testtest

Don't shoot at Shadows

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Even without the flashlight technologies of today, the shooter could have turned a light on – or simply used his voice to shout a warning – to avoid the tragic loss of a life.

1699389407619.png

The last thing I'll do is to search my house for a burglar using a flash light to clear an area/home.
Use hi-intensity light sticks to toss into dark areas.

They will either scare off an intruder since they'll know someone is aware, or you'll light up an area so you don't have to shoot at a shadow and/or identify your own position with a light.

Last edited:
Use hi-intensity light sticks to toss into dark areas.

They will either scare off an intruder since they'll know someone is aware, or you'll light up an area so you don't have to shoot at a shadow and/or identify your own position with a light.
Sorry I can't hold it anymore, I tried believe me, but this is becoming silly.

Are you advocating to carry a bundle of glow sticks in your pocket, walk around in your house and toss some in dark areas instead of using a light as a strategy against burglars because they will be scared? And that is plan B once all the light switch strategically positioned along your path have been used? Is plan C a pack of domesticated fireflies? Anything but a light to see in the dark?

I'm trying to be as polite and non-confrontational as possible, but you're making it very difficult, so I'll take the bait: perhaps it is time to learn how to use a weapon light properly, or even a flashlight 😁

Last edited:
1 big rule applies:
Dont pull the trigger unless you know your target… and what may be behind.
Screw the lights.
Lets talk fundamentals.
Its my house . I can get anywhere in the dark without a light as I do all the time to go to a room and not wake family, restroom or get ready for work at early hours.
I know my house blind folded without hitting a knee ..

Intruder does not.

Im getting the upper hand. Flip a damn light switch, surprise the hell out of them, make positive ID and taken necessary action.

I have better technology for night than my local SWAT team, but I’m going to use a damn light switch to my advantage when it gives me the edge.

Surprise !!!

Why would you go after someone in your own home with a weapon light, or flashlight..here I come.. can you see me now … its not about fair.. its about advantage to win.

1699504037440.gif

One more thing… I’m not police on a burglary call . its not my job to go into unfamiliar ground to root out a bad guy.
My job is to protect my home.
A cop needs a whole set of tools that me as a homeowner does not.
My job is to protect and win.
Advantage is mine. Big advantage.
LEO is basically a perp feeling his way around unfamiliar ground at night. Whole different game for a homeowner

Turning the lights on why you don't know what's out there isn't the best idea you have zero advantage if all the obstacles you know by memory are now in plain sight. And flashlights/weapons lights have on/off switches.

I don't know why we're going in this fantasy of "if you're not an LEO superhero chasing perps don't even buy a flashlight light" again, but turning your light on and walking around with it on is not how to use a light, that is all I'm saying. Since we're in the world of fantasy, a semi-sophisticated burglar will cut the power or simply unscrew lightbulbs, then what? He will have a flashlight for sure, you won't because you're "not LEO" 😂

I will drop it for the sake of peace and quiet, but I'm really not getting this obstination at refusing to admit that flashlights are useful other than "chasing perps in the dark". This is odd and obtuse, but to each his/her own, and seems like you all have a plan all lined up. A plan is better than no plan :)

Turning the lights on why you don't know what's out there isn't the best idea you have zero advantage if all the obstacles you know by memory are now in plain sight. And flashlights/weapons lights have on/off switches.

I don't know why we're going in this fantasy of "if you're not an LEO superhero chasing perps don't even buy a flashlight light" again, but turning your light on and walking around with it on is not how to use a light, that is all I'm saying. Since we're in the world of fantasy, a semi-sophisticated burglar will cut the power or simply unscrew lightbulbs, then what? He will have a flashlight for sure, you won't because you're "not LEO" 😂

I will drop it for the sake of peace and quiet, but I'm really not getting this obstination at refusing to admit that flashlights are useful other than "chasing perps in the dark". This is odd and obtuse, but to each his/her own, and seems like you all have a plan all lined up. A plan is better than no plan :)
I dont live in a cave.
There is ambient light, night lights and we have vaulted ceilings. Even I need a step ladder to get to light bulbs. Oh I have lights, weapon lights and even NVGs, but I’ll only use them if they’re needed.

I have full advantage. Perp doesnt know I’m there and perp doesnt know there is a gun in my hand.

Its not fantasy, but you have all the fantasies you want with your weapon light Mr Operator.
Also, police have one technique where they keep the light away from their body. Why.. so they dont get shot in the chest.

Its not fantasy, but you have all the fantasies you want with your weapon light Mr Operator.
Also, police have one technique where they keep the light away from their body. Why.. so they dont get shot in the chest.
Chill bud, it's OK to disagree. I do not have a helmet or NVG, just a mere flashlight, but I'm the "Operator"? Oh the irony :D

I'll remember from now on that carrying a flashlight is being an "Operator", let's go count how many we have in the EDV Thread...

WMLs are of limited utility to civilians. That’s just a fact. Some guys like them on their carry pistols in case they’re accosted in a dark alley. Legit I suppose. Personally I avoid dark alleys but that’s just me. In my house I have no use for a light of any sort for defense. Ambient lighting and extreme knowledge of my surroundings has me covered. That’s my situation. Yours may differ.

WMLs are of limited utility to civilians. That’s just a fact. Some guys like them on their carry pistols in case they’re accosted in a dark alley. Legit I suppose. Personally I avoid dark alleys but that’s just me. In my house I have no use for a light of any sort for defense. Ambient lighting and extreme knowledge of my surroundings has me covered. That’s my situation. Yours may differ.
Agree 100%, there is a vast area of nuances and not one size fits all.

Be sure of you target is something my Dad taught me a long, long time ago when he started teaching me to hunt. It still applies. I would rather be shot by a perp than shoot one of my kids trying to surprise me for my birthday. My Dad also used to say there are worse things than dying. No matter what it takes, be absolutely sure before you put your finger on the trigger.

Be sure of you target is something my Dad taught me a long, long time ago when he started teaching me to hunt. It still applies. I would rather be shot by a perp than shoot one of my kids trying to surprise me for my birthday. My Dad also used to say there are worse things than dying. No matter what it takes, be absolutely sure before you put your finger on the trigger.
I have one kid. She lives 6 houses down. She has a key to my house but knows way better than to come into my house in the middle of the night. So if you come in my house in the middle of the night and you aren’t hollering “ police dept.” or some such thing, you may be making a huge error in judgement.

I have one kid. She lives 6 houses down. She has a key to my house but knows way better than to come into my house in the middle of the night. So if you come in my house in the middle of the night and you aren’t hollering “ police dept.” or some such thing, you may be making a huge error in judgement.
Even if they are shouting “police”….if there ain’t cherries flashing through my windows, I’m probably going to treat them like any other intruder.

I don’t live a lifestyle where cops are going to kick in my door in the middle of the night; and if I was kicking in someone’s door for nefarious reasons…I guarantee you I’d be shouting “Police! Search Warrant!” to confuse the issue and throw my intended victims off guard.

Just saying.

Even if they are shouting “police”….if there ain’t cherries flashing through my windows, I’m probably going to treat them like any other intruder.

I don’t live a lifestyle where cops are going to kick in my door in the middle of the night; and if I was kicking in someone’s door for nefarious reasons…I guarantee you I’d be shouting “Police! Search Warrant!” to confuse the issue and throw my intended victims off guard.

Just saying.
That's a very good point.

Back