testtest

Discussion about AR triggers.

Bassbob

Emissary
Let me preface this by saying that I am not and have never been overly picky about triggers. My gen1 and gen 2 Shields still have the stock triggers and I am not even tempted to put an Apex in either of them. In fact until very recently every gun I own has the stock trigger in it. I bought an HK from @SimonRL that already had a GG conversion in it ( which would have been my first order of business if I had bought one brand new frankly because HK triggers other than the VP9 are terrible).

Not too long ago I put a James Madison Tactical Sabre in my 16" .223 Wylde I built. Just on a whim really. I have enhanced mil spec triggers in all my ARs and I like them ok, but I wanted to try one of these and there is a significant difference. This morning I bought a JMT Black Ops #3.5 straight single stage trigger to drop in an AR pistol.

I know most of you guys have some nice triggers in your ARs and I am guessing a lot of them are Geissele triggers since they are THE name in AR triggers. So seeing how I know the difference between a mil spec 6-7 lb trigger and the JMT, which is around 4.5lb and smooth as glass, I was curious what the difference between my JMT and a nice Geissele would be ? In other words, is the juice worth the squeeze as @HansGruber would say?

There's lots of very good aftermarket AR triggers out there.

I've only used one "drop-in" trigger and that's a Wilson unit. It's fine but spendy & one a varmint AR.

Geissele (if you have the coin) is highly thought of, but others are excellent/very good also. I haven't used a Geissele nor a JMT since other brands triggers have met my needs.

Others like LaRue (4.5 lbs.) are very nice & Larue has reduced the prices on theirs based on mass-production (basic economics 101), so their very reasonable price doesn't mean that their trigger is an average one. I have LaRues' on the majority of my working ARs, and my competition ARs.

BTW, I prefer a two-stage trigger, but good single-stages are very nice.

My .02

Let me preface this by saying that I am not and have never been overly picky about triggers. My gen1 and gen 2 Shields still have the stock triggers and I am not even tempted to put an Apex in either of them. In fact until very recently every gun I own has the stock trigger in it. I bought an HK from @SimonRL that already had a GG conversion in it ( which would have been my first order of business if I had bought one brand new frankly because HK triggers other than the VP9 are terrible).

Not too long ago I put a James Madison Tactical Sabre in my 16" .223 Wylde I built. Just on a whim really. I have enhanced mil spec triggers in all my ARs and I like them ok, but I wanted to try one of these and there is a significant difference. This morning I bought a JMT Black Ops #3.5 straight single stage trigger to drop in an AR pistol.

I know most of you guys have some nice triggers in your ARs and I am guessing a lot of them are Geissele triggers since they are THE name in AR triggers. So seeing how I know the difference between a mil spec 6-7 lb trigger and the JMT, which is around 4.5lb and smooth as glass, I was curious what the difference between my JMT and a nice Geissele would be ? In other words, is the juice worth the squeeze as @HansGruber would say?

Most of my aftermarket AR triggers are JP…often just replacing springs.

My PSA .308 came with an aftermarket drop-in…forget the brand/model, but it’s pretty nice.

My buddy built a precision AR using a roller trigger…that is one of the sweetest triggers I’ve felt, but…I don’t think I’d want it on a “general purpose” rifle.

Can't say, haven't taken the squeeze for the juice.

All I can say is my Ruger had the 2 stage Ruger elite trigger in it (4.5#) which I shot just fine. My SA victor .308 had a single stage trigger (about 6.5#) which I did not shoot well. So I put a ruger elite trigger in my Victor (cheap, less than $90) and all was good. To me I think it's more important to find which trigger style and pull weight you shoot well and install that across your rifles so you always have the same feel.

I'm sure the Geissele is probably leaps and bounds over my triggers but I'm happy having much less squeeze. I'm guessing, as opposed to nice calm benchrest shooting where you may feel a difference, that in the field when the action is flying in your face with the stress and adrenaline flowing you would never know the difference.

There's lots of very good aftermarket AR triggers out there.

I've only used one "drop-in" trigger and that's a Wilson unit. It's fine but spendy & one a varmint AR.

Geissele (if you have the coin) is highly thought of, but others are excellent/very good also. I haven't used a Geissele nor a JMT since other brands triggers have met my needs.

Others like LaRue (4.5 lbs.) are very nice & Larue has reduced the prices on theirs based on mass-production (basic economics 101), so their very reasonable price doesn't mean that their trigger is an average one. I have LaRues' on the majority of my working ARs, and my competition ARs.

BTW, I prefer a two-stage trigger, but good single-stages are very nice.

My .02
I have never tried a 2 stage trigger, but in the future I could see me putting one in the .223 Wylde and switching the JMT that's in it now over to a different AR. Reason being that the .223 W is set up for distance shooting and not a "Fighting" rifle.

Most of my aftermarket AR triggers are JP…often just replacing springs.

My PSA .308 came with an aftermarket drop-in…forget the brand/model, but it’s pretty nice.

My buddy built a precision AR using a roller trigger…that is one of the sweetest triggers I’ve felt, but…I don’t think I’d want it on a “general purpose” rifle.
Never heard of JP until now. They look pretty nice. Definitely not cheap.

Most of the drop in one piece triggers are going to feel great and have a very small reset. The Geissele triggers aren't going to feel a whole lot better than a decent drop in but where it excels is in it's reliability being a basic mil-spec style trigger so there's way less chance anything will go wrong with it. A lot of drop in triggers have small springs and screws which could pose a much larger chance for failure. I've had a drop in trigger fail to reset after getting lightly dirty from shooting suppressed subsonic ammo in one range session. Since then I'm a firm believer in using mil-spec style triggers like the Geissele in any AR that you will trust with your life.

Even the mil-spec style PSA EPT trigger is a great upgrade for an AR by having a much smoother feel throughout the full range of the trigger pull compared to a basic mil-spec trigger.

The only geissele I have is a sse and it's ok. I wouldn't say they're the cat's meow or cream of the crop, but it works fine. If you want a ridiculously great trigger, get a trigger tech diamond. Unbelievable technology in a trigger! I also don't have or use any 2-stage. DO NOT USE ANY UNDER/LOWER POWER HAMMER SPRINGS! With milspec ammo it might not ignite the primer. Also don't use light weight hammers. Every trigger I'm listing has been a never fail to ignite a primer mil or not. Elfman, cmc, velocity, jp, lantac, aero precision and pof. Rise armament is the only 1 I've had trouble with. I bought a timney, but haven't installed it yet. I like my cmc, but elfman has been undeniably great! POF is 2nd to last I would buy another of. I've managed to but almost all on sale, so I'd not payed over $150 for any of them. The lightest weight pull is 3.5# and up to 4.5# on 1 piece group. The 2 binary triggers I have, haven't been used yet. I've installed them on ar 10 and 15 lowers for testing on all cartridges for those platforms. If you want a good trigger that wouldn't break the bank it's hard to beat cmc ( even on 2-stage)! I have traditional curved, flat and hybrids. Velocity is the only 1 with a trigger shoe you can change (well the only 1 I have). I have no experience, so take it as you want.

Most of the drop in one piece triggers are going to feel great and have a very small reset. The Geissele triggers aren't going to feel a whole lot better than a decent drop in but where it excels is in it's reliability being a basic mil-spec style trigger so there's way less chance anything will go wrong with it. A lot of drop in triggers have small springs and screws which could pose a much larger chance for failure. I've had a drop in trigger fail to reset after getting lightly dirty from shooting suppressed subsonic ammo in one range session. Since then I'm a firm believer in using mil-spec style triggers like the Geissele in any AR that you will trust with your life.

Even the mil-spec style PSA EPT trigger is a great upgrade for an AR by having a much smoother feel throughout the full range of the trigger pull compared to a basic mil-spec trigger.
I spent a few hours today messing with triggers and the difference between the cheap KAK trigger in the kit I bought for the one I just built for my wife's girlfriend and the enhanced mil spec triggers I buy for my own is significant. So significant that I felt bad, took the cheap trigger out of her pistol and installed an enhanced mll spec trigger.

I spent a few hours today messing with triggers and the difference between the cheap KAK trigger in the kit I bought for the one I just built for my wife's girlfriend and the enhanced mil spec triggers I buy for my own is significant. So significant that I felt bad, took the cheap trigger out of her pistol and installed an enhanced mll spec trigger.
Don't want the ladies thinking you do shoddy work! Way to keep'em happy. 😉

Extraordinary timing Bob, I'm waffling over what to put in mine right now. Leaning toward 2-stage...either a 3#-2# or a 2#-2#...I don't use mine for anything defensive or battle-related...

I recently pulled a 2-2 CMC in a display model at an LGS recently, and I had no idea how bad my OEM mil-spec was...even though my trigger gauge shows it at 4.5-5.5lbs...

Extraordinary timing Bob, I'm waffling over what to put in mine right now. Leaning toward 2-stage...either a 3#-2# or a 2#-2#...I don't use mine for anything defensive or battle-related...

I recently pulled a 2-2 CMC in a display model at an LGS recently, and I had no idea how bad my OEM mil-spec was...even though my trigger gauge shows it at 4.5-5.5lbs...
The regular mil spec trigger I just pulled out of Monique's pistol was around 8lb or so. The enhanced triggers I have are all between 5-6.5 Lb and much smoother, less slop and shorter reset. The JMT trigger in my .223 Wylde is 3.5 lbs.

Well now that I went and bought another one I guess I better build another range gun to put it in. lol

I have some nice $$ triggers in 3 AR’s.

Found end of the day swapping between rifles from Bullpups, AR15 & AR 10’s, I didn't even think about the trigger. Just focused on the shot. Honestly say I cant recall how smooth or better my $$ ones are over my orig equipment rifles

Back