testtest

Did the M14 Fail the BAR?

I can't take credit for that :) That's all author Tom Laemlein and his amazing photo collection. He turns in some great material and incredible images. I personally really like the historical texture his pieces add to the weekly content on TAL. Thanks for reading!

I was in Basic Training with the Marines at Camp Pendleton in 1968 and I trained with the M-14 Rifle.
As far as I am concerned, it was the greatest rifle I have ever held in my hands. I have been hunting
for over 60 years and despite all the weapons I have acquired, I dream about this rifle. I will agree that
firing the M-14 on full automatic was not practical, since three round bursts were the best one could
do and still stay on target. We fired in the prone position on the 200, 300, and 500 yard range and with
open sites, this rifle was dead on! I would have traded anything to use this weapon in Vietnam but I did
not see it unless a Marine Corps sniper was holding it with a starlight scope mounted. Before I pass on to
my reward, I will own one of the civilian version M-14's and will pass it on the my Grandsons and teach
them of this weapons legacy.

Thanks Jerry, you took the words right out of my mouth. I was in Army Basic Training at Fort Jackson SC in 1971 and had to qualify with both the M16 and M14. I easily qualified Expert with the M14 and Marksman with the M16. I felt cheated as none of the M14s were issued. Everyone got the M16. My dream is to have an M14 with a scope. My MOS was the M40A1 106 MM recoilless rifle and the 90 MM recoilless rifle. These were good to 2200 M because they were direct fire weapons. I can't have an M2 50 caliber so the M14 moves to the top of the need to have list. I think every veteran should have one. The old photos are priceless.

Production did stop, but they were everywhere except for Marine FMF units. I qualified with the M14 at PI in early 1970. Later, at ITR at Camp Lejeune, we were given the Mattel M16. In Staging Battalion at Camp Pendleton at the end of 1970, we had the M16. Later in my career from 72 to 75, we had the M14 on I&I duty. Then onto Sea Duty with the USS Oriskany, we had the M14 in 1975-76. Now, I have the M1A Scout. The M14 was the best, most accurate service rifle serving our Corps. Yes, as an 0311, the M14 on full auto was not accurate and required 3-round bursts which was not acceptable, so it failed in replacing the BAR. But, the M60 did a fine job. Here is my M1A/
m1A (2).jpg

Last edited:
Production did stop, but they were everywhere except for Marine FMF units. I qualified with the M14 at PI in early 1970. Later, at ITR at Camp Lejeune, we were given the Mattel M16. In Staging Battalion at Camp Pendleton at the end of 1970, we had the M16. Later in my career from 72 to 75, we had the M14 on I&I duty. Then onto Sea Duty with the USS Oriskany, we had the M14 in 1975-76. Now, I have the M1A Scout. The M14 was the best, most accurate service rifle serving our Corps. Yes, as an 0311, the M14 on full auto was not accurate and required 3-round bursts which was not acceptable, so it failed in replacing the BAR. But, the M60 did a fine job. Here is my M1A/View attachment 10084
Thanks so much for sharing the photo. What a great setup you have. I bet you can't get the smile off your face. Did my time, got out, forgot about everything raising a family. They are all grown and have their own family and I got interested again in military firearms after purchasing a 1911. An M14 with a scope and bipod will be perfect for me. I can't find anything right now so I will need to wait. My dad carried a BAR in 1943 and 1944 during WW2. He never talked much about his service. Thanks again for the photo and your service.

Thanks so much for sharing the photo. What a great setup you have. I bet you can't get the smile off your face. Did my time, got out, forgot about everything raising a family. They are all grown and have their own family and I got interested again in military firearms after purchasing a 1911. An M14 with a scope and bipod will be perfect for me. I can't find anything right now so I will need to wait. My dad carried a BAR in 1943 and 1944 during WW2. He never talked much about his service. Thanks again for the photo and your service.
Thanks for the nice comments. Went to the range today to set everything up. Yes, smiling ear to ear. Thanks to you and your Dad for your service. Semper Fi. Joe

Back