testtest

does this happen all the time..???....anytime..???

Old_Me

Ronin
i was at the local mom/pop, gun/bait tackle store.

phone rings, manager answers. (this was just after 8AM by the way)

"official call" from the ATF (and the FBI)

no kidding.

apparently, a customer was denied on his 4473, only last week, lost his deposit, and his purchase was refunded via credit card.

manager told him, to go in person to the AG's office.

he does, and they say, nothing is wrong with him or his background, he is a legal resident in this country.

Here's what i missed.....did the AG's office call the ATF/FBI...???

i dunno, but the ATF/FBI was on the phone line, who was first, i dunno, manager got switched over.

apparently someone entered the wrong information on the customer.

they were clearing it up.

manager was given the agent's "Brady number" to go thru with the sale. (i never heard of a Brady number before)

does this happen, when someone in a federal office makes a correction, and makes things right..???

first time instance, in all the 20+ years the manager has been there......

my first time sitting in the back, hearing all this take place, and looking at the managers disbelieving looking face.

no need to do another 4473, the store just puts the agents Brady number on the denied form, is what the manager was told.

What's a Brady number? Never heard of that.
from what i gathered when i had asked the manager, it is a number, specific to an agent (ATF) that is his, and his alone (or hers) that ID's that agent.

not exactly like a badge number, but one that is used for documents.

that's really my best guess, after the manager was told to jot down his Brady number to the 4473 he (the agent) approved.

if not that explanation above, then maybe the Brady number is the approval number for a 4473 form..????

(like a serial number would be....specific to a particular object..???)

i dunno........

I can’t recall the movie but the 50’s noir Night of the Hunter comes to mind….

IMG_2811.gif

i was at the local mom/pop, gun/bait tackle store.

phone rings, manager answers. (this was just after 8AM by the way)

"official call" from the ATF (and the FBI)

no kidding.

apparently, a customer was denied on his 4473, only last week, lost his deposit, and his purchase was refunded via credit card.

manager told him, to go in person to the AG's office.

he does, and they say, nothing is wrong with him or his background, he is a legal resident in this country.

Here's what i missed.....did the AG's office call the ATF/FBI...???

i dunno, but the ATF/FBI was on the phone line, who was first, i dunno, manager got switched over.

apparently someone entered the wrong information on the customer.

they were clearing it up.

manager was given the agent's "Brady number" to go thru with the sale. (i never heard of a Brady number before)

does this happen, when someone in a federal office makes a correction, and makes things right..???

first time instance, in all the 20+ years the manager has been there......

my first time sitting in the back, hearing all this take place, and looking at the managers disbelieving looking face.

no need to do another 4473, the store just puts the agents Brady number on the denied form, is what the manager was told.
How much do you want to bet the purchaser is BIL or otherwise related to someone up the chain and that person told Agent So-and-So to get it sorted out.

Brady number is the ID number of the NICs agent, on the gunstore part of the 4473 you would use this when talking to nics say if you called in a background check instead of internet. This is from an old form number 19F.

Yes a store will interact with nics all the time, for a trace or follow up etc. for example I had Nics call to follow up about a customer, who apparently went to a dozen gunstores buying pistols one at a time. So there was no multiple pistol sale form filled out since none of the stores knew about other sales. Anytime they call they will give the ID. Also they will prove who they are by giving you the tranaction number for the background check. No one has that except for the store and nics.

I have actually had one instance where we got an immediate denied from a foreign born customer then 3 days later get a phone call rescinding the denial and give an approval. I had never heard about that before, and no other dealer I know has ever had that happen. But we also got the email saying the same thing. Your dealer would have gotten both the call, email and when they log into nics to look up the transaction it will say proceed.

A transaction number is different from the Brady ID. Brady ID is the nics agent employee ID. Think of the transaction ID as the ID number for that one background check only. So if you go to two different stores on the same day there will be two different transaction ids for your name. But remember that can also throw a red flag.

Anything else I can answer about the process?

IMG_0998.png

Last edited:
Just looked and I guess they dropped that section about the Brady ID on the current form. I guess they figure you do the background checks online only now…..except when the website is down.

IMG_0999.jpeg

Brady number is the ID number of the NICs agent, on the gunstore part of the 4473 you would use this when talking to nics say if you called in a background check instead of internet. This is from an old form number 19F.

Yes a store will interact with nics all the time, for a trace or follow up etc. for example I had Nics call to follow up about a customer, who apparently went to a dozen gunstores buying pistols one at a time. So there was no multiple pistol sale form filled out since none of the stores knew about other sales. Anytime they call they will give the ID. Also they will prove who they are by giving you the tranaction number for the background check. No one has that except for the store and nics.

I have actually had one instance where we got an immediate denied from a foreign born customer then 3 days later get a phone call rescinding the denial and give an approval. I had never heard about that before, and no other dealer I know has ever had that happen. But we also got the email saying the same thing. Your dealer would have gotten both the call, email and when they log into nics to look up the transaction it will say proceed.

A transaction number is different from the Brady ID. Brady ID is the nics agent employee ID. Think of the transaction ID as the ID number for that one background check only. So if you go to two different stores on the same day there will be two different transaction ids for your name. But remember that can also throw a red flag.

Anything else I can answer about the process?

View attachment 43457
thanks, that's what i said in #3 above, the Brady number is linked to the agent. i never even heard of that number myself, that is what the store manager had told me, what the agent told him.

Back