testtest

Danger: Discount ammo - ST Auctions

We all want to get a good deal on ammo. Please exercise caution when using Gunbroker as there are alot of nefarious sellers out there and GB doesn't offer protection or remove these sellers. ST Auctions is selling 556 (855 and 193) rejected lots of ammo as "new." Approximately 30% of the ammo arrived damaged with a note saying it was a loaded by a 3rd party and might not meet quality standards. Will the ammo fire, probably. But cost of a hospital visit is far more than the cost of good ammo. You bought a nice rifle, feed it nice ammo.
IMG_7554[1].JPGIMG_7553[1].JPGIMG_7559[1].JPG

Yeah, I think I would inspect every round, and reject any that look like the ones you showed us. Scary stuff!
Problem is you spend good money and end up with that garbage and on top of it are stuck safely getting rid of it yourself. If you reload you may salvage the bullet but the rest is waste and you still have that hot primer. Maybe shoot it in your weapon.
Then overall, after separating the good from the bad, have you saved anything over factory or reloading your own ammo? I'll bet not.
Even after I sorted out what looked good I'd still be nervous. How many are over charged and will cause a pressure issue? How many Squib loads will I have to catch and then pound back out? Too many unknowns for me to even bother messing with that crap.

You want to inspect all the ammo before you load your firearm. Have bought factory fresh ammo before to find their quality control definitely missed some rounds that should never have left the factory.

Exactly my findings. I purchased 4 boxes of 380ACP for my daughter last year, and she had a failure to go into battery and a subsequent jam with her LC380 due to a primer that was not seated flush to the case. Going through the rest of those boxes, 3 rounds had that defect. Max tech purchased from Bud’s for anyone interested - I won’t buy those again.

When I use factory ammo at the range I don't worry too much. My factory choice is the White Box Winchester and Blazer Brass which both have done fine. Although a range buddy has had 2 FTF out of the White Box.
My carry ammo is my reloads. I take great care in the form, fit and function. Recycle once a month. Never had an issue.

Yeah I've been there. I bought some ammo from a friend. Most of the bullets weren't any good due to damage. Angelfire Ammunition has some good deals weekly. Right now they have free shipping over $200 with mix and match with the code SHIPMIXFREE.

You want to inspect all the ammo before you load your firearm. Have bought factory fresh ammo before to find their quality control definitely missed some rounds that should never have left the factory.

^ This, yet again, as with jfmorris, too.

I cannot emphasize enough just how much even paying just *slight* attention to loading your magazine or gun can help the shooter avoid what could potentially be catastrophic.

I've also had factory-new ammo from reputable manufacturers such as Speer actually be so physically deformed as they came out of the box that they would not even fit in the magazine, forgetting the chamber altogether.
Problems can occur: modern manufacturing practices, tolerances and QA/QC means that these events are unlikely, but they're still possibilities, so any time you load "serious use" ammo, at the very least, I *implore* you to please at least give it a quick visual and tactile once-over.

I've gone through maybe 150,000 round of factory-new 9x19 over the last 10 years, both range-fodder and premium defensive ammo, and while I can only count on one hand the instances where I've come across such problematic cartridges myself, that's still five fingers too many.

I usually stuff my pistol mags by hand, without the assistance of a loading device, but even with something like the MagLula UpLula, I find that I still have more than sufficient time to physically look at each round as it is being fed into the chute, and that my fingers will pick up irregularities. I'm honestly just as lazy as the next dude :cool:, and in a class where I'm going through 500 to 1K rounds a day, I will readily admit that I am not going to take the time to physically detail-inspect and "plunk test" each round as I would my defensive ammo. But even going as fast as I can, I find that I won't out-pace myself, and that the only way I could potentially miss something is if I chose not to pay attention to the act, at-all. So slow down just a hair, and hopefully save yourself and your shooting partners a lot of grief! :)

We all want to get a good deal on ammo. Please exercise caution when using Gunbroker as there are alot of nefarious sellers out there and GB doesn't offer protection or remove these sellers. ST Auctions is selling 556 (855 and 193) rejected lots of ammo as "new." Approximately 30% of the ammo arrived damaged with a note saying it was a loaded by a 3rd party and might not meet quality standards. Will the ammo fire, probably. But cost of a hospital visit is far more than the cost of good ammo. You bought a nice rifle, feed it nice ammo.
View attachment 484View attachment 485View attachment 486
Thanks for the info. Have been looking at ammo on GB. Thanks again.

Everybody at my range knows I reload. While I'm at the counter a non member shooter comes to the counter. Ask the fellow (RO) behind the counter what he could do with these. Hands him a quart zip lock baggy of 45ACP. Apparently he had gotten a "great deal" at the local flea market. Complaint was FTF. Wouldn't load in a range pistol either. It was given to me to take care of. Using a crimp die on a couple they fed find. Not being my reloads I took them apart. Weighed the bullets. They were fine so reloaded at min charge and used them. Got a free bag of brass.
Don't buy ammo at the flea market. It's way to dangerous IMHO!

Back