testtest

Dry-Fire Practice Tips

I do a lot of dry fire practice and swear by the Mantis X system. I have a Mantis X3 and I can see a direct correlation between when I practice and when I go to the range. One of the things I really like about the Mantis is that it graphs your movement pre/during/post trigger pull. On the attached image the blue trace is me trying to find my happy place, the yellow trace is as I pull the trigger and the red is the post trigger pull moment. Any score of 95 or better will put you on the bull. In my app I can pull up over two years of data and separate the data out by gun, which is a nice feature.
535A085C-B43F-4941-9369-C776CD631632.png

One of the dry fire drills I like is the wall drill. I found this particularly helpful recently when trying to find my mojo with a couple of HKs I bought.

I was told that dry firing my XD-M Elite 3.8 compact is not good for the weapon. Is this true?
Here we go again. Sorry couldn’t resist. Some people do, some people don’t.
I don’t dry fire my guns.
some say it doesn’t hurt the gun,
some say it’s not good for the gun.
Some say it depends on the gun, rim fire don’t do it.
There is a thread on the forum that has a lot of opinions on dry firing a handgun.

This article is about a system that uses a cartridge like insert for the striker to hit. No damage done using this.

I was told that dry firing my XD-M Elite 3.8 compact is not good for the weapon. Is this true?
Here we go again. Sorry couldn’t resist. Some people do, some people don’t.
I don’t dry fire my guns.
some say it doesn’t hurt the gun,
some say it’s not good for the gun.
Some say it depends on the gun, rim fire don’t do it.
There is a thread on the forum that has a lot of opinions on dry firing a handgun.

This article is about a system that uses a cartridge like insert for the striker to hit. No damage done using this.
If you read the manual it says if you dry fire extensively, use snap caps, it will not hurt your guns dry firing them, but use the snap caps

I've never damaged a firearm from dry firing.Even some .22lr firearms I have are safe to dry fire, but you can't go wrong with snap caps as an added measure of insurance. Always read your owners manual and if you don't have one go to the manufacturers website where they are usually a free download.

Last edited:
I've never damaged a firearm from dry firing.Even some .22lr firearms I have are safe to dry fire, but you can't go wrong with snap caps as an added measure of insurance. Always read your owners manual and if you don't have one go to the manufacturers website where they are usually a free download.
That’s because yeet cannons don’t count……….also doesn’t the yeet cannon manual also doubles as a coloring book???

I do dry fire practice, though with all of my striker fired guns, it's a pain in the patoot, as it requires racking the slide for every "shot." I made my own Snap Caps by filling the primer pocket with silicone caulk, and painted the FMJs bright green with Epoxy Enamel.
Dry firing with my DA/SA guns, M9, PPK/S and various Revolvers is a lot easier.
Whether Dry Firing without a Snap Cap is harder on the gun or not, I just choose to believe it's possible, and error on the side of caution.

I do dry fire practice, though with all of my striker fired guns, it's a pain in the patoot, as it requires racking the slide for every "shot." I made my own Snap Caps by filling the primer pocket with silicone caulk, and painted the FMJs bright green with Epoxy Enamel.
Dry firing with my DA/SA guns, M9, PPK/S and various Revolvers is a lot easier.
Whether Dry Firing without a Snap Cap is harder on the gun or not, I just choose to believe it's possible, and error on the side of caution.
Never thought of doing that with silicone….good tip

Back