testtest

“Duty to Retreat” Laws Turn the Victim into the Criminal

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
Be aware that if you're traveling through or vacationing in a “duty to retreat” jurisdiction you may be facing charges if you stand your ground to defend yourself because some places determine that you had choices to escape when you were assaulted.

This reinforces the need to be aware of these types of laws when traveling.

1713720781158.png

Hi,

Where I live is a Castle Doctrine state with NO duty to retreat at the citizen's residence, vehicle, or place of business. It's not a pure "stand your ground" law but there is no affirmative duty to retreat anywhere. Open carry is legal for anyone 18 or older (otherwise not prohibited to own a firearm), concealed carry requires a license and my state has reciprocity with many others. The USCCA has a handy reference to look up your state laws.

Quote from the article: "This is what comes of making laws for the utopia you want, not the world we have."

This is the modern liberal progressive mindset that is ruining society and our country.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Last edited:
Fair point, but stand your ground laws have also generated a lot of sport murders and several mistaken address killings.

In my view, you have a duty to not kill anyone you don't have to. Stand your ground is a defense, not a license.

Fair point, but stand your ground laws have also generated a lot of sport murders and several mistaken address killings.

In my view, you have a duty to not kill anyone you don't have to. Stand your ground is a defense, not a license.
Jesus. You never quit. Straight up spouting the DNC talking points. You got data to back that up ? I bet you can name one. Trayvon Martin. And that's dubious and predicated on your belief that Trayvon was just some innocent kid eating candy and was hunted down by the evil white ( oops, hispanic) man. And the wrong address thing ( which you will only be able to name 2 or 3) has zero to do with SYG. Castle maybe.

I do agree with your last 2 sentences, as does everyone else here.

Be aware that if you're traveling through or vacationing in a “duty to retreat” jurisdiction you may be facing charges if you stand your ground to defend yourself because some places determine that you had choices to escape when you were assaulted.

This reinforces the need to be aware of these types of laws when traveling.

View attachment 56350
Just make sure you bury the body

Self defense is a universal concept. There is often a fine difference between standing your ground, and intentionally remaining to engage in mutual combat. Even in Florida where stand your ground is well established in law, avoiding violence is usually the wise course of action. Stand your ground is not a license to kill. It supports the right of self defense Without having to run away. Every self defense case is different in circumstances, and will be ultimately judged using the reasonable person standard. Was it reasonable and necessary? You must know the law where you are, and just because you can doesn't mean you should.

North Carolina once had the "fall back three times" rule, in your own house no less.
Then the legislature passed Castle Doctrine with a Republican in the Governors Mansion and we haven't looked back since.
Thankfully the state house is still Republican by a large majority, especially since our Governor isn't, and seems to have a God complex.

Back