testtest

Do you remember who introduced you to firearms?

I don't recall being introduced to firearms any more than I recall being introduced to my mom & dad and food and furniture and hot & cold. I do recall a double barreled shotgun over the fireplace, and there seems to always be a rifle in the gun rack in my dad's truck. I can't recall the first time I was taken along to hunt rabbits and listen to the beagles run, but I do recall going very young. Around six years old I'd taken several squirrels with my dad's .22LR rifle.

Growing up in the rural south guns weren't a focus thing or a culture, they just were.

True Story...

I was in foster care for most of my childhood, at 14 I went into a foster home where the "dad" was a sheriff deputy. For my 16th birthday I got 3 things... He adopted me even though I only had 2 more years in foster, he's now my dad and I followed his footsteps. He later took me to see my first R rated movie, "Stripes", lol... but before that he took me to the range and let me shoot his revolver. It was great, then he said "OK, these are the rounds we use", I shot it and saw a big ball of fire... was hooked. At 18 joined the Army for 10 years, to shoot guns, became a police officer for 20 years, to shoot guns, and now recently retired... and shoot guns, a lot of them. lol

Memories.
That was totally an awesome story and thank you for your service. (y)

Dad here also. I got excellent rifle training starting at age 10, even though I was born several years after WW2. At age 14 or 15, he "graduated" me to pistols. Dad was an Army Marksmanship Instructor before shipping out to join the fray in Europe when the war broke out. Mom was also a WW2 vet as an Army Air Corps Flight Nurse who served on MEDEVAC and MASH units. She received only minimal training on the 1911's during Basic Training and never wanted to shoot again after the war, but encouraged me to become a safe and proficient marksman. I still strive to do just that, in their memories, at each training and range practice.

True Story...

I was in foster care for most of my childhood, at 14 I went into a foster home where the "dad" was a sheriff deputy. For my 16th birthday I got 3 things... He adopted me even though I only had 2 more years in foster, he's now my dad and I followed his footsteps. He later took me to see my first R rated movie, "Stripes", lol... but before that he took me to the range and let me shoot his revolver. It was great, then he said "OK, these are the rounds we use", I shot it and saw a big ball of fire... was hooked. At 18 joined the Army for 10 years, to shoot guns, became a police officer for 20 years, to shoot guns, and now recently retired... and shoot guns, a lot of them. lol

Memories.
Great story sir. I'm white and was adopted and raised by a Mexican-American family(which was highly unusual in the late 1950's). I found my bio mom in 1990 and was so glad that she gave me to a good family.
Being adopted was the best thing that ever happened to me. Spanish is my first language and I still get funny looks when I speak it...:)

One of my favorite memories of my mom(she passed away last year at 93 years old, RIP) was having coffee with her on a kitchen table and speaking in Spanish about different subjects. A good mom has no color or race, she's just a mom, one of God's greatest blessings...:)

In the family I was raised I never had a day where I didn't feel loved. It was the little things they did every day to make me feel part of the family that stood out.

I moved back to where I grew up almost 2 years ago after I retired. I got to spend time with my mom who raised me before she passed. My sisters and brother know I'm here if they need me. I helped fix a small problem with one of my sister's cars yesterday and the smile on her face was priceless.

One of my uncles(an Army vet) introduced me to firearms when I was 8 or 9. He taught me firearm safety and I got to shoot a 22 revolver and a 22 rifle. By the time I was in my teens I was shooting 357 magnum revolvers and 308 bolt action rifles.

The first time I fired an M-16A1 in the Marine Corps in 1976 it really felt like a toy compared to what I had been shooting. Qualifying as Expert wasn't that difficult for me thanks to that Army uncle and others teaching me how to hold a handgun and rifle properly and how to breathe correctly...:)

Nowadays I get asked my opinions about firearms by many of my relatives....:) I also teach some of my cousins martial arts and that's kind of fun also...:)

My German father bought me my first marlin 22 at 12 years old and took me shooting about 10 times. it was the best. then my Karate instuctor took me to a real range and let me shot a 357 and a Glock 9 mil. I asked him where I could get my own and he pointed me to a local store that had a ruger p89 299.99 in my price range and the rest is history. I started under him as a 10 year old in 1979. 43 years later we still together and I run all my gun purchases past him. He is like a older brother who give excellent advice.

I had a Big Brother through the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program when I was 11is.
He has a single shot 20 gauge. We shot some tin cans and such. Later that summer, we went out with a freind of his that had a 12 gauge pump and did some skeet shooting. Never got over that

Didn't get my first gun until my late 30s. But I am almost 50 now and hooked

Back