testtest

Creating the Ultimate Garage Workshop

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

Here are some things to consider when building a garage workshop for car enthusiasts.

Creating the Ultimate Garage Workshop

1614127855024.png

You can build a garage-mahal...but then you'll accumulate more than enough stuff to fill it up.

I used to have a 2 car (inline - one car in back, second car just inside the door) garage, and it was "enough" for me to have four motorcycles, always at least one project car, and "enough" parts to keep stuff going. 10 years ago, I bought a new house that was built and owned by a contractor - it has a garage built like a bank barn. 6 car lower level (3 bays, 2 cars deep). Unfinished 2 bedroom apartment above it (studded in but no sheetrock or insulation). 40x40 workshop behind that. And a 12x12 garden shed back in the woods. When I bought the place in 2011...I could clap my hands and hear an echo in the garage.

Now...I can't move without tripping on stuff.

The 12x12 shed has spare transmissions, engine blocks, wheels, fencing, roofing shingles, and a riding mower that I'll fix "someday".

I built a workbench in the 40x40, that's where I work on the cars. I keep my work truck, my concert audio equipment, and one of my projects ('72 Satellite station wagon) in there along with tools.

Built a second workbench in the apartment's "living room" area, for motorcycles. Another toolbox and a second set of tools. Drill press. Hydraulic press. 50g air compressor. Air-powered 1,200lb motorcycle lift table.

The "kitchen" is project motorcycle parking (I changed the single entry door, to a double-door).

One bedroom is motorcycle parts. The other bedroom, and the bathroom, are auto parts.

The lower level has 5 cars in it. Zero-turn. Snowblower. Garden tools (hand tools, chainsaws, pressure washers, etc). Pancake compressor (with air piping throughout) to keep all the tires topped off. 2 motorcycles that I ride regularly. Mountain bikes. Waxes and polishes and cleaners. And a YUGE fireproof bank safe that weighs as much as a VW (it dented the deck on my car trailer when I brought it home), that I'm afraid to put in my living room because I don't want it to end up in my basement, but it's too cool to simply pitch.

You can have all the room in the world...and you'll fill it with crap in short order.

Moving in to this house was a pain.

With all this stuff, I don't even want to think about moving out!

You can build a garage-mahal...but then you'll accumulate more than enough stuff to fill it up.

I used to have a 2 car (inline - one car in back, second car just inside the door) garage, and it was "enough" for me to have four motorcycles, always at least one project car, and "enough" parts to keep stuff going. 10 years ago, I bought a new house that was built and owned by a contractor - it has a garage built like a bank barn. 6 car lower level (3 bays, 2 cars deep). Unfinished 2 bedroom apartment above it (studded in but no sheetrock or insulation). 40x40 workshop behind that. And a 12x12 garden shed back in the woods. When I bought the place in 2011...I could clap my hands and hear an echo in the garage.

Now...I can't move without tripping on stuff.

The 12x12 shed has spare transmissions, engine blocks, wheels, fencing, roofing shingles, and a riding mower that I'll fix "someday".

I built a workbench in the 40x40, that's where I work on the cars. I keep my work truck, my concert audio equipment, and one of my projects ('72 Satellite station wagon) in there along with tools.

Built a second workbench in the apartment's "living room" area, for motorcycles. Another toolbox and a second set of tools. Drill press. Hydraulic press. 50g air compressor. Air-powered 1,200lb motorcycle lift table.

The "kitchen" is project motorcycle parking (I changed the single entry door, to a double-door).

One bedroom is motorcycle parts. The other bedroom, and the bathroom, are auto parts.

The lower level has 5 cars in it. Zero-turn. Snowblower. Garden tools (hand tools, chainsaws, pressure washers, etc). Pancake compressor (with air piping throughout) to keep all the tires topped off. 2 motorcycles that I ride regularly. Mountain bikes. Waxes and polishes and cleaners. And a YUGE fireproof bank safe that weighs as much as a VW (it dented the deck on my car trailer when I brought it home), that I'm afraid to put in my living room because I don't want it to end up in my basement, but it's too cool to simply pitch.

You can have all the room in the world...and you'll fill it with crap in short order.

Moving in to this house was a pain.

With all this stuff, I don't even want to think about moving out!
Sounds painful. :)

One small possible reason for running out of space in boxes, bins and cab's?
Say, when looking for say one particular replacement screwdriver at store?
Then, seeing a whole set for great price including that one needed?
See where this is going? That set is going home!
And, usable space is going south?

Combine that newly acquired screwdriver set with the other screwdriver sets already in the shop with socket sets and other more specialized sets of whatever? Multiplied by bazillions? OUCH! It's a conspiracy I tell yah! A real one this time! Hah! Am of course kidding. There are many good reasons for back ups and spares. But, do we all really need 20 #3 Phillips? We do - right? :)

Back