All the conventional wisdom is that if your car breaks down you stay with the car.
I seem to remember hearing stories both from NTC and 29 Palms in which a soldier or a Marine got separated from the Convoy and wandered into the desert and died.
I just remember a family in the High Sierras in California they took Wrong Turn and ended up on a dead end Road out in the middle of nowhere buried in the snow and if I remember right at least dad had to leave the car to go find help.
When I was cleaning carpets I think it was shortly after the blizzard of '97. I did I don't remember if it was a move out or the house was going on the market.
When I arrived the person who was signing for the work told me that the previous owners of the house had been caught in a snowdrift on the road that I had driven in on. According to the person who met me they froze it out in that car less than a half a mile from their home.
Sometimes you are better off moving.
Hence the reason for the 100 hour candle and the space blankets. A candle in a coffee can makes a fair heater. Won’t run you out but ya won’t freeze. Years ago a friend (firefighter) was stuck in a blizzard on a closed interstate for almost 20 hours. Candle in a coffee can was his heat, was bringing in a steak for dinner. That was cut with a knife and cooked piece by piece over the candle. A cup was used to melt snow. Then heated and hot cocoa mix was stirred in. He stayed in the car most of the time (occasionally exiting to clear the tailpipe and run the engine for a few minutes.). Being prepared was the difference between being miserable and at risk and being moderately comfortable in a record winter storm.