testtest

Dan Wesson Bruin 10mm Pistol Review: A Bear of a 1911

Good review on the Dan Wesson Bruin 10mm pistol. I have been in the market for a 10mm 1911 to go with my S&W 610 I got.

Thanks for the good read Anni,
Looks to be a well thought out designed pistol that loves the Winchester Silver Tips and Federal JSP's for lunch!

It amazes me that such fantastic firearms companies, including Dan Wesson, stay in NY or New England for that matter . Such anti gun rhetoric for decades.
I’d like to see them, Colt and many others leave liberal land. lots of other regular businesses have done such a move
Funny, had the same exact thoughts while reading article. Guessing am not the only one who possibly relates all of New York State with New York City? Supposedly, the whole states not as narrow minded as the city? But, the city sure exercises it's vocal cords more? Upper NY is fantastic visiting!

Good review on the Dan Wesson Bruin 10mm pistol. I have been in the market for a 10mm 1911 to go with my S&W 610 I got.

Good article. Thanks. I've wanted to try handgun hunting and this looks like it just might be worth a look.

I just read your review. I on the other hand, have had a completely opposite experience. I purchased a DW Bruin Bronze Two Tone going on about 6 months ago. Due to Ammo Shortage I was not able to fire the pistol for the first 2+ months. When I finally got some ammo 180gr FMJ I took it to an indoor range and it shot perfectly...just Two Mags. A couple weeks later same ammo the Bruin, started out fine 1st MAG, 2nd MAG... failure to feed and then when it did feed, it occasionally did not complete the battery cycle. Of Course, I did a little reading and some forums talked about having a few issue with other 1911s and they thought ... break in period..okay? So Third session at range... had same ammo and ammo from other manufacturer... Failure to feed up the wazoo, get 3 - 4 shots out and jam, trigger lock. had three other shooters try, may be I was doing something wrong... Nope, they all had FTF and Trigger Lock. Went out and bought 2 Kimber MAGs and 2 Wilson Combat MAGs. Same darn problems. Sent it back to DW for maintenance, got it back. Went to the range (they did not clean the pistol before returning it to me. It had globs of grease in slide and barrel was heavily fouled) I cleaned it lubed it and went to range (6 MAGs 5 Rnds Each, ammo from two different manufactures)...first two mags no problem. From the 3rd mag on, could not get more that 3 shots off before a FTF.
Got another RMA and it is going back to DW. At this point I do not have confidence in this firearm... sad, seeing as how much it cost. Just wanted to share and was wondering if any other Bruin owners are experiencing any problem.

Too be fair, it is a beautiful piece in appearance. When it did fire it handled beautifully. Love the trigger, the reset, the weight, the recoil...all just awesome...WHEN IT WORKED. Sights were easy to pick up, shot true. I hope they can fix this, if not they can keep the lemon. As I said, it is a beautiful piece, and I am willing to give another piece a chance. But for the cost of this firearm, and hype around it and it being a true USA corporation (pre-CZ)... there should be no lemons.

Last edited:
I just read your review. I on the other hand, have had a completely opposite experience. I purchased a DW Bruin Bronze Two Tone going on about 6 months ago. Due to Ammo Shortage I was not able to fire the pistol for the first 2+ months. When I finally got some ammo 180gr FMJ I took it to an indoor range and it shot perfectly...just Two Mags. A couple weeks later same ammo the Bruin, started out fine 1st MAG, 2nd MAG... failure to feed and then when it did feed, it occasionally did not complete the battery cycle. Of Course, I did a little reading and some forums talked about having a few issue with other 1911s and they thought ... break in period..okay? So Third session at range... had same ammo and ammo from other manufacturer... Failure to feed up the wazoo, get 3 - 4 shots out and jam, trigger lock. had three other shooters try, may be I was doing something wrong... Nope, they all had FTF and Trigger Lock. Went out and bought 2 Kimber MAGs and 2 Wilson Combat MAGs. Same darn problems. Sent it back to DW for maintenance, got it back. Went to the range (they did not clean the pistol before returning it to me. It had globs of grease in slide and barrel was heavily fouled) I cleaned it lubed it and went to range (6 MAGs 5 Rnds Each, ammo from two different manufactures)...first two mags no problem. From the 3rd mag on, could not get more that 3 shots off before a FTF.
Got another RMA and it is going back to DW. At this point I do not have confidence in this firearm... sad, seeing as how much it cost. Just wanted to share and was wondering if any other Bruin owners are experiencing any problem.

Too be fair, it is a beautiful piece in appearance. When it did fire it handled beautifully. Love the trigger, the reset, the weight, the recoil...all just awesome...WHEN IT WORKED. Sights were easy to pick up, shot true. I hope they can fix this, if not they can keep the lemon. As I said, it is a beautiful piece, and I am willing to give another piece a chance. But for the cost of this firearm, and hype around it and it being a true USA corporation (pre-CZ)... there should be no lemons.
Anything mechanical can have mechanical issues. I have yet to see ANY firearm, or other mechanism no matter the price, that does not have some percentage of the item
which have more problems than others.

Sadly you seem to have gotten one of those... hopefully they can fix your issues.

I never thought I’d own a two tone 1911 until I saw the SA Emissary and that DW Bruin is beautiful, not that I’d like a 6.3 inch barrel and I don’t hunt. Also at over $2,300 it’s way out of my budget unless I won the lottery. I am thinking about a 10mm 1911 but not right now.

Trust me... It took a lot of hem & haw to get comfortable putting up the cash for the Bruin. I guess I got a bug that just would not let me leave it alone. AS i was looking for a replacement sidearm for my .357 MAG. I do hunt and there are times when I am out scouting, that I felt a need to have a more powerful sidearm. Bottomline, I wanted it, I had to have it, and the hype was just over the top, that I could not resist. So I got it. It does shoot good, when...

Last advice I got from DW cust rep... they recommend using a grease like Mil-Comm TW25B, Hmmmm.

As a rule of thumb I now stay away from 1911's in 10mm as I've had numerous f2f issues. My nightstand gun is the XDM OSP 10mm with light and optic. That thing has been money every time I take it to the range!

Back