testtest

Do you carry while camping?

djthumper

Custom
Founding Member
I know most of us would carry our EDC with us camping. Do you carry anything else while out camping. I know I bring my XD with me.

I like a 22 revolver for unexpected issues with something intent on doing harm. It really kind of depends on where I am camping.

I camp where there are a lot of black bears and occasional Mexican Grey Wolf and mountain lions so I always bring at the minimum my XDM .45 in 4.5". It will do what I need it to do while hiking or for any unwanted aggressive trespassers in the camp.

I would carry if I ever went camping.... I do carry my Kershaw knife as well. Pepper spray is nice, but usually not part of my EDC (every day carry). A first aid kit is always in the back of my car, and I have a tourniquet in my ammo box.

I always carry everywhere except bed and then it is close by. An EMP 4 is my constant companion. Our house is in the middle of 80 acres of woods and I have several miles of UTV trails that we ride/walk on and I never leave home without it. In town, on the road, or on the trails you just don't know any more. I'm 76 and I can't roll around and get dusty and bloody any more if trouble rears it's ugly head and my EMP is my life insurance.

We float/kayak for a week at a time. The Xd/s 45 gets stuck in a wet messenger bag and suffers overturns, dirty water, sandy conditions and has done so for years now. Still looks good, shoots good and works all the time. It is the ultimate kit gun as far as I'm concerned.
I have never had to count on it over the years but it would feed us and protect us from most anything we have ever encountered. Black bear with cubs one year. Fortunately uneventful.

I have one plastic gun, a Glock 23 in S&W 40, that is my rough and tumble gun. I have a Chest rig from a company in Alaska to carry it in. But at 76 I don't rough and tumble much anymore and being an old guy my heart lies with the 1911's. That single action trigger is so sweet.

Last edited:
I always carry when camping. Tend to be in some semi-remote areas with black bears and coyotes. 9mm but size of gun will vary. A good fixed blade in addition to my EDC folder. Keep med kit at camp or on trail. Also compass and lighter.

I always have my EDC (XDE-45 & 3 mags) with me, unless I have to go on the submarine base near where I live, there's been a rumor that the Navy is going to put weapons lockers near the entry gates so that you can lock your weapon up before driving through the gate and then pick it up on your way off base. When I go camping I always have at a minimum my edc and my 12 ga, in todays world one can't be too careful anymore, it's sad that we even have to think about carrying a weapon when we're out having fun, sometimes I also bring my HK with six 10 rnd mags. If I have to evacuate because of an approaching hurricane all of my weapons and ammo are with me when I leave the house.

Why would camping be any different then everyday. My Kahr CW45 is always with me along with, pepper spray, pocket knife, and LED flash light, and two extra magazines for the Kahr and at least one for the 9. Only difference is camping I will also carry bear spray. Backup in belly band if it's not too hot or ankle holster this would be a 9mm. Did I say that this add about 5 -10 extra pounds to my pants. Always been prepared, I hope, for the unexpected.

I've only cc for couple of years and took my XDS with me last year for the first time. Area has bears, cougars, and rattlers, plus never know these days about two legged wolves. Son-in-law is a deputy sheriff and is a comfort knowing that he can carry just about anywhere. Problem I have is trying to cc, I don't have a bum and XDS 9mm pulls my pants down, haven't found a belt that works well. Now that coats a wearable can use a shoulder harness, have one but haven't tried it yet.

Good points, I usually have a 12ga somewhere close, sometimes just over my shoulder. But I’m in Alaska and we have bears to worry about. I’m saving for a Blackhawk in .44 mag to probably replace the shotgun though.

I carry all the time, and my camping carry weapon depends on the camping situation. When backpacking in wild country I carry my S&W 329PD 44 magnum with two different cartridge loadings in my cylinder for different anticipated situations. When backpacking on the Appalachian Trail I carry my S&W 351PD 22 magnum in a inconspicuous chest rig, and yes I carry even when passing through those evil communist states. When truck camping, I pack a Glock 20 10mm pistol and keep my CMMG Banshee 10mm pistol close by. Never pack mace anymore, but I always have some type of pocket knife or sheath knife on my person. And I always carry a S&W Shield 9mm with green laser in church.

N
I've only cc for couple of years and took my XDS with me last year for the first time. Area has bears, cougars, and rattlers, plus never know these days about two legged wolves. Son-in-law is a deputy sheriff and is a comfort knowing that he can carry just about anywhere. Problem I have is trying to cc, I don't have a bum and XDS 9mm pulls my pants down, haven't found a belt that works well. Now that coats a wearable can use a shoulder harness, have one but haven't tried it yet.
Need to try the Bigfoot belt they are great I can carry a Glock 20 10mm and 2-15 Rnd mags + knife and they hold up without sagging. They have a stainless steel band sandwiched between the leather.

Back