testtest

electronic vs non

I keep a bag of 3M ear plugs with a NRR of 32dB in my range bag, and I've used those with the kids in the past when shooting outdoors. At the range I often double those up with some Walker Razor active ear muffs. The advantage of the electronic ones is they have a mic and a volume you can set, so that you can hold conversations at the range, with them on, but the microphone cuts out when the noise level goes over about 80dB.

I don't have any electronic protection, but mostly shoot alone. My own range 24/7/365 or 6. I'm thinking about getting some for good reasons, rattlesnakes! I had someone drive up behind me 1 day and didn't know they were there until I took off my protection.

Electronic type (Howard Leight Impact) is my choice. I can hold conversations with them, and when turned-up a bit I can hear vehicles coming up the gravel road that leads to the range. The road is at about a 45º angle to the shooting benches, which puts vehicles out of sight when looking down-range.

I wore the non-electronic (nick-named mickey mouse ears) type when in the Navy, and although they were effective protection, I recall having to pull one side off the ear a bit in order to hold a conversation in a loud (shipboard/metal shop environment). Found a pic online of those things that fit so tight they (imo) caused headaches if worn too long. Also occasionally wore the flight deck cranial helmet the ear muffs are fitted into, as part of the flight deck crash crew........a long, long time ago. :) . (only pic I could find)
Picture1_480x480_669d67e3-81f8-4c28-a6ff-3db53f217be8_1024x1024.png

Last edited:
Back