testtest

Does 40S&W Really Suck?

Simply an under powered 10mm Auto or a 10mm Short Auto if you will in my opinion. I was looking at the ballistics on the 40S&W and 9mm in Federal Premium's hydroshock load. The 9mm was 150fps faster than the .40 and both had the exact same amount of energy. The fact that the 9mm out performs the .40 in this load makes me a non believer in the capabilities of the .40 S&W. Would you rather shoot a .357 Magnum or a .38 Special? I'm a firm believer in the expression "Bring Enough Gun" I had a Browning High Power in .40 S&W years ago. Traded it for a Colt Delta Elite. Good move on my part if I do say so myself. I'm not saying the .40 S&W "sucks" I'm just not a fan and the cartridge doesn't impress me. I feel there is multiple auto loading pistol cartridges out there that are better. The only thing I like about the .40 S&W is they cycle in my Glock 20, and the ammo is a cheaper cost than 10mm Auto. Once again this is all just my opinion on the subject at hand. Shoot fun, Shoot safe and Shoot straight!

Last edited:
Interesting article on the .40S&W, good read here and some thought on this cartridge. I still like it and I still carry it.

Although a Very good article. I still give the .40 S&W a 👎

40 S&W is not my first choice, but it is absolutely a capable self-defense caliber. I rarely sell or trade guns, so I kept several of my .40 caliber pistols from my early days in law enforcement. They primarily sat in my safe as sentimental pieces until COVID came along.

In the early weeks of the pandemic, .40 S&W was still available at Bass Pro long after 9mm disappeared from shelves. Bass Pro even had it for sale on their website at non-inflated prices for a few months after everything else was long gone. I've shot more 40 S&W over the past two years than I did in the previous decade. It's still not my favorite range caliber, but shooting it does bring back fond memories.

Interesting article on the .40S&W, good read here and some thought on this cartridge. I still like it and I still carry it.

Until I can find and get a leather holster for my XDM Elite 10mm that I’m comfortable with and holds the gun close and conceals well as well as allows a good fit for the Holosun,
“I’m looking at two options”
I continue to carry my XD Mod2 Sub Compact 40SW I’ve practiced extensively with the 40 and very very comfortable with it. I feel that it’s a great round for a self defensive situation in the hands of a competent shooter.

I find it somewhat contradictory when writers/reviewers state the .40 S&W offers similar ballistic performance to 9mm and .45 ACP, but then imply that .40 S&W is no longer practical. The way I see it, any readily-available round that offers sufficient self-defense performance is inherently practical. It isn't the best for high-volume shooters, but it's a solid choice for many other shooters. A police surplus Glock 22 with 1,000 rounds through it will last quite awhile for a casual shooter who fires a few hundred rounds per year. Someone who wants an affordable handgun from a respected manufacturer for home defense could do a lot worse than a surplus .40 S&W M&P or Glock.

Until I can find and get a leather holster for my XDM Elite 10mm that I’m comfortable with and holds the gun close and conceals well as well as allows a good fit for the Holosun,
“I’m looking at two options”
I continue to carry my XD Mod2 Sub Compact 40SW I’ve practiced extensively with the 40 and very very comfortable with it. I feel that it’s a great round for a self defensive situation in the hands of a competent shooter.
Look at XDM .45acp holsters because the 10mm and .45acp pistols are the same exact size. Most holster manufacturers list their holsters as being compatible with the .45acp but don't make mention to the 10mm.

Back