testtest

Does Your Doctor Want To Disarm You?

My point is that if you insist on giving the doctor a ration about your Second Amendment rights his most likely response (regardless of his opinion of the second amendment) is going to be to drop you.
I'm fairly easy to get along with, stay in their own lane and I'll stay in mine. I'll tolerate a fair amount of B.S. and always warn when that train is about to run out of track. Keep pushing till we are off the rails then it's game on. Ask stupid questions expect to get stupid answers.

I gotta go to a Urologist two days after Christmas, She's a young woman. not gonna lie. i'm nervous. ain't had a young female handle my junk for 40 years. but she's gotta be better than the last guy i seen a month ago, all he wanted to do is get me out the door to get someone else in there.

I gotta go to a Urologist two days after Christmas, She's a young woman. not gonna lie. i'm nervous. ain't had a young female handle my junk for 40 years. but she's gotta be better than the last guy i seen a month ago, all he wanted to do is get me out the door to get someone else in there.
when i was a driver, every 2 years i had to have the DOT physical..my company would send me to Concentra, not my own doctor.

every stinking time i'd go there, even for a little cut (as per company rules) there would be a different doctor.

well anyway, this DOT exam, there was a young doctor, long black hair, and i believe she was spanish....god awfully beautiful.....

god dam, i had all i could do to Master my domain when she did the..."turn left and cough" test.

i felt like Kramer, and wanted to put that $20 on the table and admit, i was NOT in Master of my domain....

but, i thought about my wife......and THAT made me Master my domain......

so i "feel" your pain......literally, and figuratively....

Last edited:
Good for you, Doc! I get my medical care from the VA and here in East Tennessee, I’ve never met an anti gun care provider and most of my Docs also carry “off campus.”

I didn’t become a high school educator until after I married one in 1988 and like you, one of my jobs prior to that was as a Cold War Infantry Officer. I did a stint as my Division’s Pistol Team XO. A spot I earned via Division and Installation wide competition. Later I joined IDPA when it first formed. I’ve now also been an instructor these last 35 years.

I taught AP American Government in one inner city high school in Miami Florida where there were a bunch of vets in the classroom. After the Columbine massacre we all got together and talked. We agreed NOT HERE, NOT ON OUR WATCH. Oddly enough, we were the “conservative pariahs” and banished to the exterior portable classrooms. That was fine. After Columbine, everyone started to keep either a 1911 .45 auto or a few had AR’s in their vehicles. We even put together a little operations order for action if we detected a shooter. I never felt safer in any school environment. Now, I’m retired but I still carry. Especially when I travel the Appalachian Mountains. Usually it’s a Springfield Armory 1911 TRP OPERATOR in 10mm.
I work in the Appalachian Mountains here in Kentucky. I feel safer around people there than I do around people in Louisville or Lexington. I do carry in both places, however.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Does Your Doctor Want To Disarm You?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/does-your-doctor-want-to-disarm-you/.

I am a retired family doctor after 40 years of practice in a semi-rural setting. I was somewhat perplexed by some of the points you made in your article. I will start by listing the firearms that I own: AR-15, M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, Remington Nylon-66, Ruger Magpul 10/22 Takedown, Henry U.S. Survival Rifle, Chiappa Badger Takedown Xtreme, Winchester Wildcat, and a Citadel Trakr LR. I enjoy owning, target shooting, and cleaning my rifles. I do not hunt but have no issue with hunting whatsoever.
Most doctors I know have no opinion one way or the other whether or not their patients own firearms as they also don't care what kind of car they drive or whether they rent or own their own home. However, theoretically, that information could possibly have a bearing on their health.
Most jobs have a "weird insular vocabulary." Talk to a carpenter, a plumber, a police officer, a military officer, or someone who works at FedEx. They all have their job-related vocabulary that might be a mystery to someone not of that employment.
As a doctor, I never noted a "preoccupation with mankind's objectionable" bodily functions. It's all part of being human and to most docs is no different than the functioning of your eyes, ears, skin, or joints (or anything else regarding being a living human being.) As a Deputy State Medical Examiner for Maryland, I was certainly affected when I had to go to the scene of an unattended death of someone who put a shotgun in their mouth in a three-story walk-up in July two weeks previously. However, it was not a preoccupation.
During my residency, I was never treated as "dumb as a sack of hammers." I was treated as what I was: a new and inexperienced physician. No one ever treated me as "dumb." Inexperienced, yes. Dumb, no.
As a resident physician not on one occasion in three years did I have the time to "hang out" in the doctor's lounge. We did occasionally gather in the resident's room and bellyache about things.
I was never once even remotely disrespected by an attending (fully trained doctors on the medical staff) physician regarding my income as a resident physician. Not. One. Time. And I never heard of anyone who had been. As a first-year resident, I made about the same income as a first-year public school teacher or a new police officer just out of the academy.
I never heard or noted anything in my training or continuing medical education that indicated that the medical profession in general did not "care for privately owned firearms."
"Guns in the home" is a health inventory question to initiate with a patient just the same as gauging seatbelt use, alcohol and drug consumption, occupation, tobacco use, and sexual activity. Knowledge of those things may help the physician to better understand the patient's home and health situation and to be able to advise on health and safety issues. For example, I also discussed open 5-gallon buckets with those with small children or grandchildren. As a physician and as a Deputy Medical Examiner for the State of Maryland, I saw more than my share of accidental as well as intentional injuries and deaths that were highly likely to have been preventable caused by machinery, farm equipment, vehicles, power tools, and firearms. If a gun owner interprets that question as an insult, a comment on their manhood, or a threat, then that is a person with possible psychological issues. A patient who was a Maryland State Police trooper routinely would put his service weapon on top of the refrigerator when he got home from work. He shared with me the time his 7-year-old daughter was pointing it at him with a smile when he walked into the kitchen one evening. He thanked me for bringing those issues up with him and my patients.
Yes, a discussion of firearm safety often led to a discussion of firearms in general. One patient even included me in his will as a recipient of his M-1 Carbine.
Most accidental firearm discharges leading to injuries or deaths are not caused by criminals or criminal activity. Read the disclaimers on any new firearm's box or instructions. Quotes from the Winchester Wildcat firearm manual: "Failure to follow any of the following warnings could result in serious injury or death." "Never rely totally on your firearm's mechanical safety." And on and on. It would seem half of the manual's type is in boldfaced red printing. Don't tell me it is just to reduce liability. The phrase "Failure to follow any of these warnings could result in serious injury or death" is mentioned 16 times in the 28-page Wildcat manual. You'd be amazed, or maybe you would not be, by the irresponsible and stupid things people do with firearms from inexperience, when intoxicated or high, showing off, joking around, angry, or in an argument. Every warning in that manual and others like it is absolutely true and will not be followed by multiple people in the U.S. over the next 24 hours resulting in themselves, a loved one, a friend, or a child's injury or death.
Yes, please decide who is to be your doctor based on their politics or support for the Second Amendment. While you're at it, include religion, race, sex, and marital status. Don't forget to ask the doctor if they've been unfaithful to their spouse or intend to be unfaithful. These questions are NOT the way to choose a doctor and are unhelpful!
No, capitalism does not "drive" everything in medicine. What "drives" healthcare for the most part are large health insurance companies, Pharma, Medicare, large healthcare systems, choices people make, and government policy. Try "shopping" for a doctor, a less expensive CT scan, or a cheaper helicopter at 2 am after you hit the ER with a trauma code. Or go comparison shopping for a doctor when your 2-year-old's temperature hits 105 and he's seizing.
Sitting next to you, doctor, might not be so safe. You, being armed, might actually draw fire.
At least you carry on an empty chamber.
A question for you: Do you dress "tactically" at work?

While I would like to think that topics of gun ownership with your doctor is benign I can tell you it is not. The AMA, CDC and other medical association have done all they can to enforce gun control, form their lobbyist to their work with gun control organizations. The brass at the top running the medical industry have made their position clear. Now, doctors at the end of the medical food chain may not have an opinion one way or the other, but I can tell you that every time a medical record contain information on gun ownership it is stacked in their statistics (most likely skewed) and reflected in their biased push for gun control. A quick google search on the "medical views on gun ownership", "doctors recommendation on firearms", will tell you all you need to know. I'd be foolish to divulge firearms ownership with anyone in an industry that has made their position so clear, even if the doctors asking the questions are not at the root of it, the information is available and used by those higher up the food chain.

I am a retired family doctor after 40 years of practice in a semi-rural setting. I was somewhat perplexed by some of the points you made in your article. I will start by listing the firearms that I own: AR-15, M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, Remington Nylon-66, Ruger Magpul 10/22 Takedown, Henry U.S. Survival Rifle, Chiappa Badger Takedown Xtreme, Winchester Wildcat, and a Citadel Trakr LR. I enjoy owning, target shooting, and cleaning my rifles. I do not hunt but have no issue with hunting whatsoever.
Most doctors I know have no opinion one way or the other whether or not their patients own firearms as they also don't care what kind of car they drive or whether they rent or own their own home. However, theoretically, that information could possibly have a bearing on their health.
Most jobs have a "weird insular vocabulary." Talk to a carpenter, a plumber, a police officer, a military officer, or someone who works at FedEx. They all have their job-related vocabulary that might be a mystery to someone not of that employment.
As a doctor, I never noted a "preoccupation with mankind's objectionable" bodily functions. It's all part of being human and to most docs is no different than the functioning of your eyes, ears, skin, or joints (or anything else regarding being a living human being.) As a Deputy State Medical Examiner for Maryland, I was certainly affected when I had to go to the scene of an unattended death of someone who put a shotgun in their mouth in a three-story walk-up in July two weeks previously. However, it was not a preoccupation.
During my residency, I was never treated as "dumb as a sack of hammers." I was treated as what I was: a new and inexperienced physician. No one ever treated me as "dumb." Inexperienced, yes. Dumb, no.
As a resident physician not on one occasion in three years did I have the time to "hang out" in the doctor's lounge. We did occasionally gather in the resident's room and bellyache about things.
I was never once even remotely disrespected by an attending (fully trained doctors on the medical staff) physician regarding my income as a resident physician. Not. One. Time. And I never heard of anyone who had been. As a first-year resident, I made about the same income as a first-year public school teacher or a new police officer just out of the academy.
I never heard or noted anything in my training or continuing medical education that indicated that the medical profession in general did not "care for privately owned firearms."
"Guns in the home" is a health inventory question to initiate with a patient just the same as gauging seatbelt use, alcohol and drug consumption, occupation, tobacco use, and sexual activity. Knowledge of those things may help the physician to better understand the patient's home and health situation and to be able to advise on health and safety issues. For example, I also discussed open 5-gallon buckets with those with small children or grandchildren. As a physician and as a Deputy Medical Examiner for the State of Maryland, I saw more than my share of accidental as well as intentional injuries and deaths that were highly likely to have been preventable caused by machinery, farm equipment, vehicles, power tools, and firearms. If a gun owner interprets that question as an insult, a comment on their manhood, or a threat, then that is a person with possible psychological issues. A patient who was a Maryland State Police trooper routinely would put his service weapon on top of the refrigerator when he got home from work. He shared with me the time his 7-year-old daughter was pointing it at him with a smile when he walked into the kitchen one evening. He thanked me for bringing those issues up with him and my patients.
Yes, a discussion of firearm safety often led to a discussion of firearms in general. One patient even included me in his will as a recipient of his M-1 Carbine.
Most accidental firearm discharges leading to injuries or deaths are not caused by criminals or criminal activity. Read the disclaimers on any new firearm's box or instructions. Quotes from the Winchester Wildcat firearm manual: "Failure to follow any of the following warnings could result in serious injury or death." "Never rely totally on your firearm's mechanical safety." And on and on. It would seem half of the manual's type is in boldfaced red printing. Don't tell me it is just to reduce liability. The phrase "Failure to follow any of these warnings could result in serious injury or death" is mentioned 16 times in the 28-page Wildcat manual. You'd be amazed, or maybe you would not be, by the irresponsible and stupid things people do with firearms from inexperience, when intoxicated or high, showing off, joking around, angry, or in an argument. Every warning in that manual and others like it is absolutely true and will not be followed by multiple people in the U.S. over the next 24 hours resulting in themselves, a loved one, a friend, or a child's injury or death.
Yes, please decide who is to be your doctor based on their politics or support for the Second Amendment. While you're at it, include religion, race, sex, and marital status. Don't forget to ask the doctor if they've been unfaithful to their spouse or intend to be unfaithful. These questions are NOT the way to choose a doctor and are unhelpful!
No, capitalism does not "drive" everything in medicine. What "drives" healthcare for the most part are large health insurance companies, Pharma, Medicare, large healthcare systems, choices people make, and government policy. Try "shopping" for a doctor, a less expensive CT scan, or a cheaper helicopter at 2 am after you hit the ER with a trauma code. Or go comparison shopping for a doctor when your 2-year-old's temperature hits 105 and he's seizing.
Sitting next to you, doctor, might not be so safe. You, being armed, might actually draw fire.
At least you carry on an empty chamber.
A question for you: Do you dress "tactically" at work?
None of that changes the fact that the AMA and a concerted group of doctors began the process of asking about firearms in the home to further violate the Dickey Amendment. The question has never been asked of me or presented on a questionnaire by any doctor or medical facility and if it magically showed up ( as it did for millions of people) you can bet I would be suspicious and would not treat it the same as my doctor asking me if I smoke. Insinuating it has negative effects on your health is A) clearly biased thinking prevalent among anti gun activists and politicians and B) a complete fallacy. No doctor has any business asking that question. If my doctor started lecturing me about firearm safety he would be immediately fired and should probably try his hand at being a firearm instructor or something.

Since you strongly disapprove of judging or choosing your doctor based on politics ( which in theory I agree with) please elaborate on just what it is any of us actually have to base our choice of a doctor on ? As far as I know word of mouth or whether or not you like them are pretty much the only things at our disposal. And frankly I have fired more than one doctor and dentist based on the fact that I didn't like their demeanor. And their demeanor has exactly as much to do with their skill as a doctor as their position on the 2nd amendment.

Nice first post by the way. Enjoy your time here on the forum.

While I would like to think that topics of gun ownership with your doctor is benign I can tell you it is not. The AMA, CDC and other medical association have done all they can to enforce gun control, form their lobbyist to their work with gun control organizations. The brass at the top running the medical industry have made their position clear. Now, doctors at the end of the medical food chain may not have an opinion one way or the other, but I can tell you that every time a medical record contain information on gun ownership it is stacked in their statistics (most likely skewed) and reflected in their biased push for gun control. A quick google search on the "medical views on gun ownership", "doctors recommendation on firearms", will tell you all you need to know. I'd be foolish to divulge firearms ownership with anyone in an industry that has made their position so clear, even if the doctors asking the questions are not at the root of it, the information is available and used by those higher up the food chain.
Well, the good news is that covid 19 and the response to it has pulled the curtain back quite a bit on "Medical professionals". I'm not painting them all with a broad brush, but anyone who doesn't think the CDC is political or that the AMA doesn't put out "Official opinions" in an effort to shape public policy is living in la la land. I don't trust either any more than I do politicians and millions and millions of people agree with me. If your doctor urged you to wear a mask you should have fired him.

And it seems to me the good doctor up there joined this forum specifically to respond to this story with his pitch for why doctor's asking about firearms in the home is as benign as asking if you smoke or wear a seatbelt.

Every doctor is going to urge you to quit smoking. Why ? Because smoking will most likely kill you eventually. Think about that a second. If you don't think attempting to sway public opinion to believing the same thing is true about guns in the home is the reason doctors ask that question or come out publicly via statements by the AMA and CDC you are ludicrously naive.

By the way, I fired a doctor a few years back for harping on me about smoking. Every time I had any problem he tried to equate it with smoking. When I "Interviewed" his replacement I made it clear that while I would tolerate a certain amount of urging me to quit, as I know it is inherent with GOOD doctors to recommend you quit smoking, excessive harping or blaming all my issues on it would result in me going elsewhere.

This whole phenomenon of elevating doctors to some sort of all knowing, infallible status is ridiculous. It serves them well that people believe that, but it's no different than having blind faith in the weatherman. Neither of whom by the way lose their job when they fail to do their job competently.

My pain care Doc always carried. That neat little PDA pouch carried a small 9mm. A surgeon I frequented (8-9, maybe more surgeries to put me back together) was retired AF and he couldn’t care less as long as you didn’t come into his office butt naked.

For me the bottom line is. As a SWAMPS (Straight, White, Anglo-Saxon, Male, Protestant, Smoker) if I walked in claiming to be a Black pregnant female, NO ONE WOULD HAVE THE BALLS TO BAT AN EYELASH! Yet the AMA, CDC, ETC., can pressure Dr.s into asking B.S. questions. I'm not playing. They are already picking my pocket to pay for people that are too lazy to pay their own debt. Stay in your own G.D. lane. :mad:

Back