testtest

Do you break in your new rifle ?

I always clean my rifle before I shoot it same with a hand gun . I do tuna little lite oil down the barrel
Yes, you should break in a new barrel on a rifle, when I shot benchrest, there was a procedure to do, but on a hunting rifle I never went that far, also you should never shoot any barrel, rifle or handgun with any oil in it, always run a dry patch down before you shoot them, if not, there is a good chance you can bulge the barrel cause the oil can’t escape fast enough out the bore, resulting in a possible bulge

but, but, but a lubed barrel just gets more fps🥳. depends on what the inspection reveals. do i shoot 10 clean, 10 more and repeat.........no..........should i.................i keep doing what works for me. with these new custom barrels i have i'll do it for warrantee purposes per their website.

Glock, Taurus, Springfield, Rugers.... I just run a patch down the barrel and then put about 500 rounds through before cleaning. Smith I disassemble, clean, put about 20-30 rounds through it before having to send it back to Smith & Wesson for repairs.

Rifles, Semi Auto, I break down, clean and lube before shooting. Lever guns I wipe down, add a small amount of lube and shoot.

My only bolt gun is a Mosin Nagant. I drink a bunch of vodka, add a little motor oil to the bolt and call my doctor and set up an exam for my shoulder for afterward. Then I bring a 2x4 to help with the movement of the bolt and shoot until I drive off everyone else at the range or my shoulder gives out. Then I use a spray bottle of ammonia to soak everything down, go home and drink more vodka and google what borscht is.
Mosin3.JPG

Mosin2.jpg

Yes, you should break in a new barrel on a rifle, when I shot benchrest, there was a procedure to do, but on a hunting rifle I never went that far, also you should never shoot any barrel, rifle or handgun with any oil in it, always run a dry patch down before you shoot them, if not, there is a good chance you can bulge the barrel cause the oil can’t escape fast enough out the bore, resulting in a possible bulge
I always runs lite oil thru the barrel then take couple dry patches after

I know guys who fire 1 shot, then clean and wait X number of minutes for cooling....then shot 2....clean, wait minutes...my god that is not for me....especially since my range charges by the hour, and I couldn't give a schnitz.

I know guys who fire 1 shot, then clean and wait X number of minutes for cooling....then shot 2....clean, wait minutes...my god that is not for me....especially since my range charges by the hour, and I couldn't give a schnitz.
Lots of long range guys do similarly. No doubt the heating up of the barrel affects POI. Most people however do not clean between shots. In fact most people seem to want a few rounds through it before they consider it "Ready to shoot". Competition guys don't get on the line with a freshly cleaned bore.

Lots of long range guys do similarly. No doubt the heating up of the barrel affects POI. Most people however do not clean between shots. In fact most people seem to want a few rounds through it before they consider it "Ready to shoot". Competition guys don't get on the line with a freshly cleaned bore.
Ah, when you shoot benchrest, the bores are cleaned just before you go to the line, you clean it after your string, and do it while you wait for your turn again, and yes, even today if you compete in that sport, you should break in the barrel, even with today’s technology on barrels, it’s a pain, but it does help in the long run, I never did a break in on hunting rifles or any AR’s I had in the past.

I'm pretty sure barrel break-in does nothing. It seems like one of those things left over from before modern metallurgy and cnc machining.
FYI, most new S&W revolvers now have CNC rifling, and there not as accurate as the older lands and grooves barrels, so keep your older S&W’s guys…..

Back