testtest

Early M1A with fake stripper clip guide

Almost 39 years ago in late 1984, I bought my M1A. After a few problems that required sending it back for repair, such as the safety going from "safe" to "off" when operating the op-rod, which was a factory recall, I have an un-answered question about what is supposed to be the stripper clip guide.

The cut-out in what is supposed to be the stripper clip guide is far too small to be a functional stripper clip guide. It is so small and narrow that the head of a 7.62x51 cartridge won't even fit through the slot, much less a real stripper clip intended for use with the M14, which I have plenty of.

So, my question is: What is the purpose of the object that is installed on my M1A that looks like a stripper clip guide, that is installed where the stripper clip is supposed to go, has a slot cut in it like a stripper clip guide, but the slot cut in it is so tiny that a stripper clip won't fit in it?

So, before anyone suggests that I should call Springfield Armory, email them, or send a snail-mail letter with a stamped self-addressed return envelope for a reply; since 1985, as well as since the internet has existed, I have contacted Springfield Armory probably six times to ask them what in heck did they install on my rifle that looks like, but is not, a stripper clip guide. They have never answered me.

So, DOES ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE KNOW WHAT THIS THING IS ON MY M1A?

Almost 39 years ago in late 1984, I bought my M1A. After a few problems that required sending it back for repair, such as the safety going from "safe" to "off" when operating the op-rod, which was a factory recall, I have an un-answered question about what is supposed to be the stripper clip guide.

The cut-out in what is supposed to be the stripper clip guide is far too small to be a functional stripper clip guide. It is so small and narrow that the head of a 7.62x51 cartridge won't even fit through the slot, much less a real stripper clip intended for use with the M14, which I have plenty of.

So, my question is: What is the purpose of the object that is installed on my M1A that looks like a stripper clip guide, that is installed where the stripper clip is supposed to go, has a slot cut in it like a stripper clip guide, but the slot cut in it is so tiny that a stripper clip won't fit in it?

So, before anyone suggests that I should call Springfield Armory, email them, or send a snail-mail letter with a stamped self-addressed return envelope for a reply; since 1985, as well as since the internet has existed, I have contacted Springfield Armory probably six times to ask them what in heck did they install on my rifle that looks like, but is not, a stripper clip guide. They have never answered me.

How about a pic…

The OP brings up a couple of questions. Are there a multitude of stripper clips for M80 rounds? Maybe some fit the M14 and others are specific to a different rifle that may have had a clip guide? I can't assist, because I do not have any strippers for my M1A (although if I found some I'd certainly buy them). Were there different-size clip guides and linstrum's is one for a different application, installed by mistake? I have Armscor, Federal and PMC in my stock (some .308, some M80) and all fit just fine through my rifle's guide. Without any clips, though, I cannot verify linstrum's claim.

To use stripper clips on the M1A I believe you need something like this:
Stripper Clip Guide M14 M1A USGI
M14-099-2T.jpg

Springfield also uses the dovetail for the installed stripper clip guide for the Scope mount with a different insert into the dovetail in the receiver.

Springfield doesn't like to answer mail, electronic or otherwise. Call them.

Thanks guys! I appreciate that you took the time to address my question.

First off, in my original description of what is wrong with the device that is installed on my M1A, I wrote:

"It is so small and narrow that the head of a 7.62x51 cartridge won't even fit through the slot"

What I mean by that is a 7.62 NATO/.308 Winchester cartridge head won't fit through the slot cut in what is supposed to be the stripper clip guide in my rifle. It follows that if the head of the cartridge my rifle is chambered for won't go through the slot cut in the stripper clip guide, then beyond any doubt, a stripper clip won't fit, either, since the stripper clip by design must be substantial wider than the cartridge heads that a stripper clip holds.

As one can see by watching the videos some responders so kindly posted, the slot in the stripper clip guide must be wide enough to accommodate the entire width of the stripper clip, which is substantially wider than the head of a 7.62 NATO/.308 Winchester cartridge, since the stripper clips hold the cartridges by the extractor grooves cut into the base of the cartridge heads.

About some of the other comments, OkiePewPew hit the nail on the head:

"Springfield doesn't like to answer mail, electronic or otherwise. Call them."

Thanks! I kind of figured that out about 20 years ago, that they just don't have time to answer questions about all the minor problems that don't affect how a product shoots or is not a safety or legal issue. What I will say is that I got a response here within a few hours.

It seems that shanneba may have solved the mystery of what is installed on my rifle, where two types of stripper clip systems have been used. One type was most often used, and the other that uses the adapter shown in the photo in shanneba's post, was used in conjunction with a scope mount that was installed in place of the usual stripper clip guide. So, thank you, shanneba, it looks like I need to invest six bucks, plus shipping and handling, to get a stripper clip guide adapter.

So, now I kind of wonder what scope mount was supposed to go with what is on my rifle? I've never used a scope with it, I'm not especially fond of scopes. I use one on my Browning .338 Winchester Magnum autoloader they call a "BAR", it needs one for 200 yard shots

About the photo of the device that came with my rifle, my apologies about its low quality. When I attempted to upload the original 10 megapixel photo, the site informed me the file size was too large, so I had to decrease the resolution. But whatever, this is an up-close photo of what is installed on my M1A.

FWIW, my rifle has a five digit serial number, 030XXX. When I got my rifle in 1984, fired cartridges always had about two dozen rings around them from a rough chamber. The rifle fired groups of about 10 inches at 100 yards, using my own hand loads of Sierra Match King and IMR4895 - I don't hotrod stuff, you don't win matches by pushing things to the limits. I'd had the rifle for maybe three weeks when Springfield sent me a little postage-paid box for the trigger group because of a recall regarding a problem with the safety. So, I sent them the entire rifle back, along with some fired cartridges and one of its 100 yard targets. When I got my rifle back, the only original part was the receiver, everything else was National Match! The only thing I paid for was shipping and insurance, and what I got was a sub-m.o.a. rifle that I've had since probably January or February of 1985 - it took them quite awhile to get my rifle back to me. Yeah, it's a keeper.

Thanks for all your responses and help, it looks like this mystery has been solved.

z m1a clip guide 2a.jpeg

I measured the dimensions of the cutout in what has so far been identified as a scope mount, which has been installed where a stripper clip guide would normally go.

The lesser of the dimensions is 0.215 inches, which is the narrow part. The greater dimension is 0.555 inches, which is the wide part. The opening into the front of the cutout is 0.453 inches wide.

I took these measurements using a machinist's vernier caliper, so, they should be fairly accurate, but because I was working kind of under awkward conditions where I couldn't get things lined up quite as square and at right-angles as possible, the dimensions could be off by maybe three or four thousandths.

I measured the dimensions of the cutout in what has so far been identified as a scope mount, which has been installed where a stripper clip guide would normally go.

The lesser of the dimensions is 0.215 inches, which is the narrow part. The greater dimension is 0.555 inches, which is the wide part. The opening into the front of the cutout is 0.453 inches wide.

I took these measurements using a machinist's vernier caliper, so, they should be fairly accurate, but because I was working kind of under awkward conditions where I couldn't get things lined up quite as square and at right-angles as possible, the dimensions could be off by maybe three or four thousandths.
If the M1A was purchased by you as a first owner new gun it would have come setup with a stripper clip guide that needs to be removed to install the scope mount support guide, if it was a used gun the previous owner already installed the scope mount guide.

I really can't answer why... I bought a M1-A bout 5 years ago in scout squad. I removed the clip guide in order to use a (Bore Buddy) for doing basic cleaning. The the guide was in the way. So with that being said.... It got my curiosity up and I went on a small safari looking for the old guide. Clips fit right in. Basic military surplus clips from Lake City Missouri.

Clips from repack kits Lake City Missouri. Standard government issue.

Attachments

• IMG_20240401_202625579.jpg
    IMG_20240401_202625579.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

I really can't answer why... I bought a M1-A bout 5 years ago in scout squad. I removed the clip guide in order to use a (Bore Buddy) for doing basic cleaning. The the guide was in the way. So with that being said.... It got my curiosity up and I went on a small safari looking for the old guide. Clips fit right in. Basic military surplus clips from Lake City Missouri.
The OP brings up a couple of questions. Are there a multitude of stripper clips for M80 rounds? Maybe some fit the M14 and others are specific to a different rifle that may have had a clip guide? I can't assist, because I do not have any strippers for my M1A (although if I found some I'd certainly buy them). Were there different-size clip guides and linstrum's is one for a different application, installed by mistake? I have Armscor, Federal and PMC in my stock (some .308, some M80) and all fit just fine through my rifle's guide. Without any clips, though, I cannot verify linstrum's claim.
If you're looking for clips or surplus re-pack kits with bandolier get with cleanammocans.com. Each kit comes with bandolier, cardboard inserts, clips and charger. If you just want clips try Sarco website.

Back