testtest

Daughters first time with pistols

KillerFord1977

SAINT
Founding Member
The daughter loves to hog hunt and got proficient with .300BO and hogs, but she never really wanted to try out pistol shooting.
She changed her mind and asked me to take her today.
RO and I did some safety, function and sight prep with her for about 20min. Used the fake plastic training gun and a true firearm to get her prepped for the experience.
He was kind enough to open the empty range side for us to let her shoot without folks banging away in bays next to us.

Started with my Taurus Tx22 and moved her up to the Sig 320 X5 Legion.

She absolutely loved it !!!
Had a blast and wants to keep going each trip home from college.
I’m so thrilled and proud all at the same time.☺️☺️☺️☺️

First couple mags of the .22 were really good on 3” circles at 5 yards. She got a feel for trigger and sight control and started closing in the groups.

She knocked it out of the park with the X5
Shot 1 hair right
Shot 2 hair low
Shot 3 bullseye ..
rest of mag was right in the 3” and smidge off 🕺🕺🕺

She wants my Legion now 😳😳😳😩😩😩😩
0353698A-F627-4082-A5AB-E7AD3F0B6373.jpeg
08C78FC3-3A75-427D-93AF-5D6C48A24DD7.jpeg
B3D127ED-5984-4F2C-9334-EF8951D9A5B1.jpeg

Congratulations on bringing up your daughter with the knowledge of how to use firearms. I have raised three sons and taught them all how to shoot. When our children are young we some times let them win at different things as to not discourage them from participation. And as we get older and our children mature we usually find ourselves trying to keep up. Fortunately this has yet to happen shooting. Just before my twins left for USAFA we were at the gun range and I was showing them stances for single handed pistol. They both laughed and said I couldnt hit anything standing like that. S&W 625 loaded with 200gr swc over 7gr of Unique at 25 yards. The Lord truly blessed me that day and the target still hangs in my garage.

Totally awesome Killer, memories to last a life time truly a life skill. I talked to both my boys about shooting when they were younger and shot pellet guns in the back yard, neither had interest when they got older to try firearms. Of course one of my boys is now a weapons expert in the Air Force and was just promoted to Staff Sargent.

Looks like a great time was had by all !!! Kudos to the teach!

All of her groupls were pretty good for a new handgun shooter. I'm curious though why it seems she was pushing just a tad on the early targets (hitting/grouping primarily to the left of center), although not bad shooting at all, then towards the end it looked a little like she was pulling just a tad and hitting slightly to the right until the last and then was pretty much group centered w/5-6 right, 3 left and one big Bulls eye! She'll be looking for a challenge next trip.

She done good there KF77, tell her JJ said congrats !!! Looks like the teach did alright too !!!

Looks like a great time was had by all !!! Kudos to the teach!

All of her groupls were pretty good for a new handgun shooter. I'm curious though why it seems she was pushing just a tad on the early targets (hitting/grouping primarily to the left of center), although not bad shooting at all, then towards the end it looked a little like she was pulling just a tad and hitting slightly to the right until the last and then was pretty much group centered w/5-6 right, 3 left and one big Bulls eye! She'll be looking for a challenge next trip.

She done good there KF77, tell her JJ said congrats !!! Looks like the teach did alright too !!!
son, daughter and also myself are all left eye dominant and right handed. We don’t look straight down the sight picture as the pistol sight and left eye dont align perfect with the right hand. One has a tendancy to shoot left if you dont learn to correct/compensate.
She is in the learning phase .
I’ve got it figured out 🙂

Couple in trigger discipline and grip, she did really well for first time ever with a pistol.
Better than the yahoo’s in the next range that couldnt had a target at 5 yards 🧐🧐

Yeh, she did very well. And understanding you covering her face for the pic, but I'll bet her smile was a mile wide !!!

Oh man, left eye dominant and right handed is a bummer. Takes a good bit of work to overcome. I used to see it often in youngsters when teaching the state hunter safety program. In fact my wife is right eye dominant and left handed (mostly). She can do a few things with her right hand, but not much.

Worked with her over a long time and she finally learned to shoot using her right hand and right eye and has done well including becoming a state champion in Small bore HP Silhouette in her class back in 1985 IIRC.

I've always been a believer and practitioner of matching the shooting hand to the dominant eye if at all feasible. Seems to usually work better in the long run, but I've also seen many go the other way and learn to shoot with dominant hand regardless of dominant eye. Sounds like you've got it figured, I'm sure she will too.

Dang, that's what I really like ....... an entire shooting family!!!!

Back