testtest

Do you wear scruff marks as a badge of honor on your AR or cover them up?

TacticalPirate

Master Class
Wear and tear is inevitable with a used gun, even safe queens get knocked around a little bit, so do you wear the chips and scruffs in the finish or your AR platform as battle scar pride or do you doctor them up as blemishes?

I'm of two minds about it, I used to try and buff out marks and use an AR black marker from academy to conceal a scratch, but then my buddy dropped a rifle and scratched the Troy free floating hand guard on my best AR and I gave up, decided it was part of the price of use.

The OCD side of me is hard to quiet down sometimes when it comes to marks on guns, but I've learned to convince myself they can be perceived as character points.

I absolutely love the look of a well worn firearm. If it's a safe queen to pass it to your great, great grandkids, then leave it in the safe. If it's a tool that is worn from practice and hard use, then take pride in the scuffs and scratches because it shows that it's being used as intended, and that you just might know how to use it.

Things of beauty...

Attachments

• 2wmq2yq.jpg
    2wmq2yq.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 3d2fd70bd78521fb8bfe0d27e49aebbe.jpg
    3d2fd70bd78521fb8bfe0d27e49aebbe.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 290
  • m203-and-carbine-idf.jpg
    m203-and-carbine-idf.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
I try not to let my guns get banged up, but when it happens I mostly let it go. If a barrel or frame has a deep scrape that exposes bare metal I will reblue the area to prevent rust. Otherwise.....I have notches cut into the for grip of my Marlin 30-30, left side are Does and right is Bucks that I have taken with that gun. My Grandson asked about the notches and now he can't wait to inherit it and add his own notches to it. :cool:

I just leave them, but I rotate between them so much, there's not much marking on each one. My oldest AR is 8 years old, I've shot this one the most, and it still probably only has maybe 5k rounds through it. It also has desert dust in every nook and cranny of it, and I actually like the look that gives it so I leave it.

I support wear and tear. I'm scarred, worn and grey. I wouldn't be upset if my guns were. My old old Sig 226 has wear on all sharp edges. That's character right there. I guess I've fondled it too much over the years.
If I can put enough ammo through any of my saints to reach that level of use and practice, I'd be a happy ol man.
I'm rough on everything I own. My tools are used hard, my body's worn down, I consider vehicles with a quarter million miles to be "broke in" so I generally get my monies worth from everything.

Most of my firearms are in gun socks while stored because I like to keep them pristine as possible but I do have a few that wouldn't bother me too much if they got scratched though I still try to avoid it.

I've always keep everything I have in great condition from guns, tools, to cars & trucks.

My best friend visited a couple months ago. He's a former 3 tour army ranger. He said my guns all looked brand new. He said he got issued a rifle as clean as mine one deployment, and was the envy of everyone.
I suppose Jim would envy your buddy. 😁

Attachments

• jimseealan4.jpg
    jimseealan4.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 175
For me it’s a tough question...
Some ordinary “wear & tear” is to be expected; after all I didn’t buy them to not use....but...
I’m not destitute but by no means am I rolling in the green stuff either.

I guess on balance I don’t want mine with scruff marks, esp if it gets near to lookin’ like my babies are uncared for - even to the untrained eye. A little is okay.

Far as the ques goes I guess they’re like my car: mostly a “depreciating asset” over time. But just like my car, I don’t want ‘em dinged. Just might one day be unavailable classics.
I dunno...

I support wear and tear. I'm scarred, worn and grey. I wouldn't be upset if my guns were. My old old Sig 226 has wear on all sharp edges. That's character right there. I guess I've fondled it too much over the years.
If I can put enough ammo through any of my saints to reach that level of use and practice, I'd be a happy ol man.
I'm rough on everything I own. My tools are used hard, my body's worn down, I consider vehicles with a quarter million miles to be "broke in" so I generally get my monies worth from everything.
I can see that point of view... we ain’t taking it with us when leave our good old A/O !

Ordinary wear .. part of life
Scratches and deep pits .. get tender loving care to fix them.

worn out parts get fixed.. period
My Geissele recently dominoed into my Saint Edge Pistol which dominoed into my M&P VTAC II, two were scruffed, one scruffed the outer casing of my EOTech on the Geissele, I was not happy.

I think I can paint over the scruffs, but I do not like my weapons blemished.

Normal wear on my firearms is ok with me it means I’m enjoying my shooting experience. I’ve never dropped any of my guns to cause damage and when working on them “cleaning” I really take my time to not cause any scratches. I don’t even allow mags to hit the ground when practicing a tactical reload unless it’s onto grass. If it drops onto dirt or mudd it gets cleaned before any using again.
Now if I ever get into a defensive situation “life or death” then that would be a battle scar that I would be proud of.

Back