testtest

easy to bend an extractor?

Old_Me

Ronin
hey, my buddy at the range has a 1911, it is an S/A 5", g'ment, and his spent shell casings were not being extracted properly a good number of times. (stove piping, dropping them to the ground, etc)

he asked me, if i knew how to fix this, i looked and could see where the extractor (internal by the way) was not holding a spent casing up to the breech face.

i said i had not worked on that before, but when i got home, i checked on how to tune and adjust them. Wilson had what appeared to be a super easy way to bend them.

is this something some of you guys have/had done before?

he really does not want to send it to SA if he can avoid to do so, or the local gunsmith, which isn't very local to him, and IF i can help him out, he'd appreciate that, as all he does is clean and lube, he's not "mechanically inclined" like some of us here.

thanks in advance to all that advise/help.

yeah, i went ahead and ordered up the extractor bending tool and the gauges, and the manual trigger pull gauge. to have on hand for future use.

i called my buddy, i said i can give it a try, using the Wilson video first, he was happy he doesn't have to ship it back to SA.

his philosophy is that at his age, (a bit older than me), he might not live long enough to wait for it to return....:LOL:

oh well.....i know that feeling too...:unsure:

hey, my buddy at the range has a 1911, it is an S/A 5", g'ment, and his spent shell casings were not being extracted properly a good number of times. (stove piping, dropping them to the ground, etc)

he asked me, if i knew how to fix this, i looked and could see where the extractor (internal by the way) was not holding a spent casing up to the breech face.

i said i had not worked on that before, but when i got home, i checked on how to tune and adjust them. Wilson had what appeared to be a super easy way to bend them.

is this something some of you guys have/had done before?

he really does not want to send it to SA if he can avoid to do so, or the local gunsmith, which isn't very local to him, and IF i can help him out, he'd appreciate that, as all he does is clean and lube, he's not "mechanically inclined" like some of us here.

thanks in advance to all that advise/help.
Not hard at all, just have to be careful as not to bend it to far, Wilson method is very good

Not hard at all, just have to be careful as not to bend it to far, Wilson method is very good
yeah, i ordered up the parts (tools) from 3 different places, due to pricings. so it can be at least a week or so for them to arrive, but this friday i had planned on going to the club, i can "adjust it" there and we can test it as well. the range has no such room, and i think they don't want some of them Rambo's to work on guns in a public setting.

UPDATE:
yeah, so i went ahead and tried the Wilson video method, and it does work, my buddies 1911, is extracting quite well.

but, me being a former mechanic and a "Tim the Toolman Taylor" fan, i cannot pass up the tool section of any store, and need to have every tool made...

i went to Midway USA to order up a trigger gauge that measures in ounces. my Lyman digital gauge goes up to 16 ounces, then switches over to pounds.

here is where that tool sits...........

01/28/2023
10:26 A.M.
Shipment Delivered to USPS, Package Acceptance Pending
Providence, RI, United States

since January 28th, the trigger gauge has been at the postal service dungeon.......like WTF...?????

it's a trigger gauge that measures in ounces,(Wheeler Co.) and for proper extractor bend, it is said that you need 25 to 28 ounces of pull.

maybe sometime in the next century, it'll arrive...??

Back