testtest

Critical Defense or Federal HST?

I would agree with BangBang, the Golden Saber is a good round. My personal pecking order would be
1.) Federal HST 230 grain
2.) Speer Gold Dot 230 grain
3.) Remington Golden Saber 230 grain
4.) Hornady Critical Duty 230 grain

I would agree with BangBang, the Golden Saber is a good round. My personal pecking order would be
That’s a good list. With the ammo we have available to us and the test most of them get put through we have an upper hand at what we choose to run through our EDC, so long as it functions and it is accurate.

I want to add my opinion on this list . I agree with all of them except the last one unless you are using a 4" or longer BBL. Testing I have seen shows that the Critical Duty doesn't open very well out of a 3" BBL. Critical Defense would be the better option if using a 3" BBL gun EDC.

I’ve shot enough to know how they feel in my 9, 40 and 45 XDM Mod2’s not yet in my 1911 RO. One thing I noticed is no one mentioned the pros and cons of steel versus brass. I’ve heard many different arguments.

I shoot at least 4 mags or so of whatever ammo before I decide to trust my life to it. I can't give any detailed info on steel, all the ammo I shoot is brass.

I’ve shot enough to know how they feel in my 9, 40 and 45 XDM Mod2’s not yet in my 1911 RO. One thing I noticed is no one mentioned the pros and cons of steel versus brass. I’ve heard many different arguments.
Some pistols do not care for steel case, especially Russian made with lacquer protective coating. I've moved away from steel case to eliminate any issues.

I've run some of the Hornady Critical Duty out of a full size M&P9 pistol and was very happy with it. Accurate, good velocity, and I think it would do well against a threat. They make great ammo (but so does Federal, for that matter).
I use federal hst 9mm 147gr it was tested best out competition all friends carry same plus target sports put 50 box on sale for 25 dollars it works and feeds in all my guns

I use both sig v-crown and hornady critical defense in my 9mms. I get better expansion with the v-crown. I used the federal in my Glock 23 (.40) for a while. I really like sig v crown. But if I got to pick between the federal and hornady, I’d pick the federal.

I've used Speer short barreled Gold Dot and was pretty impressed with its performance. I was able to chrono it, and it was doing pretty well from a J-Frame snubby barrel, and it was accurate. Can't speak to its performance against a target —thankfully!

Greetings. My EDC pistol is an XD S mod 1. I've always used Hornady, but am interested in trying the HST. Comments and/or suggestions? Good shooting to all!

I have used Hornady in the past but switched to Federal HST 124 grain. Overall, the HSTs appear to have more consistent expansion results based on the Lucky Gunner's evaluation reports. Of course, making an accurate shot is the most important factor.

Back