testtest

Critical Defense or HST : Revisited

Mr.W.

Professional
Founding Member
Range time this AM, and was finally able to shoot the relatively new Micro HST 150 gr. with my XD S. My opinion, as promised: very soft-shooting round that cycled smoothly. This, in concert with all the ballistic tests, is proof positive enough for me to make Micro my new personal defense ammo. Good shooting.

Range time this AM, and was finally able to shoot the relatively new Micro HST 150 gr. with my XD S. My opinion, as promised: very soft-shooting round that cycled smoothly. This, in concert with all the ballistic tests, is proof positive enough for me to make Micro my new personal defense ammo. Good shooting.
Question, what were you using before?

What gun were you using? I have carried Critical Defense 185-gr. .45 in my carry gun for years. It shoots accurately, but I've not done any gel testing or anything like that (or used it for defense), so I don't know if it is as effective as they claim. Hope to never find out!

I'm sure they'll continue to serve you well, as I never had a specific problem with the round. I have the utmost respect for Hornady, as I use a lot of their products. Consistent expansion is the crucial reason for my decision to arm with Federal.
Have you tried Critical Duty. Its has better barrier penetration (winter clothing among other things)

What gun were you using? I have carried Critical Defense 185-gr. .45 in my carry gun for years. It shoots accurately, but I've not done any gel testing or anything like that (or used it for defense), so I don't know if it is as effective as they claim. Hope to never find out!
Right on, hope and pray we never have to find out! I carry an original XD S. The HST Micro is designed for the shorter barreled pistols. Check Lucky Gunner for impressive ballistic data.

Another reason I carry the Guard Dog. FMJ appearance (shell), with an expanding hollow point inside:

Federal Premium Guard Dog Home Defense Ammo
Designed specifically for home defense, Federal Premium® Guard Dog® Home Defense Ammo rounds are filled with an expanding polymer that minimizes over penetration through interior walls to help eliminate accidental injury to bystanders in other rooms or houses. Guard Dog ammo rounds open when they contact surfaces which allows them to slow and stop faster. Featuring EFMJ (expanding full metal jacket) construction, the high velocity, low recoil, and reliable feeding properties of this ammo makes it a perfect choice for defending home and family.
  • Specially designed for home protection
  • Expanding polymer
  • Large frontal expansion through barriers
  • High velocity with low recoil
  • Non-hollow-point design
  • EFMJ (expanding full metal jacket) construction

I use the Barnes 115gr TAC-XPD +P. The ballistics information came from a short barrel 9mm when Lucky Gunner performed their tests. I have witnessed water jug tests nothing scientific but the round performed well. You will see the results of many rounds for the more popular calibers.

HST in everything. .45s, .40s and 9mm. I tried the Hornady CD but one of my guns didn't like it that much so I stick to the tried and true.

Back