testtest

Electric or Gas for a Car

Given that none of the government officials and none of the self-proclaimed "elites" consider EV as a solution to any their own needs but spend their time spewing about EV to "save the planet", that pretty much settles the argument, no? "Nobody needs to drive more than 100 miles away", does this kind of rhetoric sound familiar to anyone here?

Very much like the esteemed @SimonRL the kind of EV or Hybrid I would consider is this one:

1696869060382.png

Last edited:
Expect bailouts for EV makers…some are reporting they’re losing tens of thousands of dollars on each vehicle they produce. The next phase on the horizon is the flooding the USA with China built small cheap EV’s sans tariffs. Loosing proposition all around for USA.

Hybrid over all electric is viable, but still e-range is limited basically makes no sense if it only runs electric motor for a few lower speed miles and any acceleration engine kicks in.
More to wear out, more to break more to fix. You really have to test drive the hybrids to get a sense of performance and that’s not hit rodding but passing or going up inclines.

Oh, one more thing… that “up to $7500 tax incentive“ the gubmint is pushing, its to lower the Adjusted Gross Income, that $7500 equates to around a one-time $900 +/- $100 added to any expected refund, or deducted if you owe them a payment.
That might cover dealer prep, license and title with the gas trade-in being low balled.

Once all the sheep buy into electric plug-ins, the for profit electricity providers will cry need infrastructure improvements to meet demands and triple the rates which has always been the excuse for decades.

Expect bailouts for EV makers…some are reporting they’re losing tens of thousands of dollars on each vehicle they produce. The next phase on the horizon is the flooding the USA with China built small cheap EV’s sans tariffs. Loosing proposition all around for USA.

Hybrid over all electric is viable, but still e-range is limited basically makes no sense if it only runs electric motor for a few lower speed miles and any acceleration engine kicks in.
More to wear out, more to break more to fix. You really have to test drive the hybrids to get a sense of performance and that’s not hit rodding but passing or going up inclines.

Oh, one more thing… that “up to $7500 tax incentive“ the gubmint is pushing, its to lower the Adjusted Gross Income, that $7500 equates to around a one-time $900 +/- $100 added to any expected refund, or deducted if you owe them a payment.
That might cover dealer prep, license and title with the gas trade-in being low balled.

Once all the sheep buy into electric plug-ins, the for profit electricity providers will cry need infrastructure improvements to meet demands and triple the rates which has always been the excuse for decades.
Rivian who make the very cool electric delivery trucks for Amazon announced that they are currently losing $32k per truck for its R1T pickup.

If folks are looking for just a small sedan the 2023 Toyota Prius is impressive.

Last edited:
Gas for sure. My neighbor bought a Tesla for his wife. Shortly after they got it she was in a fender bender. It too almost a year to get it repaired. Based on the damage I saw, a gas car would have been back in 2 weeks max. When the electricity starts getting rationed due to increased demand to charge those things, getting to work will be nearly impossible. This summer, even our electric co-op asked people to not charge their cars during peak hours here in Texas. This neighbor's house was built by original owner at around the same time as I built my house. The co-op originally put a transformer to feed our 2 houses that was rated for 4 houses. We started getting brownouts shortly after he moved in. His house was drawing so much power that the co-op had to replace the transformer with one rated for 16 houses.

While we have not had any rolling blackouts this past summer, I still felt the need to get a propane powered generator to go with my 1000 gal LP tank. At least my food will not spoil when the blackouts hit.

BTW - If you live in the northern 1/2 of N. America that experiences "real" winters, EVs loose 40-60% of their range in cold conditions due to reduced battery performance & use of the heater.

Plus, typically having lower ground clearance, driving in snow becomes an issue.

There are NO places to charge up a EV if driving thru here. I did see a trailer house have an extension cord hanging out the window to charge a Tesla! There is no way they could produce enough electricity to charge up all the cars and power up homes. Nobody wants to use nuclear so how will they do it and save the planet! Stupid idea!

Many folks don't realize that advertised EV range is under optimum conditions (i.r flat land & no AC/Heater weather) and range decreases dramatically outside those optimum conditions.

It is very dramatic when an EV truck is heavily and/or heavily towing.

Plus, charging times are lengthy even when using the fastest (Class 3) charging station.

Many folks don't realize that advertised EV range is under optimum conditions (i.r flat land & no AC/Heater weather) and range decreases dramatically outside those optimum conditions.

It is very dramatic when an EV truck is heavily and/or heavily towing.

Plus, charging times are lengthy even when using the fastest (Class 3) charging station.
back in the 70's and maybe other times, i cannot recall right now, we had "gas-lines" all the way down the streets..

let's "see" the lines and fights in the future, when there will not be, and there will never be, plenty of charging stations..!!

and everyone is always in a hurry..??

takes me or the Mrs about 6 minutes to "gas up"

let's see tempers flare for those longer charging times......equaling again......not enough charging stations.

back in the 70's and maybe other times, i cannot recall right now, we had "gas-lines" all the way down the streets..

let's "see" the lines and fights in the future, when there will not be, and there will never be, plenty of charging stations..!!

and everyone is always in a hurry..??

takes me or the Mrs about 6 minutes to "gas up"

let's see tempers flare for those longer charging times......equaling again......not enough charging stations.
There’s already fights where douche bros keep intentionally parking their pickup trucks in charging spots.

BTW, I’m sure I’ve made this clear in the past but, in my opinion, if you don’t have a gas powered car with a manual transmission (I believe you Yanks call them stick shifts) you’re just riding, not driving.

Come at me bro…

Back