testtest

do you keep an inventory count of your ammo?

Old_Me

Ronin
yeah, any ammo, pistol, rifle? , Claymore's, RPG's, nukes..????.......:eek:

do you jot it down on a pad, (or device) then add/subtract as you use it, or add to it?

do you jot down your reloaded inventory as well as factory ammo?

do you go thru your inventory to make sure all the numbers add up?

or do you just put it all away, and say screw it.

i use a simple legal yellow pad, of new, reloaded ammo

the only reasoning why i do this, is for a quick look at the pad, and see whether or not to go and buy some new, or reload some, for on hand stocking.

then maybe 2 times a year, i do a full inventory, as sometimes, i take out a box, never use it, put it back, and yeah, forget that i did that.

just wonder what some of you do, or not do.

and right now, my supply of Claymore's is low.... :LOL:

thanks in advance.

I go a little further... I keep a log of all weapons I have, over 50, all ammo... where the guns are hidden throughout the house or family members' homes, (some in secret unknown areas, hidden places). How much I really paid for them, NOT what I told my wife I paid... and a list of family and friends who gets what when I die... it's in my will papers that no one will look at till death. Locked in safe on paper, no digital print... think I'm being paranoid? Wife does, lol.

;)

I go a little further... I keep a log of all weapons I have, over 50, all ammo... where the guns are hidden throughout the house or family members' homes, (some in secret unknown areas, hidden places). How much I really paid for them, NOT what I told my wife I paid... and a list of family and friends who gets what when I die... it's in my will papers that no one will look at till death. Locked in safe on paper, no digital print... think I'm being paranoid? Wife does, lol.

;)
that reminds me of guy #1 that hid some firearms at a friends house guy #2, and guy#2 had no idea they were in his attic in boxes.

Yep. I unbox all ammo and store in metal ammo can with desiccate inside each ammo can. Color coded tags on outside. Inventory log in desk. I rotate the older stuff to the top.
I have a metal cabinet that I sealed up as best as possible, with a golden rod on a timer.
hhmm....

i keep my ammo in thier original boxes, or the reloading boxes, then in a cabinet, with large desiccant bags. this way, i limit the amount of ammo for the range visits. i am still into the Covid price gouging and as such, am very meager with my ammo.

if i had an ammo can fully loaded, i'd not want to leave the range, even if they shut off the lights.

what is a "golden rod"....

when i google that, all i get is golden rod flowers..????

;)
i too have a logbook, of all my guns, as i keep track of ammo shot, new or reloaded, cleaning and lubing.

as well as prices, date of build, where bought

I try to.
These days the kids raid the ammo cabinet rather the liquor cabinet.

More often I wind up using more than I account for, so having a “ledger” for each brand, caliber weight, etc just to keep track what I have on hand.
Occasionally I’ll do a full inventory just on stuff I use(d) the most (9mm) because I grabbed extra and didn’t write it down, or buy more of what I didn’t need because at the time it was real cheap.

The inventory routine comes as a way to know what’s running low, what can be put off, such being having plenty of 9/45 always on hand I can wait for .38/357 and 223 varieties to pop up On Sale or in smaller quantities.

I even tried to keep a rough inventory (and Shopping List) in the Notes App on my cellphone to have an idea what to grab if I see a deal somewhere when passing thru a small town LGS.
Also I try to keep an average cost per round/box when store shopping vs. the online.

Same applied to magazines.

I’m a rough counter, but there’s only certain calibers I stack deeply as it is for the guns I plan to use for shtf situation. Other then that I usually keep anywhere between 60 and 100 rounds for the others. Which are mainly hunting rifles that don’t get used anymore since switching to muzzle loader. But I still sight them in every year and have rounds on hand, never know when I might pull one out randomly for coyotes or other types of shooting.

I look at the shelf to see what the wife and I can shoot.

Attachments

• ammo.jpg
    ammo.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
I try to. I keep all of my ammo in ammo cans with dessicants. The self defense stays in original packaging, FMJ gets store in those plastic ammo containers. Each ammo can is labeled with ammo type (FMJ/JHP/MHP), and caliber. I periodically take a count, usually after I have been to the range. Don't shoot the self defense ammo that often, since the supply chain issues and price. I will put it through my guns just to make sure it will feed and fire, otherwise mainly FMJ.

hhmm....

i keep my ammo in thier original boxes, or the reloading boxes, then in a cabinet, with large desiccant bags. this way, i limit the amount of ammo for the range visits. i am still into the Covid price gouging and as such, am very meager with my ammo.

if i had an ammo can fully loaded, i'd not want to leave the range, even if they shut off the lights.

what is a "golden rod"....

when i google that, all i get is golden rod flowers..????

i too have a logbook, of all my guns, as i keep track of ammo shot, new or reloaded, cleaning and lubing.

as well as prices, date of build, where bought
Something like this.

No.

I mean, I know I’ve got .50 cans with various calibers, and I can kinda guess how many are in each, but…exact count? Nope.
I am like Hans. I have a minimum amount of any given caliber ( which I am not comfortable talking about) and I know when I get close to going under it's time to buy more.

I could make a pretty close approximate guess. Except shotgun shells. My closest guess is two of those 2 foot by 18" by 12" giant ammo cans full.

Back