testtest

Dumb reloading Q...Norma 308 Anvil Primers?

Are you buying European-spec cases? If so they use the Berdan priming system whereas the primer anvil is part of the case vs. the Boxer system (commonly used in the USA etc where the primer comtains the anvil.

You can tell the differences by looking into the case and seeing if it has a single hole in the primer pocket or a semi-solid one with two-three smaller holes.

Norma makes cases for both primer systems so your initial info needs to be fleshed out on what/where you're trying to get.

You can't use Boxer primers in a Berdan case & visa versa but Berdan cases can be reloaded using a special tool to deprime the cases.

My .02

its deffo boxer primers. one of the selling points is that its reloadable etc.

I just dont want to run into any weird unforeseen issues. Not sure why there are mentioning anvil primers. Dont all primers use some sort of anvil? lol

its deffo boxer primers. one of the selling points is that its reloadable etc.

I just dont want to run into any weird unforeseen issues. Not sure why there are mentioning anvil primers. Dont all primers use some sort of anvil? lol
Berdan primers are just as reloadable as boxer. Just requires a different setup.

Interesting! I never knew that across the pond they used berdan in brass. I've only seen berdan in steel and aluminum cases.
Learned something new today.

side note. the thread has absolutely zero to do with Berdan primers lol
I disagree.
Your very first post starts out talking about the difference in primers and which you should use.
If your Norma brass is berdan primed instead of boxer primed then it has everything to do with it.
You cannot use boxer primers in a berdan primed case...that I know of.

I disagree.
Your very first post starts out talking about the difference in primers and which you should use.
If your Norma brass is berdan primed instead of boxer primed then it has everything to do with it.
You cannot use boxer primers in a berdan primed case...that I know of.
Sure you can...you just have to modify the case.

IIRC, it mainly involves reaming out the primer cup and drilling a new flash hole.

People do it when reloading surplus 7.62x54 steel cased ammo (yes, it's possible)...

So I will be starting to reload soon. I have most everything I need.

I was thinking of buying some Norma 308 ammo and I see this statement in bold:

"Norma rifle cartridges are fitted with anvil primers giving extremely uniform and reliable ignition."

Sooo, is there any reason I cant use CCI 200 primers to reload these catridges? https://d3gxe0jmvtuxbc.cloudfront.net/images/Product/large/110615.jpg
JonJon,
If I may suggest, EVERY aspect of a reloaded cartridge is dependent (when it comes to accuracy and grouping) upon the rifle or weapon you are reloading for. I've always been an "ACCURACY FREEK" and loaded for two different .308's (bolt guns). And on other blogs having to do with reloading, people would make suggestions about using certain primers, casings and powders that they claimed worked best in THEIR rifles at varying distances from 100yds all the way out to 1K. But since I primarily shot at 100 - 200 yds, I tested several combinations of loads and even Bullet Seating Depths to find which my SPECIFC rifle produced the tightest 5 shot groups. My point is that you can read articles of claims by a bunch of well meaning folks that in reality, won't make a hill of beans except for what you weapons likes the best. And for what it's worth, one of my .308's (A Ruger M77V with a match grade barrel - 1:10 Twist) and former SWAT TEAM RIFLE, performed the best using Lapua Casings, Fed Match Primers and RE15 Powder. But do note, that my Sniper Team partner/spotter, also had the same Rifle brand (some two or three serials numbers off mine) and his had the identical set up, barrel and scope. Yet his performed better for him using Lake City Brass, Fed Match Primers and a slightly different Powder gr amount. And if you are going to test brass, might consider trying some Petersen Brass which I found was actually more consistent in measurement from piece to piece in a box of 50 than Lapua with my 260 Remington Rifle. So you might consider trying various combinations if you have the availability to do so. And don't forget bullet seating depths tests once you've settle on a certain bullet weight that you believe your baby shoots the best. Good luck and most of all, have fun!

Back