. You should also do your research on what your state allows in regards to these “insurance companies” and policies.
I don’t have carry insurance so I have no dog in this fight however that being said I know full well what the state I live in has spelled out in regards to the use of deadly force. Prudence in knowing the law is paramount.
Personally I have a life long friend who knows my whole family and is a criminal prosecutor who has told me to call him for anything I need and he will be there for me no charge. Just lucky I guess.

Most of these are prepaid legal services, which is exactly what I want. I have policies with the NRA retired officer program and with US Law Shield. I live in Florida where you are immune from prosecution or civil liability if your use of force is within the legal parameters of justifiable use of force. However I do travel some, and you could encounter overzealous law enforcement after the use of force. You can be legally justified and have charges dropped and still end up with legal expenses that can break you.

I have seen “tables” which compare the various carrier’s policies. Those are a good resource. Personally, I think some type of policy is worthwhile these days and times when criminals seem to have more rights than innocent victims. Sad, but a government paid prosecutor can cause a lot of expense to a private citizen with really no consequences to the prosecutor.

i have USCCA, into my 2nd year now. cost me like $400 per year, for the "platinum" coverage.

i do not know that Youtube video you speak of, but i had a list of attorneys in my state, that USCCA pays for my defense, in fact, i had emailed him last year, so he is on my "speed dial".

As with any "insurance" you are financially covered when you are abiding the law. If you are found to have violated said law things change. If your house burns down you get a check from insurance if it is later determined you commited arson you get jail, no check, and if you did get a check you will pay it back.

Hi,

I've gathered these links in one handy post. Follow me for more profound glimpses into the obvious. :ROFLMAO:
-------------------------------

General USCCA benefit information:

Link to USCCA Membership agreement (PDF file): https://www.usccamemberterms.com/

Link to USCCA Self-Defense Liability Policy (PDF file): https://www.deltadefense.com/selfdefenseliabilitypolicy?

General CCW Safe benefit plans information:

Explanation of the CCW Safe "Legal Service Subscription Plan" (Terms and Conditions):

In no particular order, a list of websites that compare the two companies:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

something else one needs to know, is that some of these insurance companies are not available in all US states.

As of May 2018, several insurance programs, including NRA Carry Guard and a USCCA (United States Concealed Carry Association) program were being offered in New York but were subsequently alleged to be violating New York insurance regulations. Both programs and others have since pulled out of the New York market. The NY TAC Defense Program is a pre-paid legal product that allows clients to retain the firms services and pre-pay the legal services so that if they need to hire a lawyer for a self-defense shooting the client will not need to come up with a large lump sum retainer of $50,000 or more to retain a law firm. It is not insurance and therefore does not indemnify against any losses. It is simply an opportunity to retain a lawyer in advance.

now i am trying to find out more, but if i recall, there was at least one state on the west coast? that does not allow this insurance to be sold as well....

if i can find it, i will post it.

Some of the carriers will charge back expense costs if you are found guilty. Some reimburse only if you are found not guilty. Read them all. What you want is defense cost. That is what matters most I think.

Back