testtest

Does Your EDC (gear not gun) Change

The Night Rider

Professional
Or Has It Changed In Response To The World Going Crazy ?

I recently saw a thread entitled "What Things Are Indispensable For You To Carry?"

It made me really think about what I carry on a daily basis. I don't know that anything has really CHANGED but I am a lot more intentional about having a knife on me at ALL times and a Multitool EVERY time I leave home.

It has nothing to do with the current insanity but the night the two guys tried to rob me I decided I wasn't EVER walking out the building without a gun, not even to take out the trash or check the mail.

I read a post on another forum about a guy who wanted to avoid the drama associated with Convenience Stores so he decided never to leave home without a water bottle. That made sense to me so I started carrying my Tal water bottle every time I left home. Water at my gym is $1.50 a bottle so I've saved money on that.

The only REAL change I've made is leaving my work bag at home because I'm not working. I carry my Hiking Pack when I'm going hiking (Duh) or if I'm leaving town. I really believe I've got a better chance if having my car broken into if I leave it in the car and there's really nowhere IN TOWN that's THAT far away that I'd need a pack to get home.

I have a basic tool kit in the car but that's not "EDC" especially since I don't drive away from home every day.

So has anyone made any changes?

Not really, I have a GHB I carry with stuff in it. But I have done that for years. Have always carried water and emergency supplies which change a bit for seasons.

I made one concession to age and progress in the past 6 months as I am trying my first polymer pistol with red dot and light capabilites. It does happen to have a greater magazine capacity so there is that.

Like, the biggest change to all this mess is a bit closer scrutiny of situations in my area before travel.

Within roughly the last year or two I added POM pepper spray to the stuff I carry. You really do need something "between a harsh word and a gun" for aggressive miscreants who don't pose a lethal threat. And I started keeping a gun on me even at home, not because of any increased danger, but because, upon reflection, it seemed like the most rational place to keep it!

I can't deny it would be prudent to also carry a personal ankle first aid kit for wounds you might receive in an altercation. But I haven't done that yet.

My situational awareness has always been high, I have to say being forced to draw my gun in the response to a couple low life individuals
(one armed with a gun) who made an attempt to rob me or take my truck it’s been heightened to a higher level.
I now carry extra magazines and a knife and I’m still working on a new holster for my revolver to be used as a backup.
I continue move forward to making rational changes in how I travel whether it’s to the store down the street or across the state. Priority one is making it home.

Nope. Mine is the same as it always was. I have stuff in my vehicle but I also have a pack I can grab if I have to leave in a hurry. It goes with me every time I leave. I didn't take it with me to Texas ( I just got back tonight) instead I brought a plethora of other stuff since I was rolling in a caravan.

By the way, the border checkpoint going north up along the gulf is apparently equipped with all kinds of high tech gadgets. Heat sensors and whatever. They had a dog, but the guy literally came to my window and said " God **** that's a big azz trailer. Is it full?" I told him it only had about 5000 lbs in it and that it was really too big for the truck I was hauling it with. He said, "Good luck and have a nice day". I guess 2 white boys and their wives and an old woman rolling up from the border with a massive trailer pulled by one truck, another 26' U Haul pulling a car on a car hauler and a couple women playing Bandit in a lead car isn't that suspicious.

Nope. Mine is the same as it always was. I have stuff in my vehicle but I also have a pack I can grab if I have to leave in a hurry. It goes with me every time I leave. I didn't take it with me to Texas ( I just got back tonight) instead I brought a plethora of other stuff since I was rolling in a caravan.

By the way, the border checkpoint going north up along the gulf is apparently equipped with all kinds of high tech gadgets. Heat sensors and whatever. They had a dog, but the guy literally came to my window and said " God **** that's a big azz trailer. Is it full?" I told him it only had about 5000 lbs in it and that it was really too big for the truck I was hauling it with. He said, "Good luck and have a nice day". I guess 2 white boys and their wives and an old woman rolling up from the border with a massive trailer pulled by one truck, another 26' U Haul pulling a car on a car hauler and a couple women playing Bandit in a lead car isn't that suspicious.
I remember those check points very well and never had an issue with them, when I pulled up to answer questions I always put all my truck windows down to let them know I was the only one in it and answered yes to being a US citizen and I was on my way. When I was driving to the airport in San Antonio and had a travel bag and was asked about it I told them I was flying out on business and was never searched. If you treat them with respect you get respect back, being argumentative about answering questions just gets you in trouble. They just have a job to do.

I remember those check points very well and never had an issue with them, when I pulled up to answer questions I always put all my truck windows down to let them know I was the only one in it and answered yes to being a US citizen and I was on my way. When I was driving to the airport in San Antonio and had a travel bag and was asked about it I told them I was flying out on business and was never searched. If you treat them with respect you get respect back, being argumentative about answering questions just gets you in trouble. They just have a job to do.
I fully expected to at least be asked a few pertinent questions. Literally the only question he asked me was if that trailer was full.

I fully expected to at least be asked a few pertinent questions. Literally the only question he asked me was if that trailer was full.
It goes without saying it’s known who the authorities at the check points are looking for, I remember once before I moved to Texas I was being driven back to the airport for a flight home, the driver was of Mexican heritage and the stop was completely different, I was asked to exit the vehicle and asked if I was alright and in the vehicle of my own free will. Of course I understood the question and told the officer the driver was an employee of the company I worked for and an outstanding individual. The driver “Hector” took it all in stride and we were on our way.

It goes without saying it’s known who the authorities at the check points are looking for, I remember once before I moved to Texas I was being driven back to the airport for a flight home, the driver was of Mexican heritage and the stop was completely different, I was asked to exit the vehicle and asked if I was alright and in the vehicle of my own free will. Of course I understood the question and told the officer the driver was an employee of the company I worked for and an outstanding individual. The driver “Hector” took it all in stride and we were on our way.
Yeah we made the same comments after we got through. According to some SCOTUS case, the border patrol is allowed to suspend 4th amendment rights temporarily in the face of " Reasonable suspicion" and they are allowed to profile.

My daughter used to live in El Paso. Every time she got stopped at a check point (she says) they try to hit on her.

She would roll up to the checkpoint, roll down her window and before they said anything say "I'm an American" " I was born at the American Army hospital in Wurzburg Germany." and the BP is still trying to start a conversation and pick her up.

Back