testtest

Defensive Revolver Calibers

Nice write up on some of the best revolver rounds for defense, good little read.

Good read and good information.
I need to shoot my Taurus a little more however ammunition is still hard to come by, I want to find that Hornady FlexLock critical duty round mentioned in the article.

Curious as to no 45acp. I have a S&W 625 that is super accurate. I have some of the old Speer 200gr bullets better known as flying ashtrays loaded with 8.4 gr of Unique that chrono graphed at about 1100 fps Wanted to deer hunt with the load but always ended up with my Marlin 44mag

Excellent article. I respect the author for keeping the usual "caliber wars" content to a minimum while focusing on which ammo works best in each gun. Revolver ammo is still difficult to find in my neck of the woods, so .38 Special is the only centerfire cartridge I'm getting any training time with. I look forward to experimenting with different .44 Special loads in my Bulldog whenever ammo starts showing up on shelves again.

Good read and good information.
I need to shoot my Taurus a little more however ammunition is still hard to come by, I want to find that Hornady FlexLock critical duty round mentioned in the article.
What caliber? Online sellers are bursting at the seams with ammo if you're able/ willing to go that route!

0F8C64A5-4998-486C-88F3-48E095F00B42.jpeg
When shot from an L-frame, recoil is about the same as a water pistol.

Last edited:
The two revolvers I have for different purposes are the Ruger LCR 9mm and the S&W Performance Center Model 19 Carry Comp 357. As expected both are very reliable trusted handguns that serve their purpose very well. No complaints!
How do you like that Carry Comp?

Close quarters self defense 2” bbl I’ve read that wadcutter (WC) is getting decent +12” penetration.
Any opinions?
I recently seen .45 acp WC’s going for 80¢, that’s a bit more than than FMJ’s . Didn’t search but I don’t recall much in .38 spl. WC available.
If only I could remember what I paid for a box which at the time I picked up 10 because it was soooooo plentiful and nobody wanted WC’s.
This is my very last box circa 1988, might have been $5 ?
2A4A3117-AF23-48E6-8867-180DED4425E1.jpeg

“Buy land ammo, they're not making it cheaper anymore.” ― Mark Twain​

Close quarters self defense 2” bbl I’ve read that wadcutter (WC) is getting decent +12” penetration.
Any opinions?
I recently seen .45 acp WC’s going for 80¢, that’s a bit more than than FMJ’s . Didn’t search but I don’t recall much in .38 spl. WC available.
If only I could remember what I paid for a box which at the time I picked up 10 because it was soooooo plentiful and nobody wanted WC’s.
This is my very last box circa 1988, might have been $5 ?
View attachment 29788

“Buy land ammo, they're not making it cheaper anymore.” ― Mark Twain​

A wad cutter beats a round nose…but I prefer SWC’s, or SWC-HP’s.

Back