testtest

CSX and Shield Plus

youngolddude

Professional
Went to the range today and boy it was hot. This time I brought a Maglula mag loader and it was worth every penny. The wife and I alternated between guns and we had about 4 different ammo boxes and shot 250 rounds or so. I thought the Shield had better sights and was easier to shoot. Both had 3 dot sights, but I thought the Shield had an easier to see gap on the sides of the front post than the CSX. The Shield seemed to shoot closer to elevation than the CSX and I thought it softer recoiling. The wife liked the CSX better and her first comments didn't cover subjective recoil. She thought she shot the CSX better. Hmmm. I've included pics of my Shield and Shield/CSX targets. The combined target featured Shield hits above the CSX hits. The Shield target had two called flyers. 1st pic is combo target and second is Shield.

Attachments

• IMG_20220610_162730850.jpg
    IMG_20220610_162730850.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20220610_162757166.jpg
    IMG_20220610_162757166.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 92
Went to the range today and boy it was hot. This time I brought a Maglula mag loader and it was worth every penny. The wife and I alternated between guns and we had about 4 different ammo boxes and shot 250 rounds or so. I thought the Shield had better sights and was easier to shoot. Both had 3 dot sights, but I thought the Shield had an easier to see gap on the sides of the front post than the CSX. The Shield seemed to shoot closer to elevation than the CSX and I thought it softer recoiling. The wife liked the CSX better and her first comments didn't cover subjective recoil. She thought she shot the CSX better. Hmmm. I've included pics of my Shield and Shield/CSX targets. The combined target featured Shield hits above the CSX hits. The Shield target had two called flyers. 1st pic is combo target and second is Shield.
Nice, so you like the CSX?

Yes. I really like the features. Single action, cocked and locked, svelte. Side by side, the Shield was the winner, but hey, SA, metal ? It is really cool. I did get the trigger reset issue a few times. Not a big deal for me, but with rounds fired, the groups got smaller. I can't wait until I get a few thousand rounds through it. I may even opt for optional sights which I don't normally do. I paid $389 for the Shield Plus and $580 out the door for the CSX. On a cost basis, the Shield clearly wins. It is so easy to shoot to POA. The CSX is a few inches lower. Either would shoot to minute of bad guy. My wife didn't have an issue with either gun and I wouldn't call either snappy. She actually preferred the CSX. I shoot .45 and .44 caliber, but I detest painful recoil. Neither gun was painful to shoot.
The exciting thing was no failures with 4 different loads. I caught my wife changing her grip to a teacup grip and I corrected her and said to make it a crush grip, but I didn't closely watch her. Regardless, neither she or I had any failures whatsoever. That's what we want, always. Life is good.

Good to hear. I have had a few shields thru the years but have not purchased the shield plus. I figured I'd pass on that one but the CSX has gotten my interest. Since I have just purchased 2 new ones recently maybe the CSX will be on my fall purchase list. I am still drooling over that new Walther 22 WRM but the price is holding me back.

I gave my daughter my Shield 1.0. Then I rented the Shield Plus at the range. I really liked it, but have not pulled the trigger on purchasing it yet. I am still tugged strongly towards the Glock 19X. I rented it at the range also, and shot very will with it.

Decisions, decisions.....
Joe

I'm glad to hear that you like both guns. The Shield Plus impressed me enough that I am making it my EDC. I've carried my Sig Sauer P365 since it was released in 2018. The only thing I really liked more on the stock P365 than the stock Shield Plus were the Siglight Night Sites. I held off on purchasing a Shield Plus until S&W released the OSP model with night sights.

While my accuracy was about the same with both guns, what sold me on the Shield Plus was the concealability. It is probably due to my build, but the wider & fatter grip on the Plus prints significantly less the P365. I like the CSX, but like other shooters on the forum I just cannot justify buying another micro 9mm CCW so soon after buying the Shield Plus.

Same here. Now that I have a few of them, do I need the plus?
I put 250 rounds through my .45 Shield today at a training class. The ammo cost more than the class. It shoots very well and I shoot it very well. I would guess over half of the drills I ran heavily incorporated tactical reloads. My performance made me feel pretty good about the relatively low capacity. But then running drills well, even with an extremely high heart rate, does not mean I will perform well if my life is on the line. Then again even if I had 13+1 there's no guarantee that I would shoot that well with my life on the line either.

I'm glad to hear that you like both guns. The Shield Plus impressed me enough that I am making it my EDC. I've carried my Sig Sauer P365 since it was released in 2018. The only thing I really liked more on the stock P365 than the stock Shield Plus were the Siglight Night Sites. I held off on purchasing a Shield Plus until S&W released the OSP model with night sights.

While my accuracy was about the same with both guns, what sold me on the Shield Plus was the concealability. It is probably due to my build, but the wider & fatter grip on the Plus prints significantly less the P365. I like the CSX, but like other shooters on the forum I just cannot justify buying another micro 9mm CCW so soon after buying the Shield Plus.
Interesting about the concealability between the two. How are you holstering each?

Interesting about the concealability between the two. How are you holstering each?
IWB in a kydex holster. I carry the 365 with the 12 round magazine. This makes the grip of the gun very angular, and the point at the end of the grip/magazine prints noticeably. I have the same issue with the Hellcat.

When I carry guns like the Springfield XDS or S&W Shield Plus, the broader, more-rounded grip blends in with my torso and flows with my cover garment. This results in minimal, if any printing. My ideal carry gun would be an XDS, if Springfield gave it the stack-and-a-half treatment that S&W gave to the Shield Plus. I would buy a 12-14 round 9mm "XDS Plus" (or 9-11 round .45 ACP version) in a heartbeat.

Back