testtest

Do .22 LR Pistols Make Sense for Self-Defense?

Any gun is better than no gun, and the 22 is a valid self-defense option for some shooters. My wife is very recoil sensitive and cannot shoot a 9mm accurately. I purchased a Taurus TX22 for her to practice with, and she actually shoots it very well. The TX22 holds 16 + 1 rounds and has been 100% reliable with all of the different types of ammo we have run through it. Until she get over her recoil sensitivity, the TX22 is her home defense gun when I am not home.
While 22 LR would not be my first choice, 17 CCI JHP rounds should be sufficient to deter a threat. Reliability can be a concern with rimfire ammo, so make sure to use high quality ammo that you know your particular gun shoots reliably. 22 LR is a valid choice for self-defense, but it shouldn't be your first choice if a larger caliber is an option.

Any gun is better than no gun, and the 22 is a valid self-defense option for some shooters. My wife is very recoil sensitive and cannot shoot a 9mm accurately. I purchased a Taurus TX22 for her to practice with, and she actually shoots it very well. The TX22 holds 16 + 1 rounds and has been 100% reliable with all of the different types of ammo we have run through it. Until she get over her recoil sensitivity, the TX22 is her home defense gun when I am not home.
While 22 LR would not be my first choice, 17 CCI JHP rounds should be sufficient to deter a threat. Reliability can be a concern with rimfire ammo, so make sure to use high quality ammo that you know your particular gun shoots reliably. 22 LR is a valid choice for self-defense, but it shouldn't be your first choice if a larger caliber is an option.

A friend has a TX22 and his experience is the same.

My daily carry was a Ruger SR22 for several years. Only handgun I owned then. Shooting the SR with CCI Stinger ammunition will suffice as a self defence weapon. As almost always, bigger is better, but don't believe the 22 can't do the job. Practice makes perfect.

I carried a S&W 43C all day today as my primary. Fit nicely in my front pocket in a Sticky holster; had a speed strip in the watch pocket.

I will say that in a .22LR pistol—a short barreled one at that—I won’t use hollow points...solids only. I doubt a hollow poin’t will expand at pistol barrel velocities...and if it does, I strongly suspect it will have little penetration.

My preferred load is the Aguila 40gr Interceptor. Not only will they reliably punch over 12”, even out of my 1-7/8” barrel, but they also show exceptional accuracy.

Well, there's a country that is currently using 22s to discourage protestors, and it seems to work.

Quite mind boggling if you ask me. You can see how effective it can be at removing numbers. However, the lethality of the round does pose other problems.
Does it help if an attacker is only wounded? Regardless of severity, it seems open up a pandoras box of liability.

Well, there's a country that is currently using 22s to discourage protestors, and it seems to work.

Quite mind boggling if you ask me. You can see how effective it can be at removing numbers. However, the lethality of the round does pose other problems.
Does it help if an attacker is only wounded? Regardless of severity, it seems open up a pandoras box of liability.

I don't think the Israelis are worried about liability, but domestically if you use a firearm wisely, regardless of wound severity you should be legally defending oneself.

However, your state laws may further define when lethal force is justified. Please check your state laws.

I don't think the Israelis are worried about liability, but domestically if you use a firearm wisely, regardless of wound severity you should be legally defending oneself.

However, your state laws may further define when lethal force is justified. Please check your state laws.
Could not have said it better. Thank you for keeping the comments on topic. Regardless of the situation, sélection and implementation need to be well thought out. Remember you .ay have to live with the conséquences.

Last edited:
If a .22lr is all you have, then by all means carry it. I have no qualms about carrying a pocket revolver in .22mag, which I carry quite often, but that caliber is where I, personally, draw the line.

The argument that a .22lr is an inferior defensive tool because it may take several shots to disable an assailant, is not necessarily a valid argument. In my opinion, several well placed shots from a low recoil .22 would be just as effective as several poorly placed shots from a higher recoil cartridge. The bottom line in all of this is to be proficient with whatever you are carrying.

Back