testtest

DLC Coating

Can anyone explain what is a DLC coating on firearms. The Cobra I just got has a black DCL coating on the cylinder, not dumb here, but I don’t remember reading anything on this type of coating.
Here is one quote from a reputable 1911 smith....
The DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) finish is a PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) type finish that is extremely tough and very durable.
Here is a quote from John Harrison’s website describing the DLC finish way better than I could myself:
DLC “is a hard black finish that is fairly new to the firearms market. It is a is a physical vapor deposition coating that has a 3-6 micron build up per surface (that's less than .005"). DLC can be applied to carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, over polished surfaces as well as matte surfaces. When bone-dry it is a dark charcoal color. With a little oil on it, it's black. It's hardness runs 70+ on the Rockwell "C" scale. I think it's the best all around option for a black firearmsfinish. It appears to be the equal to hard chrome in the durability and rust resistance departments.”

DLC (Diamond Like Carbon) is an amazing finish that is applied by PVD (Physical Vapor Disposition). There are a lot of different PVD coatings out there. Titanium Nitride (TiN) and DLC are the two most common PVD gun coatings. They are applied at a few microns thick and are extremely durable as well as aid in lubricity. It is a very good coating. IonBond is another one that you may hear or see that is like DLC and is tough.

The new coating for all Cyberdyne Systems model 101's
1588884198311.gif

Can anyone explain what is a DLC coating on firearms. The Cobra I just got has a black DCL coating on the cylinder, not dumb here, but I don’t remember reading anything on this type of coating.
Interesting ,last week my friend sent me a link to this https://www.armorlubecoating.com -Never heard of it, hes getting a price on what he wants done , Looks like some cool stuff , Now i going to research some ,

Was at my gun shop today looking at the Colt Cobra Nightguard revolver, double action only, stainless with the DLC coating over the entire gun, not just the cylinder like on my Cobra TT model, looked kinda nice.

Back