testtest

dang credit card fraud jerks...!!

Old_Me

Ronin
yeah, i started up my 'puter and at 5:30 AM, i checked my emails, one of my banks sent me a C.C. fraud alert..!!

apparently, "some company" in Mt. Clair NY (no name however) tried to charge me with over $1,200 !!

i did call the bank's hotline, and the guy ran down a list (short list) of the purchases i made this weekend, and i approved those..(2 purchases)

so, anyway, they recognized a fraud right away, and had already stopped that transaction, so i am safe.

but sheesh, that's a relatively new card, and only used a few times.....but with todays hackers, nothing is safe as we all know.

i get a new credit card in about a week....

and the 2 charges i already made, will still go thru.

how else do we buy online..??

debit card..??? uh, no way, then the thugs can clean you out instantly.....

oh and i also have "Bit-Defender" as my all in one protector on the web, and many times, it will "block" a suspicious website, of any sort, not just online shopping, and then i just exit out.

but for the thief to even try to buy something with my c.c., he'd have to know that 3 digit security number on the back of the card, so somewhere, at another site, THAT site got hacked.

i'm going to go to the places me and the Mrs shop at, and remove our C.C. information.

anyway......

just another day in paradise........or in da hood.......

I had that happen at a restaurant, nailed me for 3900.00 $ the server or someone had a small device that fits in their hand, u slide the card thru and get all the info on the card balance security code everything.
(that's what I was told anyway). I pay cash now.

I use CC online tho just for the protection it offers against this kind of crap. Sure p!sses u off

At least every other year, one of my 2 CC numbers gets stolen and I go through the process you did. The last 3 times occurred after Amazon purchases (no evidence, just coincidence). Rather than a high-tech scheme, it can also be as simple as a customer service rep at the retailer taking your CC home at the end of their shift and using it to make purchases. I tend to think the simplest explanation is usually best.

It happened to me last month at a Staples. I hadn't even got home and they were charging stuff in California! Took 2 weeks to get new card. I called the store the next day and the manager couldn't care less. I don't go to Staples anymore.

Credit card companies do an excellent job of catching fraud as it happens. There are times when they are wrong but it is always easily fixable. We were in Goshen Indiana for a large RV rally where there where many vendors. My wife tried to buy a purse from one of the vendors and the card was denied. At the same time I got a text message on my phone telling me my card was declined because of potential fraud. All I had to do was respond that it was a legitimate purchase and the card was unlocked.

I had a new Visa card sent to me a while back, they indicated my card info may have been compromised.
About a month later I got a letter from one of the Online companies I buy from indicating that their online hosting company had been hacked and info entered in the "checkout" had been compromised from September 17, 2020 until Feb 3, 2022, more than a whole YEAR! The hosting site had many vendors that were all compromised.

Just last week I got a notice from Amex they were sending a new card because my old card had been compromised.

Thankfully no fraudulent charges were made on my accounts.

well it's "funny" that 1 credit card i have from Visa/Toyota, stopped payments on all my card usage. i had to call them and find out why.

after me doing some research, i found that is was Wilson Combat, that had a security breach....and much later i get a letter from them...like thanks Wilson....for the LOONNNG DELAY in informing me....!!!

i was told that after the first time, i should have called them, but THAT email went to my spam folder, so i never saw it, till they told me they sent out that email.

so every other charge was denied. (frankly, only the 2)

after a 10 minute call, it was cleared up, and they too sent me a new credit card.(about nearly 10 days)

so yes, we do have protection, but at times too, it is very annoying, as all transactions are held back, until i call the credit card company. then from there, they only "spot check" my account, or the Mrs. account. (this is yet another c.c. from capital one)

but it is safer to use a credit card than a debit card, when buying online.

another good avenue is to buy a pre-paid credit card, load it up each time before you use it, but those times you are online, you have to run to the bank, load it up then go back online..???

i suppose you can re-load those cards online too, but i never had one, so i don't know.

but in any event, the hackers cannot charge/take, anymore than what we load up on them.

then too, that type of pre-paid card, does not build up your credit scores either. as you are pretty much dealing with cash, not actual credit.

at one time, it was well known the Nigerians were pro's at banking fraud.......who knows now, who's doing this, these days..???

I had a new Visa card sent to me a while back, they indicated my card info may have been compromised.
About a month later I got a letter from one of the Online companies I buy from indicating that their online hosting company had been hacked and info entered in the "checkout" had been compromised from September 17, 2020 until Feb 3, 2022, more than a whole YEAR! The hosting site had many vendors that were all compromised.

Just last week I got a notice from Amex they were sending a new card because my old card had been compromised.

Thankfully no fraudulent charges were made on my accounts.
Unfortunately it sometimes takes months for fraudulent charges to hit the card that is compromised, I found that out after moving to Kentucky and visiting an (Olive Garden) for dinner, it was six months after that my card was hit for multiple Uber/Lyft rides all over the country and 1 charge to Walmart online. Although it was a debit card I got all my money back.
For this reason I get new cards every 6 months that are linked to my bank accounts.

How do I know it was that particular restaurant is because it was the only place I used that card at it being a new account.

I have text and email notifications setup for all my cards and accounts so I get a real time update on any purchases made over $1.00. I also have 2 factor identification setup for all my accounts and I keep my credit frozen with the 3 big reporting agencies so nobody can open a fraudulent account in my name.

These scammers should be tried and when found guilty they should be walked to the gallows.

I have text and email notifications setup for all my cards and accounts so I get a real time update on any purchases made over $1.00. I also have 2 factor identification setup for all my accounts and I keep my credit frozen with the 3 big reporting agencies so nobody can open a fraudulent account in my name.

These scammers should be tried and when found guilty they should be walked to the gallows.
Any time our cards are used my wife's phone immediately starts making noise.

And yes, credit cards are better to use for online transactions, although your bank card is usually issued by Visa or MC and is also protected.

While I only use me local bank that makes their own in-house cards it's easier to get a new 1 in minutes. The old owners (bank that is) did a very good job on notifications, but the new owners.........not so much. They do however reimburse/reverse charges I've disputed without issues. With the new banking peeps there's less employees working there I know. The new peeps are more difficult to deal with, so I go to 1's I only know.

Getting someone to answer a phone (para espanol marque dos) at the local bank branch is a miracle, doubly if that person is knowledgeable and helpful and doesn’t transfer you to someone else who doesn’t answer the phone. Heck, my distant local branch (2 nearest closed for good due to the flu 2 yrs ago) doesn’t even lobby hours until 10:00 am and then there’s a +30 min wait line.

Always if possible set up low limits and cellphone notifications, I set mine at $100 too. Never allow any in-store retailer to enter any of your card acct numbers manually - usually they’ll say “oh I’m having a problem with the reader or I’ll be right back”...same with your drivers license never surrender id’s to someone walking out of sight or someone using a cellphone as it may be in photo mode.
Quite easy to obtain the credit card number, though the cvv 3 digit code is necessary, be leery of websites that don't ask for it. RFID readers are a dime a dozen from the China market. Having a credit card out in your hand hanging low at your side while waiting in line to pay makes obtaining the data easy by either the thief behind you are a sudden passerby. A CC RFID protector sleeve is cheap insurance.

No-Bond sanctuary city crooks are now robbing mail carriers here and taking the universal postal master keys. They then raid mailbox’s and get your mailed cc info from the statements. If the thief doesn’t use your cc info, they sell it off. Opting for Paperless billing for everything, including utility bills is a good idea.

Ever go to one of the big-box retailers?
They’ll offer 25-30% off your first purchase if you open a cc at the point of sale, if your within the credit score parameters, you’re instantly approved. That’s fine… But watch out -
Every year I‘ll notify the big 3 credit report bureaus and put a hold on “new” credit card applications. It would require any cc inquiry to call you before the application is approved.

These big city theft and fraud problems are finding their way into smaller trusting areas. Never let your guard down.

Back