testtest

Dedicated gun safe...biometric or code?

What is your preferred access method for a firearm safe?

• biometric

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • code

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • key

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • combination

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters
The problem with biometric sensors is that CHEAP biometric locks seem to be crappy, and I wouldn't want one on the 1 gun safe next to my bed, as it may or may not work when you need your gun in a hurry. I don't actually have a safe next to the bed, but keep my EDC in my night stand, as the youngest kid in the house is 22 now.

The other issue I read about is that most "affordable" gun safes with biometric locks have been proven to be hackable with paperclips or screwdrivers - often by just jamming it into the backup key slot on many of these. While I am sure there are quality biometric locks, as you get what you pay for, I think I prefer a combo pad or key myself.

The other issue I read about is that most "affordable" gun safes with biometric locks have been proven to be hackable with paperclips or screwdrivers - often by just jamming it into the backup key slot on many of these.

I didn't know about it. And it really makes me anxious.

But I bought a biometric safe about half a year ago (Verifi Smart.Safe). My wife and I scanned the fingerprints of both hands. During this time, the biometric lock has never given us an error. I did not study deeply the price range of safes, but it seems I didn't buy the most expensive one.

Last edited:
I use a Hornady RapidSafe at my bedside, which features RFID technology with included bracelet, key fob, and decals for rapid access to my firearm without the need for a code or biometrics. You can also use a user-defined key code or lock keys to gain entry.
I got one of these for Christmas the year before last and it failed to work. I had it set up for bracelet and everything was working fine. I get up the next morning and it will not recognize the bracelet. I used the key and when I got home that evening tried again with the bracelet, key fob, and one of the stickers. For about an hour any of them would open it, after that none. It may have been a fluke but I was too uneasy about the results to get another one.

I got one of these for Christmas the year before last and it failed to work. I had it set up for bracelet and everything was working fine. I get up the next morning and it will not recognize the bracelet. I used the key and when I got home that evening tried again with the bracelet, key fob, and one of the stickers. For about an hour any of them would open it, after that none. It may have been a fluke but I was too uneasy about the results to get another one.
Wow, sorry to hear that. I've had mine for over two years now without a single issue. I even use mine cabled to the trunk to travel through restrictive states that do not recognize my CCW. Good luck on a replacement.

I didn't know about it. And it really makes me anxious.

But I bought a biometric safe about half a year ago (Verifi Smart.Safe). My wife and I scanned the fingerprints of both hands. During this time, the biometric lock has never given us an error. I did not study deeply the price range of safes, but it seems I didтэеt buy the most expensive one.

That appears to be one of the better ones. And while there is a Youtube video showing how to pick its lock in under 1 second, it required using a special "rake" key to do so.

Key. I don't trust battery-operated, finger print, etc, etc, stuff. I have a metal gun cabinet, not a safe, and access is only via a key. The key location is only known to my wife and I. I don't remove the key until I've closed the door, and the cabinet door is only open while I'm removing or replacing a firearm, ammo, etc. If something fails and I can't open it, I'll call a locksmith.

Your not going to beat a combination on a safe. Talking safes is comparing Nissan to Ferrari, per say... it’s all in what you buy. I’m not talking about a Stack-On. You need a good safe and it’s great to have a biometric safe in your bedroom if that’s what you want to keep a handgun locked up from your kids. Having said all that I got a keypad but I also got a pretty expensive safe on sale so I settled but the quality is better than the lower grade safes. As most of you have, I’m sure seen or read, it takes a lot to make a safe “burglar” proof, for the most part. Not all are unless you have a safe room like @BET7. The gauge plays a big role. It’s slower to access a combination, I know but if you have to have a gun, keep one out. A safe is to store and secure your items.

Back