testtest

Double Stack Fever

Mgar64

Operator
I love the double stack platform! Best option (for me) in terms of ergonomics, trigger and capacity. I now have my Prodigy 4.25“ with some mods done but still have less than 500 rounds down range. I wonder how much better (if at all) some of the other “lower priced“ pistols are. I’m particularly interested in the Staccato P or CS and the Bul Armory SAS II 4.25.” With money I’ve sunk into my Sig P320 and this Prodigy I could have bought a Staccato or Bul Armory + light, red dot, belt system and some ammo! 😞

Last edited:
I love the double stack platform! Best option (for me) in terms of ergonomics, trigger and capacity. I now have my Prodigy 4.25“ with some mods done but still have less than 500 rounds down range. I wonder how much better (if at all) some of the other “lower priced“ pistols are. I’m particularly interested in the Staccato P or CS and the Bul Armory SAS II 4.25.” With money I’ve sunk into my Sig P320 and this Prodigy I could have bought a Staccato or Bul Armory + light, red dot, belt system and some ammo! 😞
Um kinda lost me here, are you saying that the Staccato and Bul are lower priced than the Prodigy? I thought thry were a bit pricier.

Last edited:
Um kinda lost me here, are you saying that the Staccato and Bul are lower priced than the Prodigy? I thought thry were a bit pricier.
Sorry I wasn’t clear. Not saying the Staccato and Bul Armory are priced lower than the Prodigy. What I mean is that the Prodigy, Bul Armory and Staccato ($1,600 -$2,500 or so) are lower priced pistols compared to Atlas, Chambers, etc (above $5k)

I see this a lot and personally, I think you’re chasing an ideal rather than an actual gun. If you buy a BUL or a Staccato are you going to leave them stock or are you going to gunsmith them the way you did your Prodigy? Why was it necessary to do all that work to the Prodigy, chasing an ideal that wasn’t built into it. Why not just buy the Staccato in the first place. Why not just learn to shoot the Prodigy like a beast? If you think it can’t be done with a stock Prodigy you’re welcome to come out with me and mine if you ever make it to N Texas. I’m not being critical, we’re all on our own journey - me, I’m trying to make myself as good as I can be regardless of the gun, not define my limits by the gun. Enjoy yourself. DM me if you want to unload your Prodigy. You’ll have to put it back to stock though.

I'll take a Staccato over a Prodigy every time. Full disclosure, I have never handled a Prodigy.
1685584215587.gif

Hey, don't blame me. The Prodigy is just one more 1911 ( if you in fact think a 1911 can be a 9mm) made by SA that has pages and pages of forums filled with people who have had problems with them. Yeah, I know your's has been flawless, but my daughter has a $100 Ruger 9mm that's been flawless and there are people on this forum with Taurus semi autos they swear by and I ain't buying either of those.

“…I think you’re chasing an ideal rather than an actual gun….”

You’re on to something. Looking for the perfect pistol for me. I’ve had SAO’s, DAO, DA/SA etc. There always seems to be a trade off. Once I discovered the double stack 1911, I knew I found the platform. Now I just want the best gun for the money. I’m no grandmaster USPSA champion and can’t justify $5k ++ for a custom double stack 1911. SA Prodigy, Bul Armory and Staccato represent the models within reach for me. In retrospect a Staccato may have been the right choice given the money I’ve spent. But here I am with the Prodigy. I don’t dislike the gun. I like it much better than my Sig P320. I just wonder if the Staccato would be a significant enough improvement to justify selling the Prodigy at a loss and picking up a Staccato P (or maybe a CS) or even a Bul Armory. The smart thing to do may be to shoot the Prodigy and see how it performs over the next 1000 to 2000 rounds.

Hey, don't blame me. The Prodigy is just one more 1911 ( if you in fact think a 1911 can be a 9mm) made by SA that has pages and pages of forums filled with people who have had problems with them. Yeah, I know your's has been flawless, but my daughter has a $100 Ruger 9mm that's been flawless and there are people on this forum with Taurus semi autos they swear by and I ain't buying either of those.
No one asks to see your Ruger or Taurus at the range, but despite its infamy plenty of people want to check out a Prodigy. Particularly when you tell them the one you have is a unicorn! Even the occasional recalcitrant malcontent - they’re usually visiting from out of state.

1685586393981.gif

No one asks to see your Ruger or Taurus at the range, but despite its infamy plenty of people want to check out a Prodigy. Particularly when you tell them the one you have is a unicorn! Even the occasional recalcitrant malcontent - they’re usually visiting from out of state.

View attachment 40283
You are mistaken. It's not "My Ruger". And I would never take it to the range. As my old man used to say when I was dressed like a bum, " I wouldn't take it across the street to see a :poop: fight."
When I pull out the crazy ass shotguns people want to see them.

Also, as I mentioned in our first ever discussion here, I am almost always completely alone at the range. Which I am almost certain I will be here in a couple hours when I take this one out for some tweaking the scope on the new 250 yard line.

And some steel banging carbine drills with this bad boy.

You are mistaken. It's not "My Ruger". And I would never take it to the range. As my old man used to say when I was dressed like a bum, " I wouldn't take it across the street to see a :poop: fight."

Also, as I mentioned in our first ever discussion here, I am almost always completely alone at the range. Which I am almost certain I will be here in a couple hours when I take this one out for some tweaking the scope on the new 250 yard line.

Curious as to what you have against Rugers. I don't think I have ever seen one of thier pistols not work well. They have traditionally been big clunky and ugly but they worked. And thier revolvers, well they are as good as it gets. Maybe not as polished as Smiths but great revolvers and some of the strongest in the business.

I have less experience with thier Lcps and a few of thier newer models, maybe I missed some clunker, just curious.

Curious as to what you have against Rugers. I don't think I have ever seen one of thier pistols not work well. They have traditionally been big clunky and ugly but they worked. And thier revolvers, well they are as good as it gets. Maybe not as polished as Smiths but great revolvers and some of the strongest in the business.

I have less experience with thier Lcps and a few of thier newer models, maybe I missed some clunker, just curious.
I love Ruger revolvers and I have 3 of them. The LCPs and the SC9s are horrible. Better than nothing is about the best I can say about them. The rest of their semi auto handguns just fill me with ennui.

Will you be wearing your Boba Fett helmet?

One of the employees came down to see who was shooting so early. He had a pretty strange look on his face and stopped a good 100 yards from me. :p

Back