testtest

Cop-Killer Bullets: Gun Control Lie or Actual Threat?

I remember reading some discussion years ago on the subject. The cartridges that seemed to be of concern were leaked into the European black market. I cannot recall if they were Russian made? However, they were 9mm pistol cartridges and they were military penetration projectiles. To my knowledge very few even made it inside our borders by and large. This caused some serious media hype which spread to Hollywood, and inevitably effected legislation and policy via ignorance. "Black-tipped" cartridges were ostracized even though virtually none of them could penetrate IIIA soft armor: except the ultra-rare military cartridges that leaked into the EU black market and some of which made it to the US via Mexico if I remember correctly.

I remember reading some discussion years ago on the subject. The cartridges that seemed to be of concern were leaked into the European black market. I cannot recall if they were Russian made? However, they were 9mm pistol cartridges and they were military penetration projectiles. To my knowledge very few even made it inside our borders by and large. This caused some serious media hype which spread to Hollywood, and inevitably effected legislation and policy via ignorance. "Black-tipped" cartridges were ostracized even though virtually none of them could penetrate IIIA soft armor: except the ultra-rare military cartridges that leaked into the EU black market and some of which made it to the US via Mexico if I remember correctly.
Black tipped armor piercing ammo was what American GIs used in their M1s for most WWII in Europe.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled "Cop-Killer Bullets: Gun Control Lie or Actual Threat?" and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/cop-killer-bullets-gun-control-lie-or-actual-threat/.

Really good article, learned a couple of new things, plus confirmed what I thought to be true. yes, I remember the lethal Weapon movie where every other word was "cop killer" bullets ad nauseum. Especially I think it was a Mac10 that Mel fired through the bucket of a backhoe. Talk about not even close.

Good article!

I have only used nylon coated 9mm ball. And can't find it any longer. Loved it.

Years ago, I did some penetration tests of ammo. Here are a few of the penetration tests of stacked newsprint to give you an idea how various ammo performs.

.22 short 5/8 inch of newsprint (snubnose)
.22 quiet 1 inch of newsprint (snubnose)
.22 HVHP 2-3/8 inches of newsprint (snubnose)
.22 Stinger 3-1/4 inches of newsprint (snubnose)
.380 ball 3-3/8 inches of newsprint (Beretta)
.38 SP Federal ball 4 inches of newsprint (snubnose)
.357 Hornady plastic tip magnum 3-3/4 inches of compressed kraft paper (snubnose) (a)
.357 Hornady plastic tip magnum 6 inches of compressed kraft paper (Ruger 4" barrel) (a)
9mm Hornady 6-7/8 inches of newsprint (Beretta)
9mm XXXX nylon jacket 10 inches of newsprint (Beretta)
.45 Auto ball 4 inches of newsprint (Colt 1911)

(a) I was starting to change the tests to use compressed Kraft paper and never got round to finishing them. Kraft paper offer more resistance than newsprint. If the .357 was shot into newsprint I think the penetration would be about 25% more.

...on another topic.

Is Springfield working on an extended extra capacity mag for the 9mm Hellcat??

good article on this myth. As a teacher I have to debunk this every year, just like any journalist who calls a hollowpoint a dum dum. With the ever-improving ammunition and new calibers in the defense industry, there is a continuous struggle to eliminate these threats. Soft plate bulletproof vests are often penetrated because the point of the bullet pushes the yarns aside and not because the fibers fail. Luckily the industry is able to develop better kevlar and other meterials and ways of weaving. A new threat are the lead-free bullets because they don't smash like a mushroom on a vest. Fortunately, in Europe it rarely happens that police officers are shot, but when this happens, heavy weapons (AKM, AK74) are often used. Most incidents are settlements in the criminal circuit.

1654803988985.png

This is the russian cartridge

Back